Guest Bedroom Shopping + Thrifting

THE CLOCK IS TICKING…

We’re counting down to the arrival of our first overnight guests (my awesome grandparents) in our new-to-us house. So this weekend, we needed to get some serious shopping done. We had some luck, but not as much as we had hoped. With that being said,Β today’s guest room update has good news and some not-so-good news. I like to put the good news first, so here we go…

First off, remember the Jonathan Adler-esque lamp we found at Home Goods a couple of weeks ago? Well, ever since I posted about it, that lamp has been haunting me. I even dreamed about fighting over it with Candice Olson in the aisle of Home Goods. Yeah… that’s just weird. Well, I couldn’t take it anymore, so on Saturday, Greg and I decided to go back to Home Goods and see if it was still around. I wasn’t getting my hopes up because A) it had been a few weeks since I spotted it and B) it’s Home Goods on a Saturday — everything was bound to get picked over. Therefore, chances were good that we would arrive to an empty shelf where a beautiful white lamp once stood. We walked about the corner and…

…there it was! However, they only had one left and we were hoping for two (one for each side of the bed). I asked the manager if they happened to have another one in the back, but no luck there. He did say they will be getting more lamps in later in the week and I should check back to see if another one like this comes in. We decided to go ahead and snatch the one they had, then check back during the week. Fingers crossed! If we’re not able to find a mate, that’s okay too because I love the lamp way too much and I’ll definitely find another place for it (maybe in the foyer or my office).

After we left Home Goods, we moseyed on over to Tuesday Morning in hopes of finding some bed linens. Like Home Goods, the store was really busy, as it is every Saturday. You could definitely tell the bedding aisle was very picked over, but they still had a lot of options. It was kind of like a hunting expedition. Just when we were about to give up, we found exactly what we were looking for: a solid white, wrinkle resistant, duvet cover.

And the price tag wasn’t too shabby either…

That’s a savings of $210! Score! We also snatched up a really nice mattress cover that was originally $95 and marked down to $35.99 as well as a set of sheets that was originally $325 marked down to $89.99. That’s a total savings of $504.02! Not bad, not bad at all.

A few hours later, we were back home with the goods (pun not intended) and the new bedding was washed, dried and on the bed. The room is still sparse. Let me rephrase that–VERY sparse. Next on the list is the rest of the bedding (duvet, pillows, blanket/quilt, etc), wall art and beside tables (which have been super hard to find thus far!). And hopefully, we will find a the matching lamp too! We are kind of in love with it.

This is where we talk about the not-so-good news. As I finished putting on the new mattress pad and sheets, I stepped back to make sure everything was straight when all of the sudden, out of the corner of my eye, there was this yellow, almost neon orb. It was the chair! Yes! The NEW one! Okay, so maybe I’m exaggerating a tad but something was definitely sticking out like a sore thumb. I called Greg into the room to make sure it wasn’t just me.

Actually, it’s a lot more yellow with the lights off…

And it wasn’t just me. Greg noticed it too without me having to say anything (it’s a lot more noticeable in person). Apparently with the addition of the white-white sheets, the sort-of-off-white-but-it-didn’t-really-matter-at-the-time chair became much, much more off-white.

When we first saw the chair online, we immediately fell in love with the clean lines and simple “Martha Stewart” look. However, sadly, we are going to have to return it. We’re adding a lot of white touches to the room — like the duvet cover, curtains and our Jonathan Adler-esque lamp. So the chair isn’t going to be the best fit for this space after all.

The online customer service representatives from Overstock.com absolutely rock our world. To initiate the return process, all I had to do was go to their website, chat with the online operator, answer a few questions and she sent a mailing label our way — which we should be getting via email within the next few hours. Once we print it out and pack the box back up, the chair will be on its way back to the warehouse. In the meantime, the hunt is on for a new chair for the guest room. At this point we will probably focus more on the bed and wall art before we make the decision on another chair because after all, the clock is ticking.

Gina G
    March 14, 2011 at 8:24 pm

I think I must have that lamp! I LOVE it!!

michelle
    March 14, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Too bad the chair clashes now! Hopefully you will be able to find another chair in time. I love white bedding! It’s so inviting. Definitely worth changing the chair!!

amy good house
    March 14, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Have you checked Marshalls and TJMaxx? Sometimes they have the same exact items as HomeGoods. You might find your lamp’s mate there!

Christine B
    March 14, 2011 at 10:16 pm

Now I want to go shopping!
    form2form.wordpress.com

Sarah K
    March 15, 2011 at 3:02 am

How much will it cost you to return the chair? I’ve heard nightmare stories about return shipping costs for Overstock.

March 15, 2011 at 9:55 am

So far our process has been pretty painless. We just have to pay for the shipping label ($32) and we get a full refund (because it’s within the 30-day return policy). The label is good for 10 days and we can schedule a refund. We just got the label, so we shall see how it goes πŸ™‚

Leslie @ NE Portland Bungalow
        March 22, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Please do let us know how the return goes! I just started the return process for our disposer- but it turned it to not be faulty (long story!) so we are keeping it. I was nervous about attempting to return it!

Melissa @ HOUSEography
    March 15, 2011 at 9:48 am

Definitely scope out Marshalls and TJ Maxx. Marshalls in particular seems to carry many of the same lamps as HomeGoods. I’m not sure that I didn’t see it at Marshalls in VA about 2 weeks ago. Also curious about return shipping from Overstock. I have had nightmare returns of clothing so I cannot imagine returning furniture.

March 15, 2011 at 10:01 am

I will definitely be checking Marshals and TJ Maxx! I’m also going to check the other Home Goods stores. Fingers crossed! So far, the Overstock return process hasn’t been bad — actually it’s been really easy. We just got the shipping label (which was $32 & good for 10 days). Now we just have to wrap up the chair in the box (which we kept just in case) and schedule a pickup. Hopefully things will go smoothly!

Shannon
    March 15, 2011 at 9:49 am

I love the shape of the chair but it really does stick out with the white sheets. Good call!

Jerrica
    March 15, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Good call on the lamps! When you mentoned them I even went to my local Home Goods and looked for them but they didn’t have them. Sadness.

Barb
    March 15, 2011 at 6:30 pm

I agree that the chair is less than perfect!!! Good call…..you will find another one you love. Be patient. Granny won’t mind if it isn’t there in time. Important not to take anything less than perfect.

I didn’t like the dents in the cushion…would not work for me!

Bethany
    March 17, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Sorry about the chair not working out, that’s annoying. what about a cute ottoman and a lil’ sheepskin rug, ikea-syle? the corner looks pretty tight. maybe an ottoman would be a good fit and give guests a place to tie shoes or put their stuff down.

Kindra
    March 22, 2012 at 11:33 pm

Hi Ashley! Can I ask, what is your wall color? I’m kinda in love with it!

March 23, 2012 at 10:39 am

Thanks! This room is Martha Stewart’s Artesian Well (found at Home Depot).