Painting

FAQ: PAINT COLORS

guestroom

We’ve been thinking for a while that we should probably get around to sharing our paint colors. We’ve mentioned it here and there but never got around to writing an entire post dedicated to all things paint. However, for the past couple of weeks, we’ve been getting a lot (and we mean a lot) of emails and comments asking about the paint colors we used, so we thought it was probably time to put everything into a single, concise post.

Let’s start off with the most lived-in area of the house thus far…

Seeing as how the kitchen, living room and dining area are all open to each other, we decided to keep things simple and use only one paint color, Martha Stewart’s Cobblestone. Because this area is considered to be a “high trafficked area”, we used a satin finish paint. Being able to wipe the walls down with a damp rag without having to worry about taking off the color (as flat or eggshell paints can sometimes do) was something that we valued very highly.

We decided to carry the Cobblestone color into the foyer and down the hallway. Speaking of the hallway; it was one of our first-time-renovator blunders (read more about that here). In summary, we started out using the color in a satin finish, just like the rest of the house. After three (THREE!) full gallons of paint, something still wasn’t quite right, so we switched to a flat finish. What we didn’t know before we started painting is that a flat finish tends to hide imperfections or slight texturing. Thankfully, the flat paint worked as advertised, and now we have a nice, blank canvas awaiting wall art of some sort.

Another place we used Cobblestone is in Greg’s office. Greg’s office is, like every other room in the house, is still “in the making”, but we are using the colors in the Abacus wall art as our starting point. We love how the medium gray walls serve as a good base for the soon-to-be pops of color. It really helps bring out the individual colors but at the same time doesn’t make them stand out too much. We are also loving the contrast of the bright white furniture. So far, so good.

In the laundry room and the guest bedroom, we used another Martha Stewart color, Artesian Well.

We love the light, airy color and look forward to working with it when we further “embellish” both of these spaces.

The third and final paint color we used is Restoration Hardware’s Slate. We chose this paint color for my office because it’s open to the living/dining area and we wanted to choose a paint color that would flow well but different enough to define the space.

We l-o-v-e this paint. Not only is the color yummy, but the exclusive Restoration Hardware finish, Subtle Velvet, is too. We loved the outcome so much that we decided to use it in the other end of the house in the master bedroom, as well.

Though this room is really sparse at the moment (we’re still negotiating bedding, wall art, etc), the warm paint color really helps in “cozying up” the space.

Even though we love all of our paint colors, we also love the fact that isn’t permanent. With a gallon or two of a new color and a few hours, you can totally transform a room. We aren’t thinking about changing up any paint colors as of yet, but we’re definitely going to remember that fact if we have the urge to paint again — and I’m guessing that isn’t going to be anytime soon. 😉

Lyndsay
    January 18, 2011 at 10:10 pm

I loooove your paint choices! For some reason i didn’t know that Restoration hardware carried paint, but I am off to check it out!

January 31, 2011 at 6:07 pm

You will LOVE their paint. The quality is wonderful!

Leah
    January 19, 2011 at 2:07 pm

I love the color in your master besdroom! I recently painted our master a similar color. It is amazing how paint alone can really cozy up a space even when there is nothing else in the room! You have a great home!

Kerry
    January 19, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Hi there… just stumbled across your blog and I have to say your house is gorgeous! I’m so excited to start following along and read more from you! 🙂

Jana
    January 20, 2011 at 2:27 am

It looks great!! RH Slate has long been in my paint file for when we buy a house. Keep the inspiration coming!

Michelle
    January 21, 2011 at 6:08 pm

Thanks for posting this! I was JUST getting ready to e-mail you and ask about the paint color in your laundry room & guest room. HAHA!

Inspire Me Heather
    January 23, 2011 at 9:12 am

I like your choices – especially the Cobblestone. I can see so much “goes” with it and it brings out the dark pieces for sure!

David M
    January 28, 2011 at 2:46 am

You’ve left out a paint color – the white. Did you use the same white throughout? What white did you use? For some reason I feel the least confident about selecting from among the millions of whites out there. Thanks!

January 31, 2011 at 6:09 pm

Ah, yes! White can be so difficult to pick out. It’s a lot more confusing than you would think. We used Sherwin-Williams’ Bright White in a semi gloss finish.

Hope it helps!

Sarah K
    January 31, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Love those colors!

Andy Lacey
    February 1, 2011 at 10:52 am

Great color choices. Particularly like the slate. All complement the wood floor beautifully – what is that, walnut? 🙂

February 1, 2011 at 11:57 am

Thank you! Sure is, it’s Minwax’s Dark Walnut.

Allison
    February 2, 2011 at 3:01 pm

What color did you paint your ceiling? It almost looks pale blue in your office. What kind of lighting (besides the lamps) do you have in your bedroom? I’m getting ready to paint my bedroom slate and I’m nervous about it being too dark. I googled rooms with the paint color and stumbled across your blog…love your style!

February 2, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Thanks! We’re glad you found us 🙂

For the ceiling, we used Sherwin Williams Bright White Ceiling Paint. It may look blue in the photo because of the lightbulb (it’s being changed soon!). As for the lighting in our bedroom, for now we only have the two lamps but we are looking to put in a new overhead light soon. We have two windows in the room which brings in a lot of natural light. I think as long as you have a good amount of natural light, you’ll be good to go. We love this color!

Leigh
    February 4, 2011 at 8:08 am

Question on the Restoration Hardware Slate color. How many coats did it take? We’re contemplating this color for our master bedroom but we were worried we’d have to do a million coats for even coverage. Did you prime first?

February 4, 2011 at 12:15 pm

We l.o.v.e. the coverage of Restoration Hardware’s paint! In our bedroom, which was originally yellow, it only took one coat. As for my office, it had a deep burgundy color under the chair rail. Even though the first coat did a really good job of covering it up, we did a second coat for good measure.

Hope that helps!

Heather
    February 6, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Just found your blog via YHL. Love your style! I’m curious where the “Rare Prints…” is from. I’m in love!

Thanks for sharing.

February 6, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Thanks so much! Glad you found us 🙂
      We got it at Pottery Barn, but unfortunately, they don’t carry it anymore. It’s such a bummer because it’s an awesome piece and one of our favorites in the house.

Bethany
    February 8, 2011 at 8:03 pm

I also just stumbled across your blog via YHL. And, thanks to you, I’ve found what I believe is the perfect grey paint color for my living and dining room! (Cobblestone) I’m heading out this weekend to pick up a sample! The rooms look great and I look forward to following your progress.

Jeff
    February 26, 2011 at 3:21 am

Love the R.H. Slate. Your style is impeccable! That bathroom is gorgeous, I love the espresso vanity with what appears to be travertine tiles! Keep the photos coming!!!!!!

ann bell
    June 19, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Did you use Restoration Hardware Slate in the master bedroom, too?

June 19, 2011 at 10:31 pm

Sure did and we love it!

Camille
    August 27, 2011 at 12:47 am

I just wanted to say thanks for posting your colors!!! I love your taste, so when I saw your paint colors and I was in the midst of trying to decide a paint color for my house (HARDEST decision ever, might I add) I just trusted you and painted my living room Cobblestone! And here’s the best part… I love it!

Mary
    December 30, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Love your colors. We recently painted our bedroom “Enchant” by Sherwin Williams but it came out way too purple! We’re having it repainted on January 10th so I’m looking for a good color found your blog with the RH Slate color. My question is regarding the finish “subtle velvet” I know it’s not a low gloss; so what type of finish is it? It doesn’t look high gloss. Is it somewhere in the middle or something completely different? It looks almost like a matte finish.

Thanks!

~Mary

December 30, 2011 at 10:15 pm

Well, the best way to describe it really is “velvet”, haha. It’s really smooth – more flat than semigloss though. I hope that helps!! 🙂

Natalie
    January 10, 2012 at 10:18 pm

I was searching for paint ideas and came across your blog. I don’t feel like I need to search anymore as I really like your color choices. I am trying to match the RH Slate and Cobblestone with Sherwin Williams ( can only use this brand). Any idea?

Thanks

January 11, 2012 at 11:53 pm

Hm, I’m not completely sure… Could you take in the RH paint swatch and get them to match it?
      Hope that helps!

Sarah
    March 13, 2012 at 9:21 pm

How would the RH paint work in a kitchen? I want to do my kitchen and dining room in the Slate but I worry about the finish in a kitchen that doesn’t have a back splash. Would it clean up well?

March 14, 2012 at 8:56 am

Hmm, well, it’s more “wipeable” than flat but it’s not quite as durable as semi gloss – it’s right smack dab in the middle of the spectrum. I’d recommend getting a sample and painting a large swatch to see how you like the finish before committing to the entire kitchen. I hope that helps! : )

Angela
    April 14, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Hi! Your home and paint colors are just gorgeous! I do have a quick question, are you sure you used RH slate and not graphite in the office bedroom? The reason I’m asking is that I’m torn between both of those colors, I love them both! Looking at my paint chips it looks more like grahite but I do realize lighting plays a role of course. I’d just like to get the same look as your photos 🙂 love it!!!

April 15, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Yep, RH Slate. We love it!

Angela
    April 15, 2012 at 10:45 pm

It looks beautiful! I guess my rooms don’t have enough natural light to get the same look as yours so I’m going to try Graphite first. And it’s only paint so I can always go with Slate if I don’t like the Graphite! Thanks for posting the photos, it looks so nice!! Love it!!!

Jackie
    April 26, 2012 at 7:13 pm

What color stain did you use for the floor? Do you know what type of wood it is? Looks stunning!

April 26, 2012 at 11:03 pm

Thanks! It’s red oak, stained Minwax’s Dark Walnut.

Bethany
    January 22, 2013 at 9:29 am

What is the color of paint in the last picture on this page? It looks a gray? Thanks so much!

January 22, 2013 at 11:21 am

It’s Slate by Restoration Hardware.

Melonee
    January 24, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Hey Ashley!
    Some of your in progress pics of your master bedroom look like you started with a darker color than you ended up with? Is that right? Any idea what the darker color is? It looks way different than the finished product. Both are great, but I’m loving the darker color I see when looking at progress photos of the master bath. Thanks!

January 24, 2013 at 8:57 pm

It’s actually the same color – Slate by Restoration Hardware. It just looks darker/lighter in different photos because of the time of day. All in all, we LOVE the color and are very happy with it. Hope that helps!

Katie
    March 6, 2013 at 10:15 am

My husband and I recently painted our living room Cobblestone as well. Ours, however, looks purple-ish! Yours appears to have a warmer undertone. Are the photos deceiving or do we really have two different colors? When I asked the paint guy at HD to mix the paint, he told me they don’t carry Martha Stewart paints anymore, but the color formula was designed to work in Glidden paints. So, that’s what we used. My husband thinks I’m losing my mind, but I can’t get past the purple!

March 6, 2013 at 10:24 am

Hmm, ours doesn’t have a purple undertone at all. If anything, it’s a little on the beige side of gray. I’m guessing it has something to do with the paint base. They stopped carrying the Martha paint when we were in the MIDDLE of painting (not good) and we had to get the last gallon (for touch ups) matched with a Behr base. Luckily, it matched the Martha color pretty well. The people at the paint store always say the base doesn’t matter, but I think it does. Since then we always get a test pot (they’re about $3) using the same base we’re going to buy in gallon form. That way, we always know what the color will actually look like aside from just going by the swatch.

Reiven
    February 22, 2014 at 3:08 pm

Hi Ashley! I just saw your post when I was searching for pictures of the Cobblestone color from Martha Stewart and I saw Katie’s post about it being too purpleish. I was actually JUST going to paint my bathroom this color and from the swatch I kind of thought the same thing as Katie, and then I saw your answer about the bases. For our swatch he used a Glidden formula, but I was wondering if you could tell me which base you used from Behr because I like the outcome of your Cobblestone much better 🙂 Thanks in advance!

February 22, 2014 at 3:15 pm

Hey, Reiven! We used the Behr Ultra Premium base. I highly suggest getting a small “tester pot” and trying it out on your wall first because the lighting in your house can have a lot to do with coming across purpleish. Hope that helps!

Tiffany
    September 19, 2014 at 7:59 pm

Where did you get the coral chairs? Love them! Want to do my individual studio/salon with them and slate paint!

September 26, 2014 at 2:25 pm

We got them from HomeGoods, but also be sure to check Overstock or Joss&Main and One Kings Lane.