Decor Trends

DAYDREAM BELIEVER

martha stewart banquet seating

Okay, so there isn’t a homecoming queen in this post, but I couldn’t help but to reference the Monkees at any given chance — even though I was born in the 80’s.

Before we even began our house hunting search, we (well, mostly me) started collecting photos, floor plans, and house related clippings of what we wanted in our future house. One thing that always caught my eye, and still does, is kitchen banquette seating. I had seen banquette seating in magazines and movies but a few years ago, I saw it in person in a Martha Stewart KB Home model in Cary, North Carolina (after graduating from college, Greg and I toyed with the idea of moving there). I immediately fell in love with the idea and simply “had to have it” in my future home. I still have the photo I took that day…

Banquette seating, large windows, open shelving, crisp white wainscoting… swoon! From that day on, I started a file called “Banquette Seating” on my computer and collected photos to use as inspiration when we purchased our first home. Sadly, we don’t have an area for this but it’s okay to daydream, right? Here are my top 6 favorite inspiration photos from the file…

This image found on Decor Pad is one of my very first banquette seating inspiration images. Can’t you imagine having your morning coffee here?! The semetrical art work, sconces and flanking cabinetry tie everything together so nicely. The chandelier makes a huge statement without being too overpowering. I also love the powder blue walls. Heavenly!

This picturesque setting is in the home of textile designer LuLu De Kwiatkowski (image via Lonny Mag). I love the pairing of the crisp white bead board and the rustic farm table as well as the addition of the graphic print pillows. I also covet all of the natural lighting!

In this room, Martensen Jones Interiors took what could have been an awkward flex space in this beautiful kitchen and turned it into a perfect, what I like to call, “coffee nook”. The carrara marble table top ties in with the countertop and backsplash. By using the same material, this really ties in the two “zones”.

Surrounded by white cabinetry, backsplash and countertops, the gray and white striped fabric on the banquette seating in this kitchen (Gast Architects) is the perfect touch of whimsy! I also love how the black table in front of the banquette seating adds some needed depth and helps ground the room. A perfect combination of light and dark!

Yes, another white kitchen! Ya’ll should know by now that I have an obsession with white kitchens. Moving on… This kitchen by Jennifer Dryer (image via Lonny Mag) is another great example of using a potentially awkward space and transforming it into a perfectly thought out nook. This would be a great little space for kids (or in our case, Bentley) to hang out while we cook. The extra storage under the seating is a plus too. Oh, I envy this kitchen!

If there were a photo with practically all of my current obsessions… this one would be it. Neutral gray fabric, tufted banquette seating, wing back chairs, a pop of color by way of a simple floral arrangement, typography artwork, gobs of coffee table books… what do I NOT love about this photo? Nothing! Simply put, Kishani Perera outdid herself.

So there you have it… my top 6 favorite inspiration photos for banquette seating. Even though we don’t have a place for it in our house, a little daydreaming eye candy never hurts.

Just because I can’t get the song out of my head now, I must close with a tribute to one of my favorite Monkees songs:

Are you daydreaming about a certain architectural feature you long to have in your home? We’d love to hear your daydreaming stories…

Stephanie
    March 24, 2011 at 1:12 pm

I love it! We are actually about to build an L shaped banquette for our kitchen (which is white)! I will have to share it with you when we are done 🙂

Liz
    March 24, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Banquette seating is one of those things that you see in the movies and wish you had in your own kitchen. I would love to have a space like the Jennifer Dyer kitchen!!

Rachel
    March 24, 2011 at 1:44 pm

They’re all gorgeous!!! I usually think of that sort of seating in a “country” kitchen but these photos have all changed my mind… and that’s a good thing. 🙂

Emily
    March 24, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Love this post! But now that song is going to be in my head all day!

Molly
    March 24, 2011 at 2:28 pm

I can’t get enough of banquette seating. It’s so lovely and cozy!! Great round up of gorgeous and inspirational photos!

michelle
    March 24, 2011 at 3:17 pm

I’m with Rachel (the above comment)… I always thought of banquette seating as being country. These are so modern and fresh! I’m officially a banquette fan!

Sarah M
    March 24, 2011 at 6:44 pm

Now I need banquette seating in my next kitchen because of this photo collection. Lovely!

Hillary @ The Sweet Maple Life
    March 24, 2011 at 6:53 pm

SO FUNNY! I have a lot of these same photos saved on my hard drive for inspiration! I am determined to turn the corner of our kitchen to an eat-in banquette area!!… swoon is right!

Ross
    March 25, 2011 at 6:12 am

Great house! Your style is right up my alley. Looking forward to coming back and reading more!

Irene
    March 25, 2011 at 12:14 pm

I would LOVE a banquette, but doubt there would be room for one in our dining room. How cozy would that be…

Jen Migonis
    March 25, 2011 at 6:16 pm

I am also obsessed with white kitchens… In love with the coffee nook and the gray and white striped fabric. Thanks for some fab ideas! 🙂

Meg
    March 26, 2011 at 4:50 pm

“Oooh”‘ed out loud more over each successive picture!
    Just wanted to add that I’m so tempted to paint our pretty, newer maple (?) cabinets white, white white because of my love of a white kitchen. It really does give the impression of clean…when it’s not so clean in reality.

Lauren @ Hungry Child in the City
    March 28, 2011 at 11:34 am

This looks great, I really like the banquette seating idea. It’s very cozy and you can change the covering on the cushions if you get bored!

ALLISON
    March 28, 2011 at 12:17 pm

I can’t believe you posted this! I love the Monkees too!! And I was also born in the 80’s!

Megan
    March 29, 2011 at 5:35 pm

I desperately want a banquet in my house – but there is just no room. These pictures make me so happy and so sad at the same time 🙂

Natalie Scherer
    June 23, 2011 at 11:33 am

I love the “Heaven” song sign! Do you know where it came from?

June 23, 2011 at 12:39 pm

I believe they (or someone they know) made it. It would be super fun to DIY!