Kitchen

LET’S GET THIS BALL ROLLING… FASTER

cabinet fronts

I know, we mentioned before thatΒ living without a full functioning kitchen hasn’t been that bad. And it’s true, it hasn’t. But over the past few days, I’ve been longing for the simple things… countertops to plop the mail on when I come in after a walk with Bentley, a full-sized refrigerator to house excessive amounts of bottled water, an oven so I can cook Greg a “real” dinner… the list goes on.

I think this post may be more for me than the readers. The reason being, I need some motivation. It’s easy to compile a collection of inspiration photos and a list of wants and needs. I’m all about lists. I’m what you would call a “list-aholic”. But when it comes down to actually making decisions, I tend to over think things. And when it comes to the kitchen, it’s a big deal. It’s not like paint. If you end up not liking the color once you see it on the wall, pick up another color and rock and roll. A kitchen is a huge investment and it’s the heart of the home. So it’s extra important that it be not only functional but reflect who you are and be able to blend with the rest of the home.

Since we already have the general layout planned (read about our plan of attackΒ here), the next step is deciding on cabinetry. And that’s where we are now — working on making the final decisions about brand, color and style of cabinetry. Once we make our final decisions, it’s still going to be a while until the kitchen is actually done — or “done done” as Greg likes to put it.

All of that being said, I’m determined to get the ball rolling a little faster. I can’t keep putting it off. Decisions must be made or else this year’s Thanksgiving dinner will consist of Easy Mac, Ramen Noodles and frozen peas & carrots. Over the next few days, we’re going an extreme effort to finalize the cabinetry decision and put together an inspiration board as to what we want the final product to look like. It’s on — like Donky Kong.

Sarah
    February 3, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Oh Lord I empathize….living this same situation, well…sorta. My area is the family bathroom that has to be re-remodeled. Re-remodeled…yes, you heard me right. I was told it would be 4 days…and there has been a man working in the bathroom for 3 weeks. In the meantime, I, the DH and the children have been living camp style. Showering in the basement. Brushing teeth and hair in the main floor powder room. Dressing up stairs. Up and down three flights of stairs…..then the powder room pipes froze in snowmageddon so we were down to one functioning toilet…far, far away in the bathroom. With two recently potty trained children.

Remodeling is not for the faint of heart.

February 3, 2011 at 5:53 pm

Oh my goodness! 3 weeks is a long time to go without a working bathroom — and with kids! Hats off to you!

Kody
    February 3, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Tons of credit to you for being able to work around your current “kitchen” arrangement. If I couldn’t cook a full blown meal I’d probably cry, even more so if I couldn’t bake! Do you eat out a lot right now or have super simple meals?

February 3, 2011 at 5:51 pm

At this point, I think our take out verses super simple meals is about 50/50. But take out is starting to take a slight lead, haha! I’ll be SO happy when I can cook again! The first thing I’m going to do is probably bake some chocolate chip cookies, haha πŸ™‚

Erika
    February 3, 2011 at 3:45 pm

I feel your pain!! When we had our countertops replaced, the kitchen was pretty much useless and I thought I was going to loose my mind.

April Moss
    February 3, 2011 at 3:46 pm

I CANNOT wait to see what you come up with! I’m sure it’s going to look amazing!

Linda b
    February 3, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Agreed! I can’t wait to see what you’ve got in store for your kitchen. I love your style!

ALLISON
    February 3, 2011 at 4:56 pm

I read one of your earlier posts about how you guys are thinking about going with Ikea cabinets. My husband and I just used them for our guest suite kitchenette and we LOVE them. If you mix them with the right accessories and fixtures, they can look really expensive and luxurious!

February 3, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Yeah, we are still leaning in that direction. That’s so good to know! We’ve been hearing nothing but positive things about Ikea cabinets.

debbie
    February 3, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Have you tried a Granite Outlet type store? They will often give you a discount if you purchase your granite and cabinets together. I live in Texas and saved a lot of money on travertine tile, granite countertops and cabinets when I remodeled two bathrooms last year. The quality of the cabinets will be much better than Ikea. If you are planning to stay in your home for years to come it will be worth it.

February 3, 2011 at 7:52 pm

We’ll have to check that out! Thanks for the info πŸ™‚

ELizabeth T.
    February 3, 2011 at 8:16 pm

I was at IKEA about 3 weeks ago and was also checking out their cabinets. They even have self closing (or easy closing) cabinet doors and drawers. Pleasantly surprised by the quality. Have a friend with a beautifully restored home (featured in a local mag) in downtown Philli who used them and has been very pleased.

kitliz @ DIYdiva
    February 3, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Ohhhh yeah, as someone who has been living in a garage for nine months with a hot plate being the sum total of cooking equipment at hand, I’m right there with you.

I’ve been hemming and hawing over the kitchen materials for all of those months, but I agree…at some point you want to have a full size oven and you have to start making some decisions. I just gave myself deadines “you’ve looked at 800 cabinet styles, you have one week to make a decision.” My cabs are totally going to be here in 3 weeks

Good luck!

Christine B
    February 4, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Ooo do Martha Stewart! Maybe it is just me but I am IN LOVE with her new stuff. I am hoping when the hubby and I renovate our tiny kitchen we can use her new line.
    form2form.wordpress.com

katie
    February 6, 2011 at 3:42 am

I totally hear ya. I’m a freak about making decisions… our kitchen reno took about 6 months due to a whole lot of setbacks that hopefully you won’t have! πŸ˜‰ Our cabinet style is almost exactly the same as some of the images you posted… we went back and forth on color. and then back again. ha! finally we made a decision and never looked back. good luck!