Kitchen

KITCHEN DECISIONS: MADE

kitchen mood board

We did it! Since last week’s post, Greg and I hunkered down and made some real, bona-fide decisions about the kitchen. Boy, does it feel good!Β The next natural step in this process is to measure the existing space and come up with a detailed functional layout (shelved cabinets vs. drawers, etc). Before we get to that though, we decided to put together a mood board complete with some of the details and features we would like to see in our kitchen. Having this mood board on hand when making decisions during what we’ve heard to be the looooong process of laying out a kitchen will help us keep focused on the “big picture” and not get overwhelmed with the little things. Being overwhelmed just takes all of the fun out of projects, and we like fun.

1. IKEA’s Adel Kitchen Cabinets. We’ve been toying with the idea for a few months, but we’ve officially decided to go with IKEA cabinets. A few weekends ago, we made a trip to the nearest IKEA (which is about an hour and a half away) and were blown away with not only the quality, but the endless customizable details. In making our decision, we also took into account everything you guys have been telling us about IKEA’s cabinets. (Remember Emily’s IKEA kitchen renovation? That was awesome!). Once we looked over all of IKEA’s options, we finally decided on the off-white Adel model.

2. Carrara Marble Subway Tile. We have always loved the classic look of subway tile. After reexamining our collection of kitchen inspiration photos, we noticed most of them had marble subway tile rather than ceramic.Β Carrara marble has the stigma of being super expensive. However, after doing some research, we found that you can purchase Carrara marble subway tile at a very affordable price — especially for a cozy-sized kitchen like ours. This will be a great way to bring in a luxurious material without breaking the bank. Not to mention we are super excited about getting our hands dirty and tiling our own backsplash.

3. Oil Rubbed Bronze Hardware. Though these particular hardware pieces are a little on the pricey side (as far as hardware goes), we are going with these based on the idea that upgraded hardware will give the otherwise affordable cabinets a more substantial and “expensive” look. We’re trying to “class it up a bit,” if you will.Β Also, the fixtures will tie in with the doorknobs throughout the house.

4. Monochromatic Color Scheme. The adjoining living room is painted a nice, medium gray (Martha Stewart’s Cobblestone). This will be a really nice contrast with the off-white cabinetry. Though we haven’t made a final decision on the countertop material, we are leaning toward using something dark in order to “ground” the space. (Something in the black/brown family would be nice.) Overall, we are keeping things pretty monochromatic, so some of you are probably thinking, “Where’s the color?”. Well, the cool thing about having a monochromatic kitchen is that you can accessorize it with color through dishtowels, flowers, a bowl of fruit, etc. What’s even cooler is the fact that you can change it out seasonally or whenever you are in the mood for something different.

5. Reflective Accessories. Utilizing reflective accessories (like these glass jars from Crate & Barrel) will help bounce some light around the room and bring a little extra bling to the kitchen.

6. Open Shelving. In our opinion, if you are looking for an airy vibe in a kitchen, open shelving is a must. I can’t wait to unpack our collection of white serving dishes and display them. It will feel like Christmas morning.

7. Stainless Steel Appliances. With our choice of cabinetry, black appliances would stick out like a sore thumb, and white would get completely lost. And who doesn’t love stainless steel appliances?

8. Window Treatments. We have been searching for a place to use this fabric from Dwell Studio for a while,Β and we think the kitchen will be perfect. The dark gray tone in the fabric will pull out the darker veins in the Carrara marble backsplash. It will also tie in to the adjoining room’s wall color.

I love the feeling of being armed with a plan. All (okay, almost all… we are human, after all) of the second guessing and doubts go out the window when you’re armed with a well-thought-out plan. It’s a truly great feeling to get this ball rolling… faster.

Brenda
    February 9, 2011 at 8:00 pm

I love your decisions! Especially the carrara marble with the Dwell fabric. That’s going to look great together!

Emily
    February 9, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Love your choices! The Ikea cabinets will not disappoint!

Michelle
    February 9, 2011 at 8:07 pm

We have carrara marble countertops in our kitchen and we love it! It took a little while to talk my husband into it but it was worth every single penny. He thinks so too πŸ˜‰

Linda
    February 9, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Love. Love. Love. It’s going to look so good when you guys are finished. I bet you can’t wait until it’s finished. Good luck with your reno!

Stacy
    February 9, 2011 at 8:12 pm

I found your blog on Young House Love and I’m so glad I found you! I’m loving your style and your writing is great.

That’s a great idea about using hardware from Restoration Hardware on the Ikea cabinets. That will really dress them up a lot. This motivates me to update our kitchen!

Megan
    February 9, 2011 at 8:34 pm

I love IKEA and I love having a plan! Good luck on your kitchen remodel πŸ™‚

Carol
    February 9, 2011 at 9:33 pm

Great mood board. Love all of your elements. BTW, Target carries those same canisters for less.

February 9, 2011 at 9:35 pm

Yay! I already have a few but I love them so much, I might need to pick up a few more, haha. Thanks for the tip!

ELizabeth T.
    February 9, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Very anxious to see your “finished” kitchen. I really like your style.

Kristin @ Domestic Ease
    February 9, 2011 at 10:26 pm

Hi, Ashley!! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your kitchen picks!! I’m dreaming of a white kitchen (cue the music!)…can’t wait to track your progress!!

Many blessings!
    Kristin

Melissa @ HOUSEography
    February 9, 2011 at 10:57 pm

Woohoo! Love it. You are going to love the monochromatic scheme. It’s very similar to ours and we have been so happy with it.

Danielle
    February 9, 2011 at 11:06 pm

I love your inspiratioon board! I am planning our new kitchen now too and would love to know where you are finding good deals on the marble tiles. They seem outrageous everywhere to me!

Shannon
    February 9, 2011 at 11:44 pm

Wow! This makes me want to rip everything out of our kitchen and start from scratch. I can’t wait to see the finished product!

Sarah, Robbins Landscaping, Inc.
    February 10, 2011 at 8:38 am

I ADORE your kitchen mood board! The fresh, airy, monochromatic feel! Perfect! This is nearly exactly what we are planning for our kitchen!
    I have been swooning over Carrara Marble Subway Tile and can’t seem to find a supplier in our budget range…where did you find this?
    Also, I love that you’re in Richmond, too. It’s so fun to know that such fab DIYers are right down the street!
    Thanks for sharing the eye candy!

Tiffany
    February 10, 2011 at 9:18 am

I love all your remodeling decisions. We are going to be remodeling a condo soon (we close on Mar 11) and we had the same ideas about how we wanted to remodel it as you have done with your house. I love all the colors and choices, it’s exactly what we’ve been thinking! I can’t wait to see how your kitchen turns out.

Jana
    February 10, 2011 at 10:43 am

Its going to look great! I love the carrara tile!!! great way to add visual interest.

Patricia Lambert
    February 10, 2011 at 11:03 am

I don’t like your choices….I LOVE THEM!

Barb
    February 10, 2011 at 11:36 am

I love, love , love your blog and anxiously read it. The kitchen choices are so yummy!!! Love the fabric, the tiles, cabinets, gosh I love it all and can’t wait to see it upon completion.

Keep up the good work and get this done!!!

Angela Wilson
    February 11, 2011 at 12:53 pm

I love the style! Well done for making some hard decisions. Can’t wait to see how it all develops.
    -Angela x

Tanja @ Postmodern Hostess
    February 14, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Your kitchen will be gorgeous. I love that you’re going the luxe gray route. Color is overrated! πŸ™‚

Tiling a backsplash is super easy, but just be sure your countertops are perfectly level first. If your house is anything like ours, none of the floors are level, and none of the walls are square… can make tiling very interesting! Hopefully the fact that you’ll be putting in new cabinetry will help.

Jacqui
    February 22, 2011 at 1:50 am

It’s like you read my mind! I will need to renovate my kitchen at some point (when I can afford it) and that’s exactly what I had in mind. Can’t wait to see the real deal!

apronless
    February 28, 2011 at 3:03 pm

I had to laugh because we are doing so much of the same in our kitchen, too! I think your choices are gorgeous. Any idea on the countertops yet?

February 28, 2011 at 3:27 pm

We have a color in mind (black/brown) but haven’t made any decisions beyond that. We’re going to wait until we install the cabinets before a “final” decision. Can’t wait until that point! πŸ™‚

Lannie
    February 28, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Hi! I just ran across your blog. Great job! Love the way you guys organize your blog and the beautiful photos of your beautiful renovations. I am also digging this plan.

I wanted to share my experience with the carrara marble tile. We purchased the “amalfi” style of the carrara tile for our fireplace surround. The amalfi style looks similar to subway tile, just smaller in size (which was appropriate for a “modern brick style” we were trying to achieve with the amount of space around our fireplace hearth).

The tile came in 12×12 in sheets with mesh backing (similar to the way mosaic tiles are sold). Although they look quite a bit different from the photos online (we expected this since we ordered samples), the tile is quite beautiful. Unfortunately, on two separate orders of the tile, more than half of the tile sheets arrived damaged (cracked, broken, etc). We ended up having enough tile ordered to work around all the broken pieces and the fireplace turned out great. It was just inconvenient and disappointing.

This might have been because the tile pieces were smaller and more vulnerable during the shipping process? You may not have these issues if you order subway tiles? Probably wouldn’t have this problem if you’re not ordering online and getting it shipped.

Jan
    March 23, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Love the design/idea board. We are doing something very similar in our kitchen, except we are painting our cabinets a french gray, with the walls a slightly lighter gray. I love your fabric, and hope to figure out someway to use it. We are using black granite counters with the Carerra subway tile (w/very small grout lines). I have been struggling with what kind of rug to get – I really need one while standing to cook/clean. Our floors are a dark walnut/espresso stain. Any suggestions? Stainless appliances, and overall modern feel, but still traditional elsewhere in our home. Thanks for any and all comments – I love your home and all the changes you’ve made. Very inspiring!

Shawn
    June 25, 2013 at 9:22 pm

LOVE your selections – it will be fabulous – please post pics of the finished project. We’ve selected similar colors, and are going with an absolute black granite in a honed finish for the countertops, can’t wait! Enjoy πŸ™‚