In the spirit of April Fools Day, rather than trying to trick all of our readers into believing something that’s untrue, we thought we’d turn our usual “Favorite Things” post on its ear and talk about some of our pet peeves and love/hate relationships.
1. Junk Mail. Let’s face it–virtually nothing good comes in the mail. Unless you receive an above-average number of letters, magazines, cards or paychecks, snail mail is quite a downer. Why is it that every company on the face of the planet sees fit to make my job of sorting the mail even more of a chore? I’d rather just pick out the good stuff and assume the rest is bills.
2. Power Outages. Just like most negative coincidences (car won’t start, computer crashes, etc.), power outages tend to happen at the most inopportune times. On Wednesday, I had a ton of work to get done, and the power went out. Of course, leave it to me to try to make the best of the situation by taking a few minutes to play my guitar. The only problem was I had unplugged everything a lot of stuff around the house (because of the lightning) that would have given me a clue as to whether the power was back on or not. About 30 minutes after the power came back on, Ashley asked me to tweak a few things on the blog. Only then did I realize everything was back on and working, and had been for some time. Yeah. I hate power outages.
3. Organizations without websites. In this day in age, if you don’t have a website, you don’t exist. Every company and organization worth its salt should have at least a “business card website” with current contact information.
4. “Free to Play” iPhone/Android Games. Also known as “freemium” games. Maybe I’m a little too “old school” when it comes to this sort of thing, but I’d much rather pay for a game (or an app) one time and be done with it. That being said, some of these games are an absolutely terrific waste of time (in a good way), and I can’t put them down. They make you want to buy all the cool little perks that other people have spent real money on. The next thing you know, you’ve spent $20 on an iPhone/Android game that was “free” when you first downloaded it.
5. PetSmart’s Martha Stewart Pets Line. As much as our little puppy is like a son to us, he’s also a dog. I seriously doubt he knows the difference between a regular dog toy and one from the Martha Stewart Pets Line at PetSmart. But the thing is… Ashley does. Now, Martha Stewart is A-Okay in my book and her pet products are pretty awesome. But it’s the abundance of them around the Brown household these days that brings them to my list. Bentley really doesn’t need a crocheted squirrel toy when he already has the pig and elephant, a “Martha Stewart Blue” tennis ball when he has regular Wilson-brand ones already or a THIRD dog bed… just because Martha Stewart designed it. Just sayin’. But Ashley is certain it makes Bentley happy. ; )
6. Monster Energy Drinks. I know they’re not good for me, but they’re an absolutely terrific solution to a constant problem – working late nights. Sometimes a cup of coffee (oh, how I love coffee) just isn’t what you want, and these absolutely fill the need for just another hour or two of clarity before it’s time to hang it up for the night.
Here’s Ash to share her not-so favorite things…
1. Spam. No, not the “Substance Posing As Meat” as Greg calls it. Spam e-mail and (to a greater extent) spam comments are the bane of my existence. We can filter as much as we want, but those pesky spam comments still make their way into our queue. Since Greg is at work during the day, I’m the one on “comment approval duty”. With hundreds of spam comments each day, it gets just plain annoying. The alternative is making you guys type out the little squiggly letters every time you post but we don’t want to annoy our readers. We love you guys too much!
2. Dirty Laundry. It never seems to end! And there are only two of us! So, what’s the deal?! Even though I loathe dirty laundry, I ADORE the feeling when it’s all washed, dried, folded and put away. It’s the best feeling ever… though it doesn’t last long enough.
3. Nestlé’s Nips. We don’t have candy around the house all that often — except for the occasional box of Nips. You can get them at the drug store for only $1 a box. It’s like a piece of carmel heaven that’s hard but chewy at the same time. They have to be terrible for your teeth. My favorite flavor? It’s a tie between Dulce de Leche and Chocolate Parfait. I absolutely have a love/hate relationship with Nips.
4. Wrapping Paper. Another thing I have a love/hate relationship with is wrapping paper. I love it so much and tend to buy it way too often. In return, I’m running out of room. Hence the “hate” part of our relationship because I like a place for everything and everything in its place. I eventually want to have a “wrapping station” somewhere in the house. That would be heavenly.
5. Not having a kitchen. Simply put, I’ve moved past the I-miss-having-a-fully-sized-fridge stage and on to the I-just-want-to-cook-a-good-dinner stage. We know we’ll be super happy in the long run, but I really miss our Rachael Ray cookware.
6. Tiny Wings. Let me preface this by saying I’m not very coordinated when it comes to video games. I’ve never been much of a “gamer”, except for a minor obsession with Mario Kart Wii. As my little brother says, I’m a Mario Kart beast. Greg’s always been good at video games, and I give him a run for his money from time to time. I downloaded Tiny Wings on my iPhone a few weeks ago because it was the top paid app, only $0.99, and I thought I would give it a try. Well, I gave it one try, then another… and another. I actually ended up playing this game quite a bit, but I CANNOT get past Island 6! Which is why it made its way onto my list of not-so favorite things.
And that’s it for our topsy-turvy April Fools’ day “Favorite Things”! Do you have any not-so favorite things to add to the list?