Shopping Trips

MY MOMMA TOLD ME, YOU BETTER SHOP AROUND

When it comes to finishing a room with accessories and accent furniture, it’s easy to rack up a huge bill. However, it is possible to hunt down great finds on a budget but like the song says, “you better shop around”.

When it comes to doing what our mama told us, as Smoky Robinson suggested, Home Goods is where I start. It’s the mother ship of discounts. Visiting our local Home Goods is becoming a weekly ritual around here. Their stock is constantly revolving and you never know what you’re going to find. Yesterday while on our weekly voyage, we found a lot of items that were dead ringers for other pieces we’ve seen recently in other stores or online… but for a fraction of the cost.  Luckily, I had my iPhone on hand and was able to snap a few photos to share here on the bloggidy.

Our first find was these awesome metal chairs (which were actually stashed in the back next to the restrooms). They look so similar to chairs we had noticed at another one of our favorite places to shop. Though they are little different, they are 50% cheaper and would act as a great alternative when shopping on a budget. They could easily be amped up with a coat or two of spray paint.

This white ceramic lamp found at Home Goods absolutely blew us away! It’s practically identical to Jonathan Adler’s Nelson lamp. It’s a well known fact around here that I l.o.v.e. Jonathan Adler. It’s even a running joke how I can spot a JA piece from a mile away. When I first laid eyes on this lamp, I thought, “Oh dear goodness, they have a Jonathan Adler lamp!?!”. After a closer look, I realized it wasn’t, but boy was it similar! Though it doesn’t bare the JA seal, it is the same size and practically the same shape but for $341 less! A perfect example of the “look for less” concept.

This quick iPhone photo really doesn’t do this next piece justice. We really wish it would work well in our living room (I’m still not convinced it wouldn’t. I’m just not sure it would “mesh well” with our TV unit). If it did, I would be taking photos of it in it’s new home at this very moment. The distressed wood and industrial accents makes this a great budget saving substitute for a coffee table at a particular “hardware store” we all know and love.

Coming in at $95 under it’s twin, this large mirror (made from recycled magazines) would be a great addition to a teen’s room or even a fun game room. Yet again, another great example as to why making the time to shop around (like mama said) can save you big bucks without sacrificing style.

Do you have favorite places to shop for budget friendly home decor? Come across any great finds lately? Let us know in the comment section. If you aren’t already a Home Goods fanatic, find out here if there’s a store near you.

Nope, we have not been paid or perked for writing this post. We are simply declaring our love for the awesomeness of Home Goods.

Lydia
    February 16, 2011 at 3:26 pm

I LOVE HOME GOODS! I actually think it’s more of an addiction than a love I think.

Emilee
    February 16, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Home Goods rocks! I’m loving th metal chairs! It would be so much fun to paint them fun colors.

Adrianna Kemp
    February 16, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Great “look for less” finds! Wow. I think I even like the less expensive of the two coffee tables best. And the Adler lamps are unbelievably similar.

Karla Kay
    February 16, 2011 at 4:22 pm

I love going to Home Goods. I also enjoy Marshalls and TJ Maxx. I bought a large sand hour glass for $10 at Marshalls a few months ago. It was almost identical to one I had seen at another well known store for $50. Made my day:)

Michael
    February 16, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Smokey Robinson! Yes!

Alison
    February 16, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Great post! I’m such a Home Goods fan. I saw that recycled magazine mirror over the weekend and had no idea it had an expensive twin.

Dee B
    February 16, 2011 at 6:28 pm

I think I’m going to have to drive to Richmond (from Philly) just to get that lamp! Great post!!

Carol H
    February 16, 2011 at 8:01 pm

We don’t have Home Goods but we do have Pottery Barn Outlet. I love going there! I wish we had Home Goods though.

NicoleS
    February 16, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Hey Ashley & Greg! I just wanted to say, I am absolutely loving your blog! I found it over on Young House Love and I have now read every single post! I love your writing and I already feel like I know you guys & Bentley too. He is too cute! Anyway, keep up the good work and I can’t wait to see the progress with your house.

Shannon
    February 16, 2011 at 9:59 pm

My husband won’t let me go to Home Goods anymore. I buy too much! 🙁

Jerrica
    February 16, 2011 at 11:03 pm

Oh I so love that lamp! I shouldn’t buy…more…lamps. I just got two new glass ones. But those are really pretty. I’ve never had a white lamp before, is that reason enough to try my Home Goods and buy it if I see it? 😉

I love “look for less” posts. Thanks!

Sara Bowery
    February 17, 2011 at 3:18 pm

I’m loving this post. It validates my obsession with Home Goods!

Molly K
    February 17, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Do you ever shop at TJMaxx or SteinMart? They have some great stuff there too. Not as much “home stuff” like Home Goods but still a pretty good selection.