Living Room

MIRROR, MIRROR ON THE WALL… FOR NOW

We absolutely love having a fireplace in our new home. Even during the summer, a fireplace undeniably makes a house seem inviting. Something was definitely missing from ours, though, and we had to do something about it.

Eventually, we hope to find a “perfect” piece of reclaimed wood to hang above the fireplace to serve as a mantle. We really dig the whole rustic-meets-modern style that has been cropping up recently, and reclaimed wood is a really great way to give a room character. And if we can find a piece of wood with a story — even better! Β Regardless of what we want to do in the future, we needed something above the fireplace that would sort of “cozy up” the room a bit for now.

I purchased this oversized IKEA mirror for my college apartment. When we became Mr. & Mrs. we used the mirror in the master bedroom of our first place (take a tour here). When we moved our furniture into this house, we knew we wanted to keep it around and put it somewhere, but we weren’t sure how to use it. As it turns out, my parents mounted a mirror just like it horizontally above their buffet, and it looked great, so we took that idea and ran with it. With just a few heavy duty hooks, some help from my dad (the mirror is relatively heavy), and about 5 minutes, the mirror was in it’s new temporary home above the fireplace:

If you’re thinking it looks like it’s hung a little high, that’s because it is. We had to hang it a little higher than we wanted to because of the flue control knob. We also decided to drill the holes for the hooks in the mortar, rather than the bricks. This way, when we find the “perfect” mantle, we’ll only have to patch up the mortar and paint it.

You may have noticed, we also added a floor lamp next to the chair. With the combination of recessed lighting and natural light, the room has a pretty good amount of light. But the corner, left to the TV, always seemed kind of dark. Therefore, we decided to bring in the floor lamp from Greg’s office. The mirror also helps bounce around some extra natural light coming in from the windows across the room in the dining area.

It’s amazing how the addition of a mirror and a floor lamp can change a room. Nevertheless, we’re anxious to finish dressing the TV unit (more about those plans here) and adding some much-needed color. But for now, we’re very happy with the way things are coming along.Β We can’t get over how different it looks from the day we got the keys…

PS I just realized Bentley was hiding out in one of the photos. Can you find him? πŸ™‚

Geena
    February 23, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Ashley & Greg, I like your style!

Kimberly Kryte
    February 23, 2011 at 5:08 pm

Where did you get your sofas? I love, love, love them. Seriously, where?

February 23, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Thank you! They are SUPER comfy! We found them at Value City furniture. I’m not sure if they have them anymore because we purchased the floor model. But they are made by American Signature. Hope that helps!

April Moss
    February 23, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Bentley is SO adorable! It makes me want to get a puppy…

linda b
    February 23, 2011 at 5:24 pm

Wow! You have come such a distance with that room! Great job, guys!

Shannon
    February 23, 2011 at 6:16 pm

I really like what you’ve done with the room so far. It looks so inviting and cozy. I love the mirror but I’m anxious to see what kind of mantle you guys come up with. The rustic meets modern vibe is really fantastic and timeless. Keep up the good work!

michelle
    February 23, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Ah! I see Bentley!! He’s so adorable.
    Love the addition of the mirror and floor lamp!

Hailey
    February 23, 2011 at 11:19 pm

Bentley certainky has a beautiful place to lounge! Your home looks so inviting. I really love the soothing vibe.

Taylor Camp
    February 23, 2011 at 11:31 pm

Have you given any thought as to how you will decorate your mantle? I have only seen a few that I like.

Jill N
    February 23, 2011 at 11:42 pm

Thank you for not DIYing your house to death! I’m kinda sick of people thinking they have to DIY in order to qualify for writing a blog. Great place. Great style.

Wanda
    February 24, 2011 at 7:43 am

Looking good!

Kim
    February 24, 2011 at 10:02 am

I think the room looks awesome! Where did you get the piece that the TV sits on? My husband & I ahve been looking for something like this. Also, totally stoked about the new prints you will be selling :).

February 24, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Thank you! We are excited too πŸ™‚ We purchased the tv unit from Value City Furniture for a great price! (Here’s the link: http://bit.ly/gPPeiM) PS It looks so much nicer in person than it does on their website. Hope that helps!

Rebecca
    February 24, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Love the mirror over the fireplace! Chunky mirrors are great, and this is an unusual, but really attractive spot for yours. Wish my living room looked like this, haha!

joan
    February 25, 2011 at 11:02 am

I love the paint colors you have for both rooms…do you remember what they are?

February 25, 2011 at 11:06 am

Thanks! The color is Martha Stewart’s Cobblestone. Here’s the link for more info about the paint colors throughout the house: http://bit.ly/fLukrF

Dawn
    February 27, 2011 at 3:53 am

Is the “Rare Prints…” wall art vintage or did you purchase it somewhere? I’m looking for something similar for my office.

February 27, 2011 at 1:17 pm

We purchased it from Pottery Barn a while ago but they don’t carry it anymore. It’s such a shame because it’s one of our favorite pieces and we’ve been getting a lot of questions about it. We’ll be sure to post something if they happen to bring it back. THEY SHOULD!

Leslie @ NE Portland Bungalow
    February 27, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Wow- your floors are beautiful! And I love the mirror- a statement piece like that can really anchor the room.

carolyn
    March 2, 2011 at 6:29 am

I think your living room looks very inviting. It will make you feel better having something above the fireplace until you find what you want. I am all for holding out for the perfect piece. We just found some awesome reclaimed wood mirrors at restoration hardware and they look great in our living room. So glad I waited for the perfect mirrors. Good luck!