As some of you may have realized already, I’m all about inspiration photos. I have files upon files of inspiration photos on my computer, laptop as well as notebooks (hence the blog design!) filled cover to cover with cut-outs, magazine pages and scraps from anything that inspires me. It’s something I’ve done for years. And it all started when I was in college with a simple computer file called “Future House”. Now that the “future house” is a reality, those photos have come in handy when picking out our finishes. They have been especially helpful as we start thinking about the kitchen.
Though the kitchen is a little further down on our rather large to-do list than some projects that are going on at the moment, we want to get a jump-start on our plan of action. We’ve decided on our top five favorite kitchen inspiration photos and now we’re going to use them come up with a combination that screams, “Greg & Ashley”. Of course, our place isn’t as grand and spacious as some of these photos, but that doesn’t mean we can’t pull inspiration from each photo to make our house feel as luxurious and comfortable as any of them.
After deciphering the inpiration photos, we have found six elements that we “must have” in our new kitchen:
- White cabinetry. I didn’t set out to gather exclusively white kitchens, but 90% of the photos in my entire kitchen inspiration collection (including our top 5) have white cabinetry. We figure that we should probably go with our instincts on this one. We want a kitchen that will be beautiful and enjoyable for many years to come.
- Glass-front cabinetry. By having a few glass-front cabinets, it will open up the space and let me display my collection of white dishes and serving pieces.
- Stainless Steel Appliances. For us, stainless steel was a no-brainer. We love to cook, so the closer we get to a professional kitchen (while preserving a “homey feel”, of course), the better. Stainless steel isn’t just easy on the eyes; it’s easy to keep clean and looking brand new.
- Cottage-Style Lighting. This similarity in all of the inspiration photos might not “hit you in the face” but it’s definitely evident. We already have some recessed lighting installed in the kitchen. However, there are a few places for small pendent lights. By using cottage-style lighting options, this will really charm up the kitchen and bring in a vintage touch.
- Subway tile. Four out of the five photos have subway tile as the backsplash. It’s timeless. It’s classic. And we are huge fans.
- Carrara Marble. Yes, carrera marble can be kinda pricey. But there are ways to use it in your kitchen (especially one as cozy as ours) without breaking the bank. Carrara Marble subway tile for the backsplash? Maybe ; )
That’s the gist of what we’re thinking for our kitchen. We’re so anxious to see how all of it will come together! Do you have any suggestions for anything we didn’t mention? Did you do something in your kitchen that you absolutely love and you want to share it with everyone else? Let us know in the comments or drop us a line at [email protected].