Holiday Recipes

GOBBLE, GOBBLE, GOBBLE

candy turkey thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is just around the corner. I realize it’s not even Halloween yet, but it’s about time to start thinking about your Thanksgiving menu. Grandma’s extra special stuffing, your mom’s awesome sweet potato casserole and your aunt’s tasty concoction for the creamiest mashed potatoes ever… they are all staples in the traditional Thanksgiving feast. You can’t forget the star: the turkey. Today, I’m going to share a very special family recipe for a delicious Thanksgiving turkey. But this isn’t just any turkey…

We like to call them Little Gobblers! When I was in 7th grade, my mom started making these little guys and continued to make them every. single. year. since. I guess you can say it has turned into our very own family Thanksgiving tradition. We unwrap all of the ingredients, put in a good Christmas movie (most likely White Christmas) and start the assembly line.

Little Gobblers // 7thhouseontheleft.com

The assembly process is pretty much self explanatory. Just use the photo above as your guideline. Simple as that! However, we do have a few tips and tricks to pass along:

• The secret is in the icing. Over the years, we have tried several icings. Not only does it have to taste good, but it also needs to serve as “glue” to keep the Little Gobblers in one piece. Without good stiff icing, let’s just say they won’t ride in the car very well. In our opinion, Betty Crocker Cookie Icing works best. One tube will make about 6 Little Gobblers.
  • Hunt them down. The Nabisco Famous Chocolate Wafer Cookies are used for the base and the back of the turkey. Sometimes, they can be a little hard to find. But if your grocery store carries them, you will find them in the ice cream topping section (you would think they would be in the cookie section, right?). But if you have trouble finding them, thanks to the World Wide Web, you can purchase them online. Or you canΒ visit theΒ Nabisco website and search for them by zip code. Also, make sure you buy an extra box because they tend to break very easily.
  • From Point A to Point B. First of all, you need to make sure your Little Gobblers have enough time to sit and hang out before you show them off to your friends and family. When transporting these little guys, we line the bottom of deep Rubbermaid containers with paper towels. Then place the turkeys on the paper towels diagonally side by side (so the feathers don’t hit each other). The paper towels help the turkeys stay in one place. If we are making a whole flock of Little Gobblers, we like to use the disposable roasting pans.

Whether you decide to make these for Thanksgiving dinner favors, for the kids’ table, that class party you reluctantly signed up for or even something to take to your coworkers; these Little Gobblers will be the talk of the event… and might even out shine the “real” turkey.

In order to make things super easy for you to try this at home, I’ve created a printable shopping list along with a step-by-step assembly guide. Click here to download!

Stephanie Liverman
    October 20, 2010 at 11:10 am

Brooke brought these to Thanksgiving a couple of years ago. Alex fell in love with them. They are so cute and wonderful to eat.

Wanda
    October 20, 2010 at 11:31 am

This is by far the cutest Thanksgiving favor idea EVER! Thanks for sharing!!

Gina G
    October 20, 2010 at 11:46 am

What a great idea! I’m going to have to try these little guys out!

Rebecca @ the lil house that could
    October 20, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Adorable!!!

And I love Nutter Butters…

Robin Redmond
    October 20, 2010 at 12:42 pm

These are way too cute! I cannot wait to make these with my grandchildren. Way back when I was little I made turkeys out of an apple, raisins on toothpicks and an olive. Yours look better and once I saw the Reese’s cup I was sold! Thanks for the new tradition!

Michelle
    October 20, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Talk about ADORABLE! Wow, I can’t wait to show my sister. She will flip!

ashley
    October 20, 2010 at 1:41 pm

these are ADORABLE! we are hosting thanksgiving for the first time so i am totally going to make these. my parents will be so proud:)

Kennedy
    October 20, 2010 at 5:34 pm

i’ve never seen these before! they are really cute. i can’t wait to try these for my nieces and nephews. i love your blog!

Lydia
    October 20, 2010 at 5:48 pm

That is so clever! You see so many of the seasonal candy concoctions. But this is the best I’ve seen by far!

Karen
    October 20, 2010 at 6:04 pm

I’ve luv these! Last year was the first time I had one from your mom and it was ALMOST to cute to eat. Notice I said ALMOST! LOL

Jiye
    October 20, 2010 at 11:26 pm

These are just too cute!!

cyndi
    October 20, 2010 at 11:30 pm

love these! if only i could convince myself it wouldnt be too hard to make like 50 of them.

Laurie
    October 21, 2010 at 1:04 am

I am sooooo making these!!!

Kat
    October 21, 2010 at 1:15 am

OMG! Thank you for sharing these little guys!

Amanda
    February 2, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Maybe I’m really dense … but do you use two reese cups or two wafers? The back of the turkey looks like it’s two reese cups flat sides together.

A picture of the back would be nice. πŸ˜€

Jenny @ Simcoe Street
    October 7, 2011 at 7:40 am

Pinning this and including it in my thanksgiving roundup on my blog today! LOVE IT!

Jenny

paige
    October 18, 2011 at 4:58 pm

What a great idea! I will definitely be making these to bring to my familys thanksgiving dinner! THanks! πŸ™‚

tori
    November 4, 2011 at 11:15 am

such a great idea! I’m definitely going to make these! What are they based on or glued down to? it looks like a thin chocolate wafer or something?

November 4, 2011 at 11:26 am

Yeah, they are “glued” to the thin chocolate wafers that are on the shopping list. Just make sure you get the same icing because it really works the best as the “glue” and hold it all together. I hope you enjoy!! : )

Emily D.
    November 7, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Hi…these are SO cute! Do you think this would be a good activity for kids to assemble at a party?

November 7, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Sure! Though it depends on how old they are… Because you have to be a little patient and hold the cookies for a few seconds while the “glue” (icing) firms up. Hope that helps!!

Betty
    November 7, 2011 at 2:44 pm

This Has Got To Be The Cutest Idea I Have Ever Heard!!!! πŸ™‚

Karolina Alcivar
    November 10, 2011 at 9:21 am

Such amazing idea!I,m glad I find your blog I’m sharing this on my blog today.Thanks for sharing http://karosfunland.blogspot.com/

Brittany Craft
    November 10, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Is there any other way to transport these little guys? I’d like to give them to the teachers at my daughter and son’s school but want the presentation to be nice!

November 12, 2011 at 8:19 am

We have a friend that put them in small acrylic boxes (like the kind that’s used for collector Beanie Babies, haha). You can find those at Michael’s, The Container Store or even some baseball card shops. They might also fit in small mason jars! As long as they fit in the container kind of snug (so they don’t move around), you’ll be good to go! Hope that helps!!

Heather
    November 12, 2011 at 1:42 pm

I love these! I plan to share your picture on our blog…thanks!

Laura Flowers
    November 14, 2011 at 11:12 pm

You are my hero today! We’re making these for my daughter’s class party. Thank-you. Love your printer version too, it’s going to make this so easy.

Laura

BETHANY
    November 15, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Found these on Pinterest and now I LOVE your whole blog! I am making these for my preschooler’s Thanksgiving party and they are turning out great. FYI, I used chocolate covered graham crackers for the base and back and they have turned out just fine!

November 16, 2011 at 8:24 am

Awesome! And that’s a great tip! Thank you : )

British American
    November 25, 2011 at 3:35 pm

I made these for Thanksgiving. They turned out so cute – thank you for the idea. I found them through Pinterest.

Donna
    August 15, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Thanks for this idea – I am always looking to a decoration for cookie trays I sell over the holidays!! This will be there this year

angel195943
    October 31, 2012 at 9:39 pm

so cute have to made them for my class

kara seitz
    November 1, 2012 at 3:26 pm

I can’t wait to make these with my kids….. they really enjoy christmas cookies and this is something they can do for everyone on thanksgiving and it’s something different for dessert !!!!!! thanks for sharing this with all of us on facebook!!! Happy Holidays

Kendall
    November 10, 2012 at 3:58 am

Do you stick another wafer behind the Reeses?

November 10, 2012 at 10:46 am

Yes, you attach it with “glue” (aka icing). Hope that helps!!

Katherine
    November 13, 2012 at 10:52 pm

I couldn’t find the Nabisco wafers, but I did find some World Table Chocolate Cookie Thins that worked perfectly! I used a half a jelly bean for the nose, and when I ran out of orange jelly beans, I cut orange Reeses Pieces in half for the feet. These are so cute! I can’t wait to see the kids’ faces!

November 13, 2012 at 11:21 pm

Great ideas! Thanks for sharing : )

Jenni @ Traveler in the Kitchen
    November 18, 2012 at 5:26 pm

My sister made these to take to a Thanksgiving party yesterday. (Then she made Oreo turkeys and staged them both in battle…)

These are great and everyone loved them. Thanks for the very detailed step by step instructions.

British American
    November 18, 2012 at 9:31 pm

Will be making these for the 2nd year this week. My kids remembered them from last year and wanted me to make them again. This may be a once a year thing now. Thanks! πŸ™‚

November 19, 2012 at 1:21 am

Awesome! Glad to pass it on : )

Sandra
    November 20, 2012 at 4:41 pm

How many days in advance can these be made?

November 20, 2012 at 6:53 pm

We always make them the night before, but if you have them in an air right container, they’ll last longer. Hope that helps!

Michelle
    November 21, 2012 at 6:58 pm

Hi!
    These are ADORABLE! I had a few issues. I had to substitute for the chocolate wafers but I found that dark chocolate fudge stripe keebler cookies worked fine. The only compensation was for the hole in the fudge stripe. You have to adjust the nutter butter lower on the peanut butter cup so the base of the NB can stick into the hole. We also thought maybe next time we would use chocolate cookie icing instead of white. You could see every mistake… and there were a lot. They look adorable and messy- just like the kids that will eat them. Thanks for posting!

Michelle
    November 21, 2012 at 7:00 pm

PS- I also had to use mike and ike for the jelly bellies.

Katelyn
    November 22, 2012 at 12:33 pm

I tried to make these today–got all the supplies called for including the Betty Crocker Icing–mine failed miserably. The icing held nothing together at all–mine fell apart no matter what I did and I downloaded the instructions and followed it to a T. These are cute and I spent a bunch of money on the supplies–just wish I could have gotten them to work πŸ™

November 22, 2012 at 1:00 pm

I’m sorry this happened πŸ™ Maybe the batch of icing wasn’t stuff enough…?

Mandie
    October 30, 2013 at 5:39 pm

These are adorable, but when I tried to make them, the icing did absolutely nothing. Everything fell, apart, and I was really disappointed ’cause they were so cute on the web!!

October 31, 2013 at 9:18 am

That’s so odd! We’ve been using the icing I mentioned in the post for years and have never had this problem. Maybe it was too warm? I’m so sorry this happened for you!

Mandie
    October 30, 2013 at 5:52 pm

P.S.
    I recommend the Betty Crocker frosting that comes in the cans. It’s ten times sticky-er.

Christy Hodges
    November 15, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Can hardly wait to try these, I did not find any step by step instructions, I found the shopping list, but no instructions.

November 15, 2013 at 1:04 pm

The assembly process is pretty much self explanatory. Just use the photo as your guideline and use the cookie icing as your “glue”. : )

Marjie@ HOME AGAIN Jiggety-jig
    October 21, 2014 at 9:51 pm

Shared this last year, and am sharing it again on my site. Thanks for such a cute idea. The directions are linked to this site.