Inspiration

READ BETWEEN THE LINES

stripes dining room gray

A popular trend that has been popping up in home décor magazines and websites alike over the last few years is none other than the sleek, classic and sophisticated stripe. We’re loving this trend so much that we’ve been toying with the idea of using stripes somewhere in our house (whether it be in the near or distant future).

For those of you who know me, you know about my obsession with I Love Lucy. So when I think of stripes, I immediately recall the episode where Lucy and Ethel decide to wallpaper Lucy & Ricky’s bedroom without the help of a professional. They were doing DIY projects looooong before DIY was cool. Let’s just say it didn’t turn out as they had hoped. But with zany Lucy in the mix, it was to be expected…

Almost 60 years later, thanks to networks such as HGTV and The DIY Network, we’ve learned the how-to’s and the how-not-to’s.

Needless to say, there are many different ways to use stripes in your home, so we’ve turned to the world wide web for inspiration and here are some of our favorites:

The high contrast and bold colors alone make this guest room a delicious piece of eye candy. The striped carpeting brings an extra touch of whimsy that makes the space that much more charming.

Here’s another bedroom space that perfectly demonstrates the stylish use of stripes. As you know, we love gray walls. The deep gray used in this space plays as a great canvas for the lighter furnishings.

Why limit the use of stripes to the indoors — or walls for that matter? Check out this outdoor patio space. I’m loving the bold choice to carry the stripes from the wall to the ceiling. Genius. This combination with the rich kelly green furnishings and glamorous light fixtures brings home an “old hollywood” vibe.

Now for something a little more on the rustic side: painted plank floors. The white-washed planks gives this otherwise sparse entry an eclectic shabby chic feel.

Another space that’s a little on the “shabby chic” side is this picture-perfect dining room. The stark white walls adorned with horizontal cool gray stripes is to die for. It really brings the entire room together in an awesome way. The linear stripes are juxtaposed perfectly against the round pendant lights.

A little more on the modern side are these thick brown and white striped walls from Elle Decor. Using the same chocolate brown paint in the ajoining room really ties the two spaces together.

So whether it be thin, thick, bold, subtle, horizontal or vertical, stripes have the ability to totally transform any space, and they might just be that “something” your room is needing to make it simply perfect.

I Love Lucy image found here. Inspiration photos found here, hereherehere, here and here.

Stay connected with 7th House on the Left via Facebook! Click here to “Like” 7HL!

Beth H.
    January 27, 2011 at 2:08 pm

I really like your collection of inspiration photos. You have great taste!

Noell
    January 27, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Just found your blog via the Homies and I’m officially addicted! Great post!!

Rebecca @ the lil house that could
    January 27, 2011 at 2:48 pm

I’ve been eyeing up those dark Elle Decor stripes for a while!! I just have to figure out where to put them 🙂

ELizabeth C.
    January 27, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Loving the “I Love Lucy”…and the blog!

Lydia
    January 27, 2011 at 3:28 pm

I LOVE the second bedroom you featured! And who doesn’t love Lucy? She’s a classic!

Brenn
    January 27, 2011 at 3:29 pm

I found you blog over on Apartment Therapy and I am in love with it! I can’t wait to see what you do with your house.

April Moss
    January 27, 2011 at 3:31 pm

That dining room is simply to die for! I love this post!

ALLISON
    January 27, 2011 at 3:32 pm

This is fantastic 🙂 I’m loving your style!!

Linda b
    January 27, 2011 at 3:43 pm

I’ve been wanting to paint stripes in our living room for a while now. I just can’t decide on paint colors. But now I’m leaning towards gray and white. Thanks for the post!

Meaghan
    January 27, 2011 at 8:30 pm

I also love that second bedroom with the striped walls, and that bed is fantastic. Would love to know where they got it. I couldn’t find the pic in the links you included at the end of the post…

karen @ our slo house
    January 28, 2011 at 9:55 am

I just painted orange stripes in my son’s room. I was nervous at first but it turned out great!

January 31, 2011 at 5:56 pm

Oooo, that sounds yummy!

Felicity @ Our Little Beehive
    January 28, 2011 at 2:43 pm

I am loving the dining room light gray stripes. I’m a huge gray fan too!

Congratulations on your Homies nomination. It’s such an honor to be nominated along side such wonderful blogs.
    xo

January 31, 2011 at 5:56 pm

Thank you, Felicity! Congrats to you too!! 🙂

Tweets that mention » READ BETWEEN THE LINES 7th House on the Left -- Topsy.com
    January 28, 2011 at 6:16 pm

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Chicago Home Mag and Interior Destiny, Houseblogs.net. Houseblogs.net said: [7th House on the Left] READ BETWEEN THE LINES http://bit.ly/fKvtHw […]

Inspire Me Heather
    January 29, 2011 at 10:46 am

Great stripes! Loved the rug, and walls and floor of course but the patio one – too much… Thanks for sharing!

LawyerBren
    January 29, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Love the clean look of your blog! I see you’re an I Love Lucy fan. You can never go wrong with I Love Lucy! Have enjoyed your unique content (canisters from Gilmore Girls, Thanksgiving turkeys, pics of your new home, video clips). Great blog!

Holly
    January 29, 2011 at 10:29 pm

Just popped over from Apartment Therapy. So happy to see the stripes. I am a painter and just got done doing a dining room in stripes. The color was norman brown and we did 5 inch stripes with metalic pearl glaze mixed with the wall color. The taping was enough to drive me batty!! We finished each stripe with a gold pin stripe. The result was very elegant. Can’t wait to see how it looks when the owner moves in!! Love the Blog.

January 31, 2011 at 5:58 pm

Thanks so much, Holly!
      Sounds like all of that work paid off though. It sounds so pretty!!

shelley
    January 30, 2011 at 10:24 am

It’s so funny that you posted this.
    I was just watching I Love Lucy yesterday after not seeing it for many years. (It was when they were in California)
    I started flipping out over their fabulous california suite they stayed in, particularly the horizontal striped wallpaper!
    Love your site and you have a great eye. You’re bookmarked!

January 31, 2011 at 5:58 pm

I know, right?! I loove their suite in the California episodes. I wish I could get my hands on the lamps especially!

Thanks so much! 🙂

Sarah K
    January 31, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Just clicked over here from The Homies and I’m in love. I’ve become just a teeny tiny bit obsessed with stripes recently, so thanks for some more inspiration pics!

Inspire Me Heather
    May 14, 2011 at 8:38 am

Oh and I linked this to my stripes post too today – it’s a keeper!