Shopping + Thrifting

A DIAMOND IN THE ROUGH

Every couple of days, I like to search Craigslist for unique pieces of furniture needing a little TLC or a fresh coat of paint. Particularly, I’ve been on the lookout for a foyer table solution. Everything I find (and love) is either too long or already spoken for.

Last week, Greg and I were watching NCIS — well, I was kind of watching. I was actually sitting there on my iPhone searching theΒ Craigslist app for a “perfect” foyer table. While I didn’t find exactly what I was looking for, I did find aΒ perfectly imperfect little table that I knew would go great in the house. I showed it to Greg. He approved. Actually, I think his exact words, or word, was “cool”. I quickly contacted the seller, anxiously hoping it wasn’t already spoken for (like so many of my Craigslist almost-finds). After a few emails back and forth, it was all ours for $50 cash. So, a few days later,Β Greg went to pick it up after work.

Just look at that potential! It’s obviously not an option for the foyer, but I just had to have it. I don’t know where or how we are going to use it, but I love it. It’s clean, simple, has a definite mid century modern feel to it and best of all, it needs some TLC.

After a fresh coat of paint (in a fun, bright color), I’m thinking it would be a perfect (and stylish) home for the printer, paper and extra ink in my office. It would also be a great side table for Greg’s future reading chair in his office. Then again, it might even be a great side table for the chair in the guest room. But for now, it’s hanging out in the corner of my office. And hopefully, soon it will be our very own diamond in the rough.

Have you ever stumbled on a great Craigslist find? Be sure to share your stories (and links!) in the comments section…

Heads up for you RVA locals: Come to find out, the seller has an entire warehouse, Ralph’s Warehouse, of unique furniture and other great finds just waiting to be refurbished and repurposed! Greg got to scout it out when he picked up the table and said it was definitely worth checking out again. I can’t wait to go check it out myself!

Jana
    March 4, 2011 at 1:50 pm

This is a gem. Henredon furniture is upscale, quality furniture…spendy stuff!

It is going to look fantastic once you have it all spiffed up!

Great find!

Stacy
    March 4, 2011 at 1:54 pm

I was just clicking down here to say the same thing as the above comment. Henredon furniture is top notch. You have found a fabulous, fabulous piece!!

Sally Simmons
    March 4, 2011 at 1:58 pm

I’m voting for the guest room! That would be a really good sized table for some extra storage next to the chair (if it will fit!) and it would be a good place to bring in a pop of color!

michelle
    March 4, 2011 at 2:18 pm

I wish I could find stuff like this on Craigslist. I never have any luck! I have been able to sell a few things though. So I guess that’s a little luck. πŸ˜‰

Molly K
    March 4, 2011 at 3:14 pm

GREAT find! So jealous!!

Lindsey
    March 4, 2011 at 3:22 pm

We love Craigslist! We’ve found and sold many things on there – but the best has to be our dining room table. It’s a 60″x60″ black Pottery Barn table, 2 leaves and 8 black PB Chairs. We absolutely love it – it’s perfect for any number, we had 12 for Christmas dinner this year! Best part – all of that, $650.

I can’t wait to see what you do with your table!

Sheens
    March 4, 2011 at 5:20 pm

It’s lovely. We found a wonderful glass dining table with x-legs and 4 golden highbacked chairs for 280. And a mid century modern credenza with great detailing that’s the highlight of our living room for 250. Persistence pays off, there’s a lot of overpriced junk out there too, but completely worth it when you find the one. What’d we do without craigslist?

Kaleena
    March 4, 2011 at 6:41 pm

I recently stumbled across your blog from Young House Love. It has been fun to see what you’re doing with your house. πŸ™‚ Last week I found a great chair my husband and I plan to reupholster, only $30! Similar chairs were selling for $150. We are excited to tackle this project…gotta love Craigslist!

Irene
    March 4, 2011 at 7:56 pm

That’s such a useful, versatile piece.

Felicity
    March 4, 2011 at 11:44 pm

Ooh I love it! I have a cabinet at my parents’ house that I’m dying to get here so I can paint it something fun (at least on the inside). Can’t wait to see what color you choose!

HugeR
    March 5, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Interested in selling your table? πŸ™‚

Hayden Phelps
    March 5, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Call me crazy but I like the table the way it is! Shabby Chic? You might could sand off a little more paint in certain areas and call it a day. What a great find!

Erin Branscom
    March 5, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Hi, I just found your blog, and wanted to say hello and let you know that I am your newest follower! πŸ™‚ Love your blog! Erin

March 5, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Hi Erin! Thanks for following! We’re happy to have you here for the ride πŸ™‚

Sara Smith
    March 6, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Like Erin, I also just found your blog, and LOVE it!! Can’t wait to see your kitchen, l’m absolutely loving your choices!! Looks very much like the choices for my dream kitchen, although now I’m considering gray cabinets…since I’ve seen so many beautiful examples. Keep posting, your house is looking gorgeous! I especially love your floors!!

Hilary @ My So-Called Home
    March 7, 2011 at 1:43 pm

What a score! Our living room leather sofa was an awesome Craigslist find when we were living in NYC.

Diana
    March 7, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Craigslist is such a good way to go to get inexpensive well-loved furniture that can be awesome with a little love. I’ve also been looking for a piece for the entryway, something that I can put a row of baskets in to store all of our stuff.