Dining Room Shopping + Thrifting

TABLES TURNED

We are back to give an update on the dining room table. Last time, we were hard at work deciding between three lovely options: West Elm’s Angled-Leg Expandable Table, Haverty’s Copley Square Trestle Table, and the Avington Salvaged Beam Dining Table from Restoration Hardware. Though they each had their pros (and cons), we ultimately decided on… drum roll please… the Copley Square Trestle Table from Haverty’s.

As we mentioned in an earlier post, The Copley Square Trestle table is the big sister to our previous table (which has since been discontinued). We loved the durability and craftsmanship, so it was hard to see it go, but we knew we couldn’t go wrong investing in a similar, yet much bigger table. Our worries about it being “too traditional” went right out the window when the delivery guys brought her in. I snapped this photo as soon as they walked out the door:

The table comes with two 18″ leaves. By adding both leaves, the table expands to 100″x44″ making room for 8 people comfortably. We started out wth both leaves in and lived with it for a few days, but it seemed to overpower the room. Even though it fit just fine, it was just a little much on the eyes and it made the room look a tad chair-happy, so we took out one of the two leaves, making the table 82″x44″. This seemed to be a much better fit for everyday use.

As for the unused leaf, for now, we are storing it in the guest room closet, since that room is currently empty. Later down the road, however, we are going to find a more suitable and permanent place to store it.

Since we took out one of the leaves, we now have two additional chairs to store when we aren’t using them. We thought about covering them with plastic and storing it at the top of the attic stairs, but we are worried the Virginia summer heat will harm the wood. In the mean time, we are trying to come up with another storage solution.

Though the table and chairs are unmistakably “traditional”, we plan on finishing off the space with modern accents that will surely tone down the traditional and amp up the eclectic vibe. We also plan on adding some sort of clean-lined overhead light fixture down the road as well as panel curtains.

Overall, we are super excited about the new table and can’t wait to adorn the room with personality. But all of that will come in due time. After all, patience is a virtue.

Claire
    February 7, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Great choice! The table looks great and I’m looking forward to seeing your added “personality”. Well done!

Beth H.
    February 7, 2011 at 1:44 pm

You’ve never mentioned your attic (except how you organized your containers). Is it a walk-up or do you have a pull down ladder?

Molly K
    February 7, 2011 at 2:03 pm

I found your blog yesterday via Young House Love and I am already addicted! I was wondering the same thing about the attic. And where do you access it?

February 7, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Our attic is a pull down ladder and it’s in the hallway. The ladder actually broke shortly after we moved in. Since then, we’ve been having to improvise using a “normal” ladder and literally had to drill the door in place to keep it shut. We’re replacing it soon though! We’ll be sure to blog about it when we do, of course! πŸ™‚

Hilary @ My So-Called Home
    February 7, 2011 at 2:30 pm

The table is a beautiful choice. Can’t wait to see all the finishes you’ll bring in.

elizabeth
    February 7, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Are those flowers on the table fake? If so, what are they are where did you get them? They look awesome. P.S. I love the table.

February 7, 2011 at 6:16 pm

Yep, you caught us. They are fake, haha! We like to keep fresh flowers in the house but when we don’t have any, we use these babies. They are faux hydrangeas (my favorite) from Ikea.

Val
    February 7, 2011 at 3:03 pm

I am wondering where I am going to store my extra dining room chairs myself–but I have much less space. Could they work in the guest room–maybe flanking a small side table?

February 7, 2011 at 6:12 pm

I’m not a professional interior designer, but if I were in your position, it would depend on the size and style of the chairs. If it’s workable, that would be an ideal solution. Send us some photos or share them on our Facebook page (http://on.fb.me/cZADDi) and we’d be happy to give you our opinion (maybe get some feedback from readers too!). When our space is limited, we are forced to become more creative. Sounds like your creative juices are flowing! πŸ™‚

Val
        February 8, 2011 at 2:11 pm

I meant your guest room–I only wish two dining chairs could fit in mine!

Brenn
        February 8, 2011 at 3:16 pm

I’m going to be sending some photos your way for sure! I’d love to get your opinion on a couple of things.

kristen
    February 7, 2011 at 3:26 pm

I LOVE the new table. Great choice.

Janet
    February 7, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Love it!

I have seen extra chairs stored right in the room against the wall on either side of the buffet. It looks nice and allows the chairs to easily be reachable when they are needed. And also makes sure all chairs are getting the same air/sunlight exposure so that the extras don’t end up being darker or different after a while.

As for the extra leaf, end a bed is always a great solution. I love that your table sits 8. Our room would never hold a table that large but maybe someday. πŸ™‚

Patricia Lambert
    February 7, 2011 at 5:48 pm

I’m new to your blog and I love your new table, but I have to say your floors are totally GORGEOUS! What brand and color stain did you use?

February 7, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Thank you! We used Minwax’s Dark Walnut. We also requested that our floor guy water pop the wood prior to staining. You can read more about that process here: http://bit.ly/dxkqSz

Irene
    February 7, 2011 at 6:28 pm

That’s a beautiful table. It’s so elegant.

Brenda
    February 7, 2011 at 10:12 pm

I must say, I am envious of this table. It is gorgeous. I can’t wait to see how you accessorize it!

thecounselormom
    February 8, 2011 at 9:01 am

I love your choice!! It looks amazing in your dining room! By the way, I may have missed it as I just started reading your blog from the blogroll off younghouselove, but do you mind telling me what color paint you have in your dining room? I love it!!

February 8, 2011 at 11:26 am

Thank you! It is Martha Stewart’s Cobblestone. We love the color and the coverage is great!
      For more detailed info about all of our paint colors, here’s the link: http://bit.ly/fLukrF
      Hope that helps!

Kristen
    February 8, 2011 at 9:59 am

I found your blog through Young House Love and just wanted to say I love it! Your writing is awesome and your home is gorgeous!

Brittney
    February 8, 2011 at 12:22 pm

I love your dining room chairs. Would you mind sharing where you picked them up at?

Thanks!

February 8, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Thank you! They are from Haverty’s as well. When people come over, they always mention how comfortable they are — we love them! It sounds like we work for Haverty’s, but we don’t, haha!

m.r.
    February 9, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Store the extra leaf flat. We were told to store ours under our bed. Flat storage, especially during a hot summer, will help avoid warping of wood.

Vicky
    June 9, 2015 at 3:00 pm

I love this table…I need two side chairs..you wouldnt be selling any would you?

June 11, 2015 at 6:41 pm

We sold it a few months ago, sorry! Try searching Craigslist for “Copley Square”. Hope you find another one like it!

Johanna
    December 2, 2015 at 6:52 pm

Hey Ashley I love the set and would like to know that exact place you got it from I read from Havertys but they sell everything separate. How much did you spend for the whole set?
    Thank you!

January 4, 2016 at 9:29 am

We purchased everything separately – and I can’t remember how much the whole set was at the time. Sorry!