empty kitchen

Once again, we’re keeping it real and bringing you all along for the ride in our kitchen “reinstall” journey. As you know, we’re working on designing a kitchen using IKEA cabinets (more about that here and here). Since we are the type of people that want to do a lot of research before making a huge decision, we’re doing just that: research. After all, the kitchen is the “heart” of the home and it’s super important to us that we do this right — the first time. As you know, we’re pretty set on doing IKEA cabinets (read about our decision here). We love them and we’re welcoming the challenge. However, in the spirit of Research, Friday afternoon, a kitchen designer from Lowe’s, a super fun guy named Gaylord, came out to take a look and measure our “kitchen” (even though we totally feel like we’re cheating on our beloved IKEA). He also brought an installer with him to take a look…

Isn’t it sad looking? We have yet to put the old dining room table on Craigslist. At the moment, it’s serving as a good “catch all” surface. Anyway…

Gaylord asked a lot of questions about our needs, wants, how we cook and entertain, how many people we have over at one time, and what’s on our “ultimate wish list”. I actually found the whole process kind of fun and it made me think through some things that hadn’t crossed my mind yet — like a stainless steel hood vs. a “cabinet front” hood. Which, by the way, we’re leaning towards a stainless steel hood at this point. We also explained how we have been thinking about doing IKEA cabinets and even showed him what we came up with using the IKEA Kitchen Planning software.

The entire meeting process took only about 45 minutes but I feel we covered A LOT of ground in such as short time and Gaylord has a really good idea of what we’re looking for in a kitchen.Β Yesterday (only 48 hours later), we got a phone call letting us know our design was ready for us to look over. So, later today, Greg and I are meeting with him to go over the nitty gritty details.

Some of your may be wondering if we are totally throwing out the possibility of IKEA cabinets. No, absolutely not. We are simply weighing all of our options and gathering ideas from other professional kitchen designers before we go load up a rental truck of cabinet pieces.

We’ll be back tomorrow with how our meeting went and give you the low-down on all of the information we’ve gathered. Decisions, decisions…

March 28, 2011 at 12:02 pm

I’m going to call it and say you guys fall in love with Lowe’s cabinets and decide to go that route! My husband and I actually did the same thing. We started out going with Ikea and ended up with Home Depot cabinets bc of the quality and we had some odd shaped walls. After the fact, we are totally glad we made that decision!!! Good luck at your design meeting!

March 28, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Ohhhhh! That should be interesting! It’s been a lot of fun following you guys on this big decision making process. I’m looking forward to seeing what you end up doing – and what the kitchen designer comes up with.

April Moss
    March 28, 2011 at 12:08 pm

We have Lowe’s cabinets and LOVE them. I have a friend who has Ikea cabinets and they are pretty awesome too. They both definitely have their pros and cons. You’ve got a hard decision ahead of you two!

March 28, 2011 at 12:08 pm

I say you’ll go back to your first love of Ikea! πŸ˜‰

Linda b
    March 28, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Isn’t there a massive price difference between the two?

March 28, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Well, there’s bound to be a price increase, yes. Simply because the cabinets will already be put together. We were told that they have a “big” special going on right now, so we aren’t sure what the pricing will be like at this point. We’ll hopefully find all of that out today at our meeting and will be sure to share the info with you all.

March 28, 2011 at 12:11 pm

One thing is for sure is that you will have exactly what you want if you go the Lowe’s route. Even thought it may be more $$. You won’t have to worry about the odd size cabinets like you mentioned in your last post.

March 28, 2011 at 12:47 pm

well, Lowes has different price points so you have some choice when it comes to that.

Brittany S.
    March 28, 2011 at 1:48 pm

My uncle is a house flipper and even though he watches the bottom line as hard as he can, he always goes through Lowe’s for his kitchen cabinets. They have all price ranges, finishes, and their service is hard to beat. We’ll be going through them when we gut our kitchen in a year or so. We’ve already sat down with them on numerous occasions and even though they know we are a year out they always help us with planning ideas or questions.

Maria C
    March 28, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Wisdom…I love it!

March 28, 2011 at 3:36 pm

Ikea can save you money. Lowe’s can save you headaches. I’m into saving on the headaches! lol

March 28, 2011 at 6:19 pm

I have the exact cabinets you’re looking at from IKEA and have no complaints. Our kitchen is very white, with gray countertops, and it works for us. Let me know if you’d like to see any photos of it in a real house, or if you have any questions. Good luck deciding!

Tanya at Necessary Pleasures Blog
    March 28, 2011 at 11:47 pm

I’m anxious to hear what you decide! We’re going through the same thing right now: Ikea’s Lidingo

Versus Lowes or Home Depot.

Of course first we have to knock down two walls … and buy a new stove … and new countertops…

Remodeling is always such a domino game, isn’t it?!

March 29, 2011 at 9:27 am

Yes, it is! A mix between a domino game and creating a house of cards, for sure.
      Good luck with your project!

March 29, 2011 at 10:37 am

EEhh.. I really don’t know why I’m so excited, but I really want to see what your Mr. Lowes friend came up with design wise.

March 29, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Interesting. What an exciting process! I look forward to seeing how your kitchen turns out. Regardless of what you decide it will still be lovely!

March 29, 2011 at 3:31 pm

You’re smart to check out all your options! I didn’t even know Lowe’s offered this service, so thanks for telling us about it. My husband and I are renting a house in Paris for the year while we’re in graduate school here, and we have an IKEA kitchen. We are generally very happy with the durability of the cabinets and the overall look, but there is a funny little gap in the cabinetry that makes me wonder if our landlords couldn’t find find shelving that would fit perfectly in our kitchen.
    Good luck and looking forward to seeing Gaylord’s creative work!

March 29, 2011 at 9:54 pm

I love your blog! Just to throw another option out there… My husband and I renovated our 60’s ranch house (which has an eerily similar floor plan to yours!) back in 2009, and we looked at HD and Lowe’s for cabinets. We actually ended up going with custom cabinet makers where we were able to get cabinets sized exactly as we needed them and even created a bunch of fun things like a cutting-board-cubbie-hole thing. I was able to choose the exact paint color and finish I wanted, too. The price was actually LOWER than the big box stores for the cabinets and installation! You might want to check around since the renovation market is in a slump right now. Just a thought! πŸ™‚