Guest Bedroom

IT WAS LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT

Time for an update on the guest room. As we mentioned last time around, my grandparents are coming to town in March to stay with us for two whole weeks. We’re super excited, but before their arrival, we’ve got some major work to do in the guest room.

We made a trip to IKEA toΒ check out the kitchen cabinet options. Those of you who have been to IKEA know you can’t go without checking out the entire showroom. First of all, it’s not a dash in / dash out kind of place. Secondly, if you try to do that, it would be just wrong.Β Before making our way to the kitchens, we came to the bedroom furniture. On the back wall, I spotted an ultra comfy-looking bed:

It was simple, understated, and you couldn’t beat the price: $179 for the entire kit and caboodle. Not bad; not bad at all. It was love at first sight. Without much apprehension, we grabbed our little IKEA pencil and jotted down the bin numbers so we could pick up the pieces in the warehouse on our way to check out.

After a little more browsing, we came upon a dresser. THE dresser. When Greg and I first laid eyes on it, we simultaneously said, “Oooo.” Yet another “love at first sight moment”. Coming in at just $299, the price was absolutely right. We were sold. Unfortunately, I failed to take a photo of it in the showroom. I guess I was just too excited to think straight! Fast forward 24 hours, and it was assembled and in place in its new home.

One thing we love about the dresser is the size. First of all, it’s tall (38 1/4″ to be exact). Greg has an appreciation for tall furniture seeing as how he is 6’7″. The dresser also has eight good-sized drawers for storage. Another big selling point for us was the glass top. This will protect the dresser top and even make it more kid-friendly. If the glass gets scratched, we can just replace it and move on.

We’re loving the size and durability of the dresser but it could use a little personality (that may have been why we fell for it so hard). New hardware or maybe some paint details come to mind. We’re holding off on making those decisions until after we’ve picked out the bedding, accessories, etc. One thing that doesn’t need sprucing-up is the inside of the drawers which are decorated with canary yellow pinstripes (love!).

We’re loving how the bed fits in the room. The headboard and footboard are going to be fun to work with when choosing the right bedding.

It’s not too snug but just large enough to make the room feel cozy–like a little pocket of comfort. Well, it doesn’t look comfortableΒ yet (but hopefully it will in time for my grandparents’ arrival). There’s a perfect amount of walking space between the dresser and the bed, as well as ample room for bedside tables.

As of this moment, two of the five major furniture purchases for this room have been made. The jury is still out on the other three pieces: two side tables and a reading chair or desk.Β Overall, we are super happy with the furniture purchases and can’t wait to add some sparkle (and a mattress!) to the room. When we headed out for IKEA that day, we hadn’t planned on finding furniture for the guest room. Sometimes it’s the spontaneous purchases that can prove to sometimes be the best. Lesson learned.

Erika
    February 14, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Don’t you love Ikea? It’s one of those stores where you can find anything for just about any style at a good price. Even if you have to put the furniture together, it’s a great place to go. You’re selections look awesome. The dresser is screaming for new hardware. White or blue (same as the walls) would look nice to brighten it up some.

Mel
    February 14, 2011 at 4:34 pm

Both are elegant and timeless pieces that will give you many years of service. Great choices.

mike @ the lil house that could
    February 14, 2011 at 4:36 pm

haha we have the same piece of furniture waiting to be bought. Just haven’t pulled the trigger on it.

Ikea rules. We have 3 ikeas we can go to in our area. We’ve been to all 3 in the same day too. Craziness.

February 15, 2011 at 11:13 am

Ah! I can’t imagine have THREE IKEAS as your disposal! I would love it — but I think Greg might go a tad crazy, haha!

Rebecca @ the lil house that could
        February 15, 2011 at 11:29 am

Gotta love when you read a post, you’re about to comment, and you see your husband has already beat you to it!!

But yes, we love that dresser and love the glass top option, since Macky loves to jump on our dresser and dig his little claws into it!

Linda b
    February 14, 2011 at 4:40 pm

That’s such a great price! There’s a similar bed at Pottery Barn for $750. But I like yours a lot better! Obviously better price too. Haha!

Michelle
    February 14, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Ikea rocks! It is the place to go for the basics for sure. I can’t wait to see what you come up with for the rest of the room. πŸ™‚

Andrea
    February 14, 2011 at 4:54 pm

We love love love love our Hemnes dresser. Same color, minus the glass. We also have these bedside tables which are roomy and tall: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00180553

Of course, that might be a bit too matchy-matchy. (We also have the big Hemnes chest so clearly we aren’t concerned. :))

Ginger
    February 14, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Super cute! I’ve always loved that IKEA bed – I envision painting it fire engine red, though! We ended up with the 4-poster Edland bed, and it’s suiting us fine.

You did remember to buy the wooden slats for it, right?!?

February 15, 2011 at 11:15 am

Yep, wooden slats and all! πŸ™‚
      Oooh, a fire engine versions sounds awesome! If you ever do that, be sure to send us photos! We’d love to see it.

Linda
    February 14, 2011 at 5:01 pm

I love love love your floors. They look great with that wall color too.

Emilee
    February 14, 2011 at 8:56 pm

I’ve had my eye on that IKEA bed for a while. I love it! You made really good choices! They go together without being too matchy.

Mchela Trott
    February 14, 2011 at 9:46 pm

LOVE IT!!! Cannot wait to see the accessories that you select to complete the room!

thecounselormom
    February 14, 2011 at 10:36 pm

I have the same dresser in my bedroom! And now Ikea has nightstands to match but are a little too short for our king bed. I love my dresser though!

February 15, 2011 at 11:22 am

I love the nightstands too! To make them taller, you could try adding a finial to each leg, then paint them to match the nightstand. As long as you match the paint, no one will ever notice! πŸ˜‰

Jenn
    February 15, 2011 at 12:56 am

Really love your choices. Bought an IKEA bed while in college and found it to be extremely solid and well made. The headboard and footboard of the one you have chosen is classic and understated. Love it. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the dresser.

Kristen
    February 15, 2011 at 7:44 am

I love the furniture! Beautiful selections, and I love IKEA for fab pieces + prices!

Kara
    February 15, 2011 at 8:47 am

LOVE both of these pieces! We got a huge sleigh bed a couple of years back, which we’ve both always wanted, but I have been jonesing for a wrought iron bed from IKEA for several months now. Humm… anybody in Cincinnati wanna buy a sleigh bed on the cheap? πŸ™‚

karen @ our slo house
    February 15, 2011 at 9:36 am

Well done! The room is looking great.
    If you don’t get side tables in time, you can always put a chair on either side of the the bed as a temporary *nightstand.* Throw a vase with fresh flowers, and you’re good to go. (Maybe I’ve seen too many magazine photos styled this way, but it always looks sweet to me.)

Joyce
    February 15, 2011 at 2:07 pm

ooo I love that dresser too! Ikea is great

Krista of Hopeless Chest
    February 15, 2011 at 10:00 pm

What a coincidence! We just bought the Lillesand bed for our guest room a few weeks ago. I’m really happy with it. It’s such a great deal for the price.

I had the same Hemnes dresser in white in my old bedroom and I really enjoyed it. It lasted really well and I was able to resell it on Craigslist for a good price. We have the 3-drawer and the taller version now, in the same dark finish.

I’m really excited to see how you finish the room!

Lauren @ Hungry Child in the City
    February 18, 2011 at 10:49 am

Hi Ashley! I absolutely love your style. I want you to come help me with my home! We need a major facelift. I like the idea of changing the knobs on the ikea dresser, making it much more personal!

vikki
    February 19, 2011 at 11:50 pm

Made my first visit to Ikea today. I have a bed very similar to that one already (My uncle got it at an auction and my mother painted it black. Looks great and I love it). I will be buying that dresser, a mirror, the chest of drawers, and possibly the two nightstands. I LOVED that place and want to go back again. It is fabulous.

Elle
    August 21, 2011 at 12:35 pm

I know this is an old post, but I stumbled across your blog (love it, btw!) when I was searching for info about the Lillesand bed. Do you use a box spring with it, or just a mattress on the wooden slats? I am trying to figure out if the bed is too “deep” to use a mattress alone (I am thinking of getting a thicker mattress, like 9″). Any insight would be much appreciated!

August 21, 2011 at 2:00 pm

We have a mattress and a low profile box-spring. However, the bed’s not too deep to use a mattress alone – we just opted to use a box-spring for extra support. Hope that helps!

Karen
    July 22, 2012 at 2:54 am

I also came across this blog when researching the Lillesand bed. Are you using the slats with the box spring, or just the mid beam? Thanks! Your room looks great by the way.

July 23, 2012 at 9:31 am

Yep, we used the slats with a low-profile box spring. Hope that helps! : )