Currently Loving

MY INNER DONNA REED

50s aprons

It’s no secret that I love old TV shows. That might be because I’d be perfectly happy living in the “nearly-perfect”Β world portrayed in these shows. A Milk Man, grocery delivery, unlocked doors, and knowing the name of everyone on your block; doesn’t it sound absolutely wonderful? Then again, I would miss blogging… and Twitter.

Long gone are the days of Lucy Ricardo, Donna Reed and June Clever. Life is busy, hectic, and we sometimes have to fight to keep everything straight. That doesn’t mean we can’t channel our inner 50’s housewife every now and then.Β One thing all of my favorite 50’s housewives had in common, besides a spotless house and endless amounts of energy, is they liked their aprons. To me, an apron is one of those things you wouldn’t think you need until you actually use one. A friend gave me a Martha Stewart apron about a year ago as a gag gift (I love all things Martha). I decided to use it one day when I was rushing around the kitchen (in our old apartment) trying to get dinner ready before my in-laws came over. Come to find out, they’re tremendously functional and I was hooked. Especially when you are making mashed potatoes and they kind of… explode. Then when the in-laws show up, just throw the apron in the washer and you’re ready without the mess.

So, yeah, they’re functional. But it can also act as a fashion statement, and that’s where we’re headed today. Aprons are coming back in a stylish way and I’m here to share a few of my favorites that Lucy, Donna, and June would adore…

a. Bib Gigi I Love Cherries Apron b. Anchors Away Mia Apron c. Bib Ava Retro Cherries Arpon

d. Sweet Sparrow Half Apron e. Tweety Too Half Apron f. Rosie Half Apron

d. Dotty Match Apron e. Gray Gardens Apron f. HMS Lollipop Apron

j. Chocolate Kimono with Pool Dot Apron k. Minerva Halter Apron l. Lotus Flower Apron

So the question is ladies, are you an apron girl? Have you always been or is it a new thing for you? We’d love to hear your apron stories. Happy Friday everyone!

Robin
    March 11, 2011 at 2:02 pm

I am so an apron girl! Love this post. I have the Dotty Match Apron (d) and love it, but I think I have to get the Chocolate Kimono with Pool Dot. You can’t have too many aprons! I often daydream about how I can make my kitchen match my aprons. How fun would that be?

Shannon
    March 11, 2011 at 2:04 pm

I normally don’t use aprons but these look too fun not to try one out! I’ve had some mashed potatoes explosions too. πŸ˜‰

Linda
    March 11, 2011 at 2:12 pm

I’m an apron girl! I’m a messy cook like Barefoot Contessa. I just wish I had her kitchen too! Great post.

Alana Taylor
    March 11, 2011 at 2:15 pm

I too love aprons! I don’t have one yet though! Hmmm…may need to give the hubby a hint that this would be the perfect birthday present!

Being a little domestically challenged, I would think that putting on an apron would instantly makes me feel like I’m one step closer to becoming Martha Stewart! Even if the cookies burn or the house is a wreck, I can at least look cute! Right?

PatriciaBarrett
    March 11, 2011 at 2:18 pm

I love aprons! I have some that belonged to my grandmother and use them daily. I started using them and now can’t cook without them! I will one day have to put them away, but will cherish them always:). I really like the Gray Gardens apron!

Stephanie
    March 11, 2011 at 2:20 pm

I have two super cute aprons (one with cupcakes and one from anthro), although sadly, never use them! They are always an after thought…grrr…

Although I am really liking the chocolate kimono, lollipop, lotus flower, and grey gardens aprons above!

DeannaL
    March 11, 2011 at 2:27 pm

I’m callng my grandmother TODAY to see if she will let me have some of her aprons:). I know she’ll say “yes”:) I’m so excited!

Christin
    March 11, 2011 at 3:12 pm

I have never really been an apron girl, but I randomly decided I wanted one for Christmas and my sister got me one! I’m Swedish and love all things Swedish, so it has dala horses all over it in bright colors. It’s adorable and I love it. And when I’m not wearing it it hangs on the white doors to out pantry and looks so cute!

Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me
    March 11, 2011 at 3:31 pm

I’ve never actually used one but I’d love to try it out and these are absolutely adorable.

Kristina
    March 11, 2011 at 3:39 pm

I have just recently become an apron girl as I just love to bake all day in the kitchen. I actually bought the Ava Retro Cherries Apron from amazon….and I love it!!!

Gina G
    March 11, 2011 at 4:51 pm

I love, love, love aprons! These are so adorable and some of them look cute enough to be dresses!

Shirley
    March 11, 2011 at 7:55 pm

This post and following comments has made me want to buy some aprons so I can hand them down to my three girls one day.

JillGee
    March 11, 2011 at 7:57 pm

I have aprons but I NEVER pull them out. I think I’ll have to pull them out this weekend:). Cute post!

Lesley from Manila
    March 12, 2011 at 12:12 am

i’ve been looking for mother’s day gift ideas for our employees and after looking at these lovely aprons you shared, i’m inspired to get more for my own to use as well! it’ll probably cost me much less to have them custom-made in my country πŸ™‚ thank you for this post. i truly enjoy reading your blog!

Karen
    March 12, 2011 at 1:53 pm

My daughter (age 6) and I have matching aprons:)

March 12, 2011 at 2:58 pm

I absolutely love aprons! So sweet!

Leslie @ NE Portland Bungalow
    March 12, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Like you, I didn’t realize how great an apron can be until I used one. Now, I love my apron. It’s plain black. When I’m in apron-wearing-mode, I also keep a dish towel thrown over my shoulder. I’m not really sure why that started, but it’s so useful!

Jamie
    March 14, 2011 at 10:07 am

So happy I found your site. I love vintage aprons. My favorite is C. Thank you for sharing. Hope to see you over at DIY Home Sweet Home. I am having a link party today and every Monday so be sure to stop by and see all of the great projects.

Candace T
    March 14, 2011 at 11:09 am

I love apron!!!

britt Tuite
    March 14, 2011 at 8:59 pm

I must have that anchors away apron in a dress!! I love it!

Carrie
    April 12, 2011 at 2:11 pm

::happy sigh:: Gotta love the 50’s! I just bought my very apron and adore it…I think I’m a 25-year-old who was born in the wrong era. Wish I could have lived life in the 50’s/60’s! Thanks for posting about this =)

Kelly
    July 24, 2012 at 12:23 pm

LOVE aprons. I have two from Heavenly Hostess and a few others I’ve gotten over the years, including one that says “be nice to me or I’ll poison your food” that I wear when cooking for bigger events. Gotten to where I wear them when I’m in full-on cleaning mode too! Great to have all those pockets to put small stuff in while picking up, saving me from fifteen trips to the back of the house. And then it also saves my tshirts and pants from cleaning product splashes!