Decor Trends

“REEL” ART

An escalating trend in modern interior design is none other than the classic movie poster. Long gone are the days of movie posters only being suitable for the dorm room. With the addition of a frame to class things up, classic movie posters can bring a lot of personality and a touch of quirkiness to a room.

But there’s something to be said about real art as opposed to “reel” art. So, we’re anxious to hear what you have to say about this rising trend. What do you think? Yay or Nay?

Funny Face poster as wall art photo found at InStyle. Snag your own Funny Face poster here.

Shannon
    February 18, 2011 at 12:18 pm

I think it depends on the poster. No to “The Matrix”. Yes to “Funny Face”.

Heather
    February 18, 2011 at 12:20 pm

I love it. And Funny Face is one of my favorite movies. I am guessing that if I tried it at my house, though, the hubs would request something “less girly.” Like, maybe, Vertigo or North by Northwest? Hmm…

February 18, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Yes! Both great hubs-friendly titles! I’m loving the artwork for both of those as well.

Michelle
    February 18, 2011 at 12:22 pm

I adore the idea of framed classic movie posters! It tells a lot about a person’s personality too. I have a friend in someone who hangs a Singing in the Rain or To Catch A Thief poster in their living room. Great post!

Kacey
    February 18, 2011 at 12:28 pm

I think it depends on what it is — and how authentic it is. I have an actual antique poster from Seven Year Itch that I LOVE. But, I wouldn’t go out and buy a fake one from Michaels. πŸ™‚

Maggie M
    February 18, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Absolutely ADORE this trend…and I would kill for that poster in my room…hubby probably wouldn’t mind either – he loves Audrey Hepburn. Maybe my daughter’s room…it’s OK to completely impose your sense of style on your kids, right??? Right???? πŸ˜‰

February 18, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Totally right! πŸ˜‰

Linda
    February 18, 2011 at 12:54 pm

I really loving this idea! Classic movies are the best, hands down!

Sally Simmons
    February 18, 2011 at 12:59 pm

New movies, uh huh. Classic movies, definitely. The artwork of old movies are so much better than modern movies. Using a classic film will give the room a more vintage vibe too.

DarrylGee
    February 18, 2011 at 1:01 pm

I’m a fan of Sci-Fi movie posters! Invaders From Mars…The Brain That Wouldn’t Die…Creature From the Black Lagoon…that’s art!

Beth H.
    February 18, 2011 at 1:01 pm

I think using movie posters as art is a GENIUS idea!

Cindy Dunn
    February 18, 2011 at 1:04 pm

I’ve been looking for art for our dining room for a long time and I think this may be the answer. Thank you for posting this!

Claire
    February 18, 2011 at 1:06 pm

I think framed oldie kid’s movie posters is the “ticket” (pun intended) for a kid’s room. Like Parent Trap, The Shaggy Dog, etc. That would be adorable!

Kelly M
    February 18, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Yes to Christmas movie posters. Love them.

Christin
    February 18, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Yay. Totally. I actually really want to make a whole movie room inour future basement filled with framed posters of classics or some of our faves. But one or 2 in a non movie themed room can totally work.

Katie
    February 18, 2011 at 3:52 pm

I currently have a large gallery wall of vintage movie posters in my living room. I have two big ones, the orange version of the Funny Face film poster and James Bond: From Russia with love. I then have 10 smaller and different in size prints, from my favourite Hitchcock films, Creature of the Black Laogon and A Streetcar Named Desire. I did it on the cheap by printing pictures of the posters I found on different websites and then sizing them to my frames. The large posters only cost $10 a piece. This wall is by far my favourite in my house.

Courtney McWilliams
    February 18, 2011 at 4:52 pm

I love the idea of using classic movie posters as art! It’s so quirky and fun. Love this post!

Tweets that mention Β» β€œREEL” ART 7th House on the Left -- Topsy.com
    February 18, 2011 at 5:34 pm

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Chicago Home Mag and Greg + Ashley, Greg + Ashley. Greg + Ashley said: Decorating with classic movie posters. Yay or nay? Tell us what you think… http://bit.ly/ijYPVk […]

Rach
    February 18, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Oh how I wish I had a room just for that Funny Face poster (framed of course!)! Obviously that’s a “yay” on the using posters for artwork. πŸ™‚

B Allen
    February 18, 2011 at 8:11 pm

I have incorporated a gallery of movie posters in our home’s decor. They have generated more conversation/discussion than the massive pop culture gallery in my library. A favorite in our home. (I really like the Funny Face poster displayed in your post.)

Ivy
    February 18, 2011 at 8:21 pm

I like the idea. It’s probably cliche but I would probably do a Casablanca poster or The Thin Man. You can get HUGE classic movie posters on Amazon cheap.

Taylor Camp
    February 18, 2011 at 8:28 pm

I love movie posters! I’m seriously addicted. FilmPosters.com is a great place to shop if you’re looking for authentic original posters. If you’re okay with reproductions AllPosters.com is the place to shop. I prefer mine framed, with classic white mats and non-glare glass. Movie posters can set any type of atmosphere you are trying to achieve. Happy, dark, fun, classic, childlike, masculine, feminine, scary, nostalgic, tropical, era driven, etc. Great to work with!

Jessica F
    February 18, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Yes, please, and thank you! Just because someone doesn’t put paint brush to canvas doesn’t mean it isn’t art. Good design is art. I’m a huge fan of any poster designed by Saul Bass!

Sarah
    February 20, 2011 at 12:21 am

We use them, so I think movie posters make great wall art! We selected two for our living room: the French posters for Amelie (with the full title) and Casablanca. They are both very stylized and the colors complement each other and our decor. We also have a poster for The Goonies. Many film posters are works of art! Also key to this in my opinion is that the movie be something meaningful to you. Our posters are from our very favorite films. πŸ™‚

Nicole
    February 20, 2011 at 1:20 am

I think using ‘collegy’ type art items is fine, it all depends on what else is in the room. You just have to be careful to integrate more grown-up looking stuff as well. Two of my favorite house tours that do this sucessfully are here:

Megan
    February 20, 2011 at 11:54 pm

Nay, unless it’s a movie that holds a special meaning to you as a couple AND looks good as decor, otherwise I think it just has a fake feeling to it.

Lydia
    February 21, 2011 at 1:25 pm

I definitely say “Yay!”. I love the idea of using vintage movie posters as art. But it has to be the perfect one in order to work well.

Linda b
    February 23, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Yay!

Pam
    April 18, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Oh No! I had just chosen the latest pic for my home:

And now I see this posting for Funny Face and I want both!

Pam