Master Bathroom

MASTER BATHROOM RENOVATION: PART 1

bathroom renovation

When Greg and I were handed the keys the day after closing, the very first rooms we wanted to tackle were the hall and master bathrooms. We’ve already talked about the hall bathroom, which was very narrow and visually closed off. Β Let’s just say the main problem in the master bathroom was… quite the opposite.

The vanity area was actually in the bedroom, while the shower and toilet were in their own separate room. Even better, the vanity area was carpeted. Very circa 1976.

Knowing that this wasn’t going to mesh well with our style, we had to do something. Β You might have already guessed what we did, considering the current state of our kitchen (or lack thereof). Β We ripped the whole thing out, tearing down the wall between the vanity and bathroom proper in the process.

Before we did any of that, though, we needed a plan. Here’s the layout as it was before the demo:

The first day was spent gutting the bathroom. With the help of friends and family, the process went relatively fast. After the bathroom was stripped down to the studs, we milled over quite a few scenarios when deciding what to do with the layout. Simply closing up the opening, making the closet the shower area or leaving the sink where it was and making the closet a tad larger were all options we considered. All of those seemed like “do-able” plans, but then we came up with a layout that didn’t require an awful lot of plumbing reconfiguration but gave the bathroom the privacy it needed:
As you can see, we chose to move the closet door and close up the opening that once was practically a part of the bedroom. Also, instead of installing another tub/shower combo, we opted for a shower. We realize some may gasp at the idea of not having a tub in the master bathroom, but given the choice between a mediocre-sized tub/shower combo and a large, spacious shower, it was an easy choice. After all, there is a tub in the hall bathroom if either of us ever gets the urge to soak.

You may have noticed the small window over the toilet. With the new layout, the edge of the shower would be smack dab in the middle of the window. So we had no choice but to take it out in the interest of shower space.

The next few steps were like a whirlwind! A new friend came to help out with framing the new shower and closet door. (Thank you, Woody!) Shortly after that, a crew came in to rip up the old carpet and lay down new hardwood floors. (They’re being stained next week! Yay!) A few weeks later, we got our painting clothes on and painted the master bedroom Slate by Restoration Hardware. Once that was done, we hired a professional to come in to paint all of the trim to give it that finished professional look.

After all of that work, here is what the space looks like today:

Since we are already in the space anyway, here’s a shot of the opposite side of the master bedroom:

What used to be a cramped, dull fiberglass shower/tub combo is now framed to be a spacious shower with bench.

What used to be the doorway to the closet is now ready for a good sized vanity with double sinks.

When it comes to fixtures and finishes, we are still in the process of making all of those decisions. However, we do know that we love the tile so much in our hall bathroom, that we are using it in the master bathroom as well.

As we have mentioned before, we are doing these renovations as we have the money in hand, so this bathroom renovation isn’t going to happen overnight. However, knowing that we definitely want the same tile that is in the hall bathroom, we have given the go-ahead to our awesome “tile guy”, Melvin. He’s hard at work on it as I type! Progress makes us happy! Once this is done (it should be by this Thursday), we will be well on our way to being–as Greg likes to say–“done done” (as opposed to just regular old “done”).

Linda
    October 27, 2010 at 3:48 pm

I love love love love the paint color your chose. It’s gorgeous!

Molly
    October 27, 2010 at 4:08 pm

Yeah, I agree. That wall color is awesome!

Sara @ House Bella
    October 27, 2010 at 5:16 pm

It looks great, and I agree, that color in the bedroom is awesome! We got that finished-pro-look on the trim by extending it slightly onto the ceiling :

October 28, 2010 at 11:56 am

That’s a cool idea! I’ve never thought of that. Thanks for sharing!

Lydia
    October 27, 2010 at 8:41 pm

I love that tile! I need to check that out.

Jenni H
    October 28, 2010 at 1:20 am

Like the layout you ended up with. I totally agree about going with the large shower. And I love anything and everything that has to do with Restoration Hardware! Love what you’re doing.

Karla K
    October 28, 2010 at 1:32 am

This isn’t my house and I don’t know you personally, but I’m really enjoying your home transformation process. Thanks for sharing it with us. My husband may be hunting you down before you’re done though. Lol You’re inspiring me!

Mike & Kris
    October 28, 2010 at 1:38 am

Beautiful wall color! Can’t wait to see the stained floors with that wall color.

October 28, 2010 at 11:16 am

Tough choice… do I love the huge walk-in closet more, or what I know is going to be a retreat-worthy shower?
    Fabulous!

Newlyweds on a Budget
    October 28, 2010 at 8:26 pm

ooo I love this! I would have never thought of that layout. Although we lived in a place where the vanity and bathroom were separate like that and that’s honestly what i miss the most!! I loved being able to get ready without the shower steam from my husband’s shower or letting him do his business while I got ready in the outside vanity…not it takes more work to schedule our getting ready time : (

dud to stud(s) – master bath remodel | Jenallyson - The Project Girl - Fun Easy Craft Projects including Home Improvement and Decorating - For Women and Moms
    May 9, 2011 at 3:23 pm

[…] insert and cabinet, tile etc.Β  However, one night I came across a little remodel blog called 7th House on the Left. On this Blog, the homeowners had a bathroom similar to ours (see layout below), and they had […]

Tim
    March 11, 2013 at 3:55 pm

great looking shower ! nice setup!

Reece
    June 18, 2013 at 6:39 am

Am very jealous of your walk-in closet! I agree with everyone, the wall colour is beautiful =)

Elizabeth
    July 14, 2015 at 12:00 am

We have the EXACT same layout in our master bedroom!
    I’m so glad to have finally found a great option for us when we get ready to renovate!
    Will you please send updated/completed pictures?? Also, what were the previous measurements of the separate areas, and what are the new measurements of the new spaces?

Thanks!! πŸ™‚

Ashley A
    June 12, 2016 at 11:51 am

Thank you for sharing! I am in the process of purchasing a home with the same master layout and I have been struggling with how to remodel the bathroom without cutting down on the size of the bedroom. This is a great idea! Definitely a great option.