Guest Bedroom Shopping + Thrifting

NATURALLY INVITING BEDDING

We’re busy getting the guest room Grandparent-ready. Well, as much as possible, anyway. We’re still down one lamp and two side tables, not to mention the situation with the non-white chair. Right now, we’re working on getting the bed “all inviting-looking and cozy,” as Ashley calls it. Ashley’s testing out a few decorative pillow choices, but here’s a sneak peek of what it’s looking like now…

Ordinarily, we are white, 100% cotton, wrinkle-free sheets kind of people. Our favorites were at Bed Bath & Beyond but we were told they don’t carry them anymore. Rumor has it that Target now carries something similar, but we haven’t had a chance to check those out yet. During our trip to Tuesday Morning this past weekend, we found 100% Bamboo sheets. Even though we felt like we were totally cheating on our tried-and-true 100% cotton bedding, we thought it would be fun to try something different in the guest room. Some of you reading this might be thinking, “Um, bamboo sheets have been around forever.” I guess maybe we’ve been too stuck in 100% Cotton Land to notice them. Even though we didn’t know too much — actually, anything — about bamboo sheets, we decided to go ahead and put them in our shopping basket. After all, the discount was pretty awesome (the duvet set was originally $300, on sale for $89.99 and the sheets were originally $325, marked down to $89.99).

When we opened up the packages, we realized that bamboo sheets are really soft and almost silk-like. We decided to turn to Google for answers our bamboo curiosities. Here are the facts:

• Bamboo textiles are made from Moso bamboo — not the same kind pandas like to chow down on.
  • Bamboo is Earth-friendly and 100% biodegradable.
  • Because bamboo is comprised of fibers with lots of little holes and gaps, it’s really, really good at pulling moisture away from anything it comes in contact with. When bamboo is made into fabric form, it wicks moisture away from your skin, which keeps you cool and dry.
  • Dust mite resistant.
  • UV Rays don’t get through Bamboo. Only .06% of UV rays get through Bamboo fabric. Cotton lets 25% through.  That’s not really all that important for sheets, but apparently bamboo shirts are pretty awesome!

• Bamboo yarn is very, very fine.  Thus thread counts for bamboo vs. cotton aren’t exactly apples-to-apples.  If you have a sheet with a 250 thread count construction, it’s equal to the softness of a 1000 thread count fine cotton sheet.
  • Bamboo stays 2 to 3 degrees cooler than cotton.
  • Bamboo fibers are naturally anti-bacterial and contain an agent, called ‘”bamboo kunh” which prevents bacteria from cultivating. They also resist odor and stay fresh longer.

Once we washed the sheets, and put them on the bed, we were amazed at how soft they were (even softer than before they were washed). Like, silk, cashmere kind of soft! We’re anxious to hear the feedback from Ashley’s grandparents as to how they sleep.

Do you own bamboo sheets? Share your bamboo experience with us in the comments section…

Bamboo photo found here.

Shannon
    March 16, 2011 at 3:53 pm

We have bamboo/rayon sheets and we love them but i need to try out the 100% bamboo sheets. Maybe i need to take a trip to Tuesday Morning too!

A.J.
      March 16, 2011 at 5:23 pm

That’s one thing I need clarified…everything I’ve seen online is “rayon from bamboo.” Is that different from 100% bamboo? The comment about dust mites sold me. I’m highly allergic to like, the earth…so I’m hunting these sheets down like it’s my job.

Also…first-time commenter, recently started reading the blog. Hi! 🙂

March 16, 2011 at 6:18 pm

Hi, A.J.! As far as we know, there is a difference between Rayon from Bamboo and 100% Bamboo. To make sure the sheets are completely natural, antibacterial, dust mite free, etc; make sure the label says 100% bamboo. Hope that helps!

erica p.
    March 16, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Wow, bamboo sheets sound amazing! I think you sold me on trying some 🙂

Emily
    March 16, 2011 at 3:58 pm

I love the bedding preview! Where did you get the yellow and gray comforter or is it a quilt? You only show a sliver of it but I’m loving that color combo right now and I must have it. 🙂

dana828
    March 16, 2011 at 4:24 pm

I just bought that same yellow & gray coverlet! I will be repainting our master bedroom some as-yet-undetermined light gray color, and am so excited to break out the new bedding! I can’t wait to see how your room turns out. Love the lamp you found, too!

I’ll have to check out bamboo sheets…

laur
    March 16, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Emily – i think it is from Target – i looked at purchasing it too!!

Staci
    March 16, 2011 at 4:48 pm

I got 100% bamboo sheets from Target over a year ago and they are absolutely incredible. They are the only sheets I have, so I wash/dry/put them back on immediately, and I am impressed at how they’ve held up for 365+ days. The thread count thing is something to be noted, because the ones I got aren’t expensive at all, but feel much more high quality!!!
    I’m totally a convert.

Laragh Dooley
    March 16, 2011 at 5:00 pm

I’ve never tried bamboo sheets, but I totally share your love for 100% cotton sheets.

Aimee
    March 16, 2011 at 9:09 pm

We love bamboo sheets. I got some from Amazon that have nice deep pockets, and they are the softest sheets we have ever felt. So nice! I hope you get some. 🙂

Brittany
    March 17, 2011 at 9:05 am

My husband and I have some bamboo sheets and they are dreamy to sleep on. I can tell a big difference from when we sleep on them and then change the sheets waiting to wash the others. We got ours at target and I am definitely looking to get some more.

Caroline @ Between Your Ears
    March 17, 2011 at 10:24 am

I have Bamboo sheets from Target, and I L-O-V-E them! They are incredibly soft, and I sleep wonderfully in them. I have noticed, however, that the same tiny little fuzz balls that appear on sweaters have appeared in mini-form on my sheets. Anyone know why that is? Maybe because my sheets are the Target brand?

Mitzi
      June 4, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Can you tell me if 100% bamboo sheets are wrinkle free?

Thanks,
      Mitzi

June 5, 2012 at 10:48 am

The package says they are, but they aren’t. If you put them on the bed RIGHT when you get them out of the dryer (like, literally run to the bed, haha!), you’ll have a better chance of no-wrinkles. You can smooth them out by hand here and there and that helps too.

Lauren @ Hungry Child in the City
    March 17, 2011 at 10:24 am

I don’t have bamboo sheets, but a co-worker of mine does and she RAVES about them. Maybe it’s worth the investment? With bamboo being such a great resource that never stops giving, I think I would be willing to invest in some bamboo products. We are thinking about re-doing our floors and we would use bamboo for that too.

Sara O
    March 17, 2011 at 1:11 pm

We have bamboo sheets on our bed at the moment too. They are super soft, but we also get the pilling effect on the mattress cover below, plus the color seems to rub off onto the mattress cover as well (they are purple sheets). The mattress cover color doesn’t show through our white sheets or anything, just seems like the bamboo sheds the dye…Nothing I’d change up the bamboo for, just different from the cotton.

Mee
    March 18, 2011 at 11:59 pm

These sound fabulous, but at $325, marked down to $89.99, they are a little bit on the pricey side for my budget. I will put them on my wish list!

Angela
    March 19, 2011 at 10:11 am

I have bamboo sheets, and I LOVE them!!! I don’t think I’d ever buy any other kind of sheets. 🙂

Leslie's Day
    March 21, 2011 at 10:50 am

Thank you so much for this post! I showed my husband all the benefits, and he jumped at the idea of trying them. I bought a set at Tues. Morning and we have been sleeping on them for a few nights and LOVE them! Softer than our 100% cotton sheets (and about the same price -$80- that I paid for the cotton ones) and it does seem to breath a lot better! Another perk of the particular set I picked up was the generous size, they don’t come untucked like our cotton sheets:)

March 21, 2011 at 11:36 am

Yay! So glad we could help, haha 🙂 I think we’re going to have to snag some for the master bedroom too!

Bamboo Sheets | Leslie's Day
    March 21, 2011 at 11:18 am

[…] ClosetGuest BedroomGuest BathroomOfficeLaundry Room« 5 ThingsBamboo SheetsAfter reading this post, I talked to Bradley about the seemingly wonderful traits of 100% bamboo sheets.  All it took was […]

Staci @ My Friend Staci
    September 28, 2011 at 11:45 am

Last March I wrote here raving about my bamboo sheets from Target, I just want to update for posterity that by the time September rolled around (for those of you keeping track, they had been used on a daily basis for about 18 months) they were getting pretty threadbare in places. Just saying. For people thinking about going the Target route, I’d say buy 2 sets and rotate them for prolonged life!

joanne
    February 2, 2012 at 8:09 pm

I love my bamboo sheets, I also got from Tuesday Morning. I just went back to get another color and i cant find them 🙁 They are so awesome that although i have others I wash them and put them right back on!!

Raye Tiedemann
    September 22, 2013 at 5:54 pm

If you run across these sheets at Tuesday Morning don’t think twice they are amazing I have been buying these for a few years and have a backup. They are so soft and they you will love them.