House Tours

HOME SWEET HOME

diningroom

Moving in is taking a little longer than we expected.  We knew that unpacking would be one of the most daunting tasks involved in moving into our new home, but I think I underestimated the amount of time it would take.  Greg, the eternal realist, has to keep telling me, “It’s a process, sweetheart.”  We’re a good pair, aren’t we?  Anyway, the reason we’re taking a bit longer in this “process” is that we want to have a place for each thing we take out of a box.  The problem with that is, with a brand new house, there are a lot of organizational products to find, buy, install, etc.

We’ve spent the last two weeks unpacking boxes, putting together office furniture and finding places for everything, and we’re still not quite done, but we wanted to give you all an update on how everything is going.  So here’s the current state of affairs at the 7th House on the Left, picture book style!

Let’s start in the most lived in room in the house these days, the living room. Our couch and love seat got all squished while they were in storage. They used to be all taught and clean lined. After 8 months in storage, they are now wrinkled and frumpy. So, we’re planning on having new cushions cut to give it back it’s shape. Or then there’s the option of buying a new sofa and love seat (that’s my vote anyway!).

As we unpack decorative accessories, we’ve been putting them on the buffet in the dining room so when we are finished unpacking, we can use that area as our own little “accessories shop”. The dining table used to be the perfect size for our cozy apartment. Now with a much larger dining area, the table seems kind of small. So we definitely have room to grow… Bentley thinks so too.

My office space (which was originally the dining room) is barely functional at this point and not even close to being complete. This is mainly because I can’t seem to decide on what I want to do with the space. I have a few ideas (read more about those here), so we shall see what happens in the next few weeks.

Then we have what we like to call our “camping kitchen”. It actually hasn’t been that bad. The fridge (which happens to be the same one I used in my dorm room in college) is big enough for a week’s worth of groceries and drinks, as long as we remember to think small at the store. Then we have our handy dandy crock pot, toaster and microwave. With those convenient small appliances and our charcoal grill (Yes, we grill even if there’s snow on the ground.), going without a kitchen hasn’t been as hard as we thought it would be. We miss baking cookies (after all, it is Christmas!), but our grocery store’s bakery has some that are as good as any we could make (maybe… my mom’s cookie recipe is beyond awesome). We’re very anxious to tackle the kitchen after the holidays!

Off to the left of the “camping kitchen”, we have the laundry/utility room complete with a half bathroom. This is probably the most neglected room at this point. All we’ve done in this space is paint and install new light fixtures. And we haven’t even touch the half bath! This shelf used to be in our apartment’s walk-in laundry room/pantry. Now it’s being used as our “catch all” for switch plates, cleaning supplies, etc. I’m dying to get everything in here organized but we wanted to live in the area for a while before we make any major changes. We have a few ideas up our sleeves but it will be a few months before we are ready to reveal them and make some progress.

Eventually, we plan on buying a front-load washer and dryer and installing a countertop for lots of folding room. But for now, this is working our just fine.

Back through the living room and into the foyer. Other than the addition of the double doors (there used to be a single door to the far left for the gigantic closet), we haven’t done much here.

We’re still in search for a perfect foyer table. For now, we just sat our big IKEA mirror against the wall. We aren’t quite sure where to put that yet.

As we go down the hall, the guest room is our first stop on the left. It’s still full of boxes and things that need to go in the attic, but it’s looking a lot better than it did two weeks ago. We can actually see the floor now! Well, sorta. We covered a lot of the floor with Tyvek to protect them from scratches, since we are often moving and sliding boxes around.

Next to the guest room, we have the hall bathroom which we have been updating you on as the project has progressed. For more on that, check out part one, two, three and four. Part five is coming as soon; our faucets are nearly done and the light fixtures are soon to follow!

Across the hall, we have Greg’s domain. Like many things around here, it’s still a work in progress. The shelf you see sitting on the floor in the corner is going to be mounted to the wall. The floor lamp is currently the room’s only source of light until we install a ceiling fixture. And his desk currently looks like Best Buy threw up on it. With much to do, we are armed with a plan. So that makes things easier on the brain.

At the end of the hall, we have the master suite. We are still searching for bedding. But we did manage to find a down comforter that we both agreed on (and love!). Now the search is on for a duvet cover, decorative pillows, etc.

Everything is kind of monocromanic and borderline bland at the moment. We can’t wait to punch it up with come much-needed color.

This chair used to be in our bedroom in our apartment but it’s a little tight for this space (we had an abnormally large bedroom for an apartment). So for now, it’s serving as the home of the TiVo and DVD player until we find a tall, shallow piece of furniture to go in its place. Once we find that, we’re going to run the wires in the wall so we don’t have to look at them. Do you like our blue Ethernet cable running from Greg’s office? We’re short one wireless adapter, so we’re using it to make sure the TiVo gets its programming. Yep, Klassy.

In the master bathroom, we are using a shower curtain until the glass is installed – which should be any day now. Again, Klassy. Yes, I’m being sarcastic 😉

Next door to the master bathroom is the closet. We have step one done: rods for hang up clothes. The total closet is 70″ x 70″ — not your biggest walk-in by any means but still not too bad. We’re planning on some more hang up space (for longer items) and shelves for jeans, sweats, etc and even some handbag storage. We’re going to have to get creative when it comes to maximizing the storage but we think we can make it work.

That’s it on the inside of the house. Since we haven’t really shared much of the back of the house yet, we thought now was a good time to do so. Here is the attached carport. The door on the far right is to a small storage shed where we stash our tools and miscellaneous maintenance stuff. The middle door leads to the laundry room while the door on the left goes directly in the living room (to the left of the fireplace). Our long-term plan includes closing this in and making it into either a one-car garage or maybe a bonus room / family room.

And there you have it!  We’re super-excited about our new home, and we love sharing it with all of you. We can’t wait to have at least one finished room. But as I keep having to remind myself, it’s a process. I’m sure the rooms will have a few versions before we land on something we love and are ready to stamp it as “finished”.

Debradlunsford
    December 22, 2010 at 12:25 pm

Ashley and Greg,
    Your home looks beautiful! I love the floors!!! The tile in the bathroom is so pretty. I love the neutral color tile. You can accent with so many different colors. I have blue in my laundry room as well. Hope you both enjoy Christmas and get some down time to relax. Merry Christmas!!!

December 22, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Thank you so much! Merry Christmas to you too! 🙂

Sara @ House Bella
    December 22, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Lookin’ good with furniture in there! The floors also look wonderful, nice job on picking the stain color. Congratulations getting in before Christmas!

December 22, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Thanks! We had our fingers crossed as to if we would make it or not, haha!

April Moss
    December 22, 2010 at 12:32 pm

I LOVE what you guys have done to the house so far. Compared to the photos on the tour page, it’s not even close to being the same house!

December 22, 2010 at 3:05 pm

It doesn’t feel like the same house either! We’re loving it 🙂 Thank you!

Michelle
    December 22, 2010 at 12:36 pm

I’m obsessed with your bedroom furniture! Where did you get it? Is is a set or did you find them individually? I really like what you have done so far. I can tell it’s going to be beautiful when you are finished!

December 22, 2010 at 3:04 pm

Thank you! We got it at Haverty’s and they are all pieces from their Copley Square series. Normally, we don’t go for sets, but we loved this one because it wasn’t “matchy matchy”. We’ve had it for almost three years and it’s been great, solid furniture!

Lydia
    December 22, 2010 at 12:53 pm

I love what you’ve done with the house! I’m seriously loving the wall art in Greg’s office. If you don’t mind me asking, where did you find that?

December 22, 2010 at 3:02 pm

Not at all! We got them from CB2 and we LOVE them. I can’t wait to accessorize the rest of the room with the fun colors in it. Here’s the link: http://bit.ly/cW71ym

brandt @ New House on the Blog
    December 22, 2010 at 1:33 pm

Oh wow, that looks great!

I also want to know where that abacus looking wall art is. That looks like a great little addition to a man-cave!

linda b
    December 22, 2010 at 2:12 pm

You are so fortunate to have a nice carport like that, with the attached roof. It will be really easy to close in when you decide to do that. The house is looking fantastic!

December 27, 2010 at 12:51 pm

Yes! We are really excited about that project — though it may be a few years before we decide to tackle it 🙂 Thank you!

Katy
    December 22, 2010 at 4:38 pm

I am super impressed with your starting point! Can’t wait to watch the progress!! Hope you have a wonderful Christmas in your new home!!!

December 27, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Thank you so much! We hope you had a wonderful Christmas as well 🙂

Cheri @ I Heart Old Houses
    December 23, 2010 at 7:30 pm

I love the colors in your new home! Those dark floors are beautiful. And would you mind sharing the name of the light blue in the laundry room? It’s such a soft, pretty color without being too pastel.

January 1, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Thanks so much! The color is Martha Stewart’s Artesian Well. When we first put it on the wall, we thought it might be a little too “in your face”, but it mellowed out as it cured, and now we love it!

Allison @ House of Hepworths
    December 27, 2010 at 1:14 am

Hey! I’m new here and I’m loving your blog. I found it from Picket Fence Blogs. Your home is beautiful and I LOVE your paint colors. Do you have them listed anywhere on your site? I especially love the room that has the dark gray. Beautiful. I look forward to reading your blog in the future and following your home transformation.

~Allison @ House of Hepworths

January 4, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Thanks, Allison! The dark gray is Slate by Restoration Hardware. We LOVE their paint!

Allison @ House of Hepworths
    December 27, 2010 at 7:19 pm

Oh my, I LOVE LOVE LOVE your dresser. Where did you find it? I need it!

~Allison @ House of Hepworths

January 4, 2011 at 4:55 pm

Thanks! We love it too 🙂 We purchased it from Haverty’s. It’s a part of their Copley Square collection. We love that collection because it’s not too “matchy matchy”.

PDF Book
    April 26, 2011 at 12:16 pm

I am continuously searching online for articles that can benefit me. Thank you! http://www.apnatorrents.com/download-lover-avenged-black-dagger-brotherhood-book-7-pdf.html

Moah
    January 11, 2012 at 8:36 pm

I was wondering if you can share the color of the living room. That looks wonderful.

January 11, 2012 at 11:42 pm

Thank you! : ) It’s Martha Stewart’s Cobblestone.

Lynette
    February 14, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Love the colors you have used. Can you share your master bdrm color please? Thx

February 14, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Thanks! It’s Restoration Hardware’s Slate.

Bonnie
    August 6, 2012 at 7:06 pm

I feel like such a slacker! We just got married and bought our first home, and it’s painfully slow going unpacking boxes, tearing down wallpaper, etc. etc. We’re getting lots of inspiration from you though!

After the wallpaper, we plan to re-do the master closet!