Guest Bedroom

BE OUR GUEST

guestroom

Over the past few weeks, the guest room (or as we’ve been calling it, the unpacking room) has been getting more and more empty. And this past weekend, low and behold… it’s finally completely EMPTY!

It’s a far cry from what it looked like just a few short weeks ago:

And even a farther cry from what it looked like the day we closed on the house:

We got the room cleared out just in time! Last week, I found out my grandparents are coming into town from Tampa to visit in March. We get to have them for two whole weeks, and we’re super excited! Not only do we thoroughly enjoy their company when they are in town (my grandparents are abnormally cool), but they will be our very first overnight guests in our new abode. Actually… they will be our first ever overnight guests that haven’t had to sleep on the couch or on a blow up mattress (our apartment didn’t have a guest room).

Therefore, we have exactly 6 weekends to take the room from completely empty to company-ready. This is where Rosie the Riveter comes to mind…

It may sound weird, but I’m actually glad we have a deadline to work towards. The pressure is on and hopefully it will bring some peace of mind to know the end is near. Enough chatter, let’s get to work…

I don’t want to just throw a bed and dresser in the room, slap up a couple of pictures and call it a day. It’s really important to Greg and me that this room feel welcoming, comfortable and a relaxing home away from home for our friends and family. To start things on the right foot, we’ve come up with a list of 5 Guest Room Must Haves:

1. An inviting bed. First and foremost, a guest room must have a super comfortable and inviting bed. One of those beds that says, “come on, hop in and sweet dreams”. To me, there is nothing more inviting than a bed with all white bedding and just a touch of color.

Ahh, you just can’t beat that. As amazingly crisp and clean as it looks, it’s important for the bedding in a guest room to be kid friendly. Meaning, the bedding needs to be durable enough to withstand some scrubbing in case there is a crayon mishap.

2. Good sized bedside tables. In my opinion, when it comes to bedrooms, there is nothing more annoying than dinky side tables that will hardly hold a glass of water. Yeah, they are pretty and dainty, but certainly not practical. I want to make certain the side tables will be able to accommodate not only a glass of water but a cell phone, lamp and a book or two.

3. Adequate reading lights. Speaking of books, my Grandparents love to read at night (as do I!). Therefore, it’s important that the guest room has adequate reading lights near the bed. This may come by way of table lamps or wall sconces. Not sure yet. But either way, we’ll need to make sure it’s not only aesthetically pleasing but convenient to operate.

4. Ample storage. When I go to a hotel, I like to unpack my entire suitcase – even if I’m only staying for a day or two. It makes things much easier when getting ready in the mornings. Therefore, I think it would be nice to have enough storage for all our guest’s clothes and other items like a laptop, cell phone charger, etc.

5. Umm… This is where we’re torn. There is room for one of two things in this space (besides the bed, side tables and dresser): 1) a comfy reading chair paired with a side table and floor lamp or 2) a small desk and chair roomy enough for a laptop, lamp and whatnot. My first instinct is to go with a desk. However, it’s so nice to have a comfortable chair in your room. What do you think?

There are many other details and finishing touches that go into creating a comfortable guest room, and we’ll definitely be getting to that when the time comes. The next step will be configuring a room layout and making a practical and economical furniture shopping list. That should be fun 😉

Rosie the Riveter image found here. Guest room images courtesy of DecorPad, Martha Stewart, Pottery Barn, Tobi Fairley and Stacey Brandford.

Linda b
    January 31, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Great post! I think I’d have to say go with the desk. My opinion maybe skewed because I take my laptop everywhere I go – haha!

Michelle
    January 31, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Okay so first of all. I’m addicted to your blog. I just thought i would tell you that. Second. I love that black and white dresser. And third. If it were me, I would go with the desk option. If you make sure the desk chair is comfy, that might help bring in the best of both worlds!

Brielle
    January 31, 2011 at 5:30 pm

I agree with trying to purchase a comfortable chair to go with a desk. Everybody travels with either a laptop or an iPad these days. Not sure about your grandparents though. I’m sure they will enjoy their visit regardless!

Suki&Trev
    January 31, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Chair. 🙂

Julie in NJ
    January 31, 2011 at 6:37 pm

Desk with nice chair

Rosa
    January 31, 2011 at 8:11 pm

You motivate me to conquer our guest room. Needs a redo!

Michela Trott
    January 31, 2011 at 8:50 pm

I agree you do have amazingly cool grandparents. AND I know that they are going to be so proud of you and what you have done at your new house. My vote is for the comfy chair. But I know that whatever you pick, you will make it look amazing!!!

Felicity @ Our Little Beehive
    January 31, 2011 at 8:55 pm

I LOVE the floors, love, love, love! I’d go for the chair instead of the desk. When you’re living out of a suitcase it’s nice to have a spot to drape your outfit for the next day. Plus, if your guests have laptops I’d hope that they’d bring them down to the living room and hang out with you while you blog on yours 🙂

Irene
    February 1, 2011 at 11:02 am

My only concern is, if you make it too inviting, your guests may never leave. LOL!

Oh, and I vote for the small desk and chair. It will give the guests room to write a nice thank you note for your hospitality. Or a check for the damage they did at the kegger. What? You said your grandparents are abnormally cool. 😀

Jana
    February 1, 2011 at 11:29 am

As long as you have an office and your own workplace I would vote for the chair. I dont see guests really sitting down and using a desk. That said a desk with a comfy plush chair could accomplish both….the chair could be pulled out and used as a reading spot.

Either way it will look great!

Hilary @ My So-Called Home
    February 1, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Definitely the chair, especially if you can find one as beautiful as the one in the photo. If guests bring a laptop they can sit with it in the chair or on the bed or in one of your living spaces. A nice inviting chair is much more “guest room” and gives them a place to put on their shoes and drape their coats.

ashley
    February 1, 2011 at 2:10 pm

I say go for the chair but be sure to include a nice mirror like the one on that example desk, it’s always nice to be able to see how you look when staying at someone’s house without having to go to the bathroom to do it. LOVE your ideas!

Holly
    February 1, 2011 at 4:22 pm

That is a difficult decision. I would think about the guest that will probably be staying with me in the future. Will they need to work on a laptop? Will they just be vacationing and lounging? I do love having a chair in my room. I wouldn’t bring my laptop with me when visiting family, so a desk wouldn’t matter to me personally.

Ashley @ Bungalow895
    February 2, 2011 at 12:01 pm

I would definitely go with a comfy chair, regardless of whether you put a desk in or not. Do you have an area where your guests could work comfortably outside the room?

Love your blog! Just found it on the Homies.

Christina
    February 3, 2011 at 1:07 am

I have a desk in my guest room and, while a chair might look prettier, the desk gets so much use from my friends and family who’ve stayed with us so I’d definitely go with the desk. Everyone has a laptop these days and often take their work with them so it’s nice for them to have a place to setup shop.

Sarah
    February 3, 2011 at 3:07 pm

weellll…since you asked…

Chair and Table. For sure. As a guest, I would love the space to do some work in peace and quiet if needed.

The black and white wallpaper is bold as love…and I COVET it. 😉

Stacy
    February 5, 2011 at 8:57 pm

First time visiting your blog. Apartment Therapy/Young House Love sent me your way. I would for sure go with the desk and comfortable chair. That gives you both a comfy place to sit and a place for laptop. The mirror over the desk is great (love this feature in places I stay) because your guest can use the desk as a vanity as well. Great site. Good luck! :o)

Meghan
    February 6, 2011 at 11:13 am

New reader! Salivating right now. My house is in the ahemahem, early stages, so it’s nice to see how far you guys have been able to take it. There’s light at the end of the tunnel!

My opinion? Desk. They can always curl up on the comfortable bed to read!

kniptezra
    August 4, 2011 at 5:08 am

purchase with confident to get new coupon

spelautomater
    January 18, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Amazing! This blog looks exactly like my old one! 😀 .pretty much the same page layout and design. I like the choice of colors!