Hall Bathroom Shopping + Thrifting

We are well overdue for a hall bathroom update, aren’t we? It’s not “finished” yet but it’s getting a little closer. Last time we talked about the hall bath, it looked like this…

The day we closed on the house, it looked something like this…

Yuck! Back to the present…

We’re not ready for the full on “reveal” yet, but we’re going to show you a few of the recent details that have been added.

The faucets (finally) came in and we love them! We went with a 8″ spread faucet because we felt it fit the sink size better. We first fell in love with Delta’s Dryden Faucet when we came across it at one of our local hardware store chains. It was priced at a whopping $430 each. After a little shopping around, we were able to find it online here for $268. Yay for deals!

I love large pieces in small spaces, so it comes as no surprise that I love the large mirrors we got for our bathroom because they make the space look substantially bigger. We totally lucked out at Target when we found the perfect mirrors for only $55 each! That’s a fantastic deal for large mirrors like these. Score!

The addition of the mirrors makes a huge difference, and the bathroom looks much larger and more finished. The thick espresso frames tie in with the vanity and are a great contrast against the white Silestone countertop. We haven’t decided whether to hang them on the wall or not. At the moment they are just sitting on the countertop. We kind of like it like this because it brings in a certain laid back / casual feel to the space. On the other hand, it might look a little more “finished” if we were to hang them two or three inches off the countertop. Either way, they need to be secured somehow, so we’re going to live with it like this for a few days before we decide where to drill the holes in the tile.

As for the accessories, we’re getting there. There’s a few pretty pieces on the counter but we’re just playing around with them at the moment. It’s a pretty large area between the two sinks, but we don’t want to clutter up the space just because we can. There needs to be enough “working” counter space for hair straighteners, makeup, toiletries, etc.

We lived with the bare light bulbs in the wall for too long and it was time for some “real” light fixtures. After what seemed like an eternity of fixture-shopping and Googling, we finally decided to go to the “Lighting Bar” at Lowe’s. Well, that’s what I call it anyway. It’s the section where you pick out the rod and the globes to create your own light fixture combination. Pretty cool, right?

We liked these particular rods because they were pretty streamline without being too modern or “fussy”. After going back and forth between a few globe options, we finally settled on the simple waffle textured globes. After we installed the fixtures, we realized the glass’s texture actually mimics the white waffle shower curtain (which you can see a glimpse of in the photo above).

Overall, the bathroom seems very long, especially with all of the tile. Therefore, we decided to put down a mat in front of each sink to break up the tile on the floor. After a lot of scouting, we finally found a winner…

Simply put, I love these bath mats from West Elm. The zig zag pattern brings in a little causal fun and personality into a room that might be a bit sterile otherwise. It also mirrors the light/dark contrast going on with the countertop, cabinets and mirrors.

Slowly by surely, the bathroom is coming together quite nicely. After a few more decisions here and there, we’ll have a complete bathroom that’s not only functional but easy on the eyes as well.

April 4, 2011 at 12:55 pm

I love what you are doing! The bathroom is going to look amazing!! I’ve been eyeing those West Elm mats for a few weeks now. They look a lot better in “person” (on here) than on their website. You can see the design more I guess. I think I’m going to pick up a few as well. The hard part is choosing a color!

Bobi Lawrence
    April 4, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Beautiful, just beautiful!

Marianne Hughes
    April 4, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Ban Clothing
    April 4, 2011 at 1:07 pm

The tile all the way up the walls makes the bathroom feel SO luxurious. It also looks… cough, expensive.

Shelley Klein
    April 4, 2011 at 1:07 pm

I love the spa feel of this bathroom. Clean lines and not overdone. Great job!

April 4, 2011 at 1:14 pm

I really love everything about this bathroom. The Target mirrors were an incredible find! Big statement…small price. LOVE IT!

Hilary @ My So-Called Home
    April 4, 2011 at 1:24 pm

I adore that bath mat from West Elm and considered it when we updated our lil bathroom, but decided it wasn’t the right fit. Can’t wait to see the room all put together.

Stephanie B.
    April 4, 2011 at 1:37 pm

AAAHHH!! I just installed the same faucet in my master bathroom yesterday… I’m in love with it! Your whole bathroom is gorgeous. Love the way it’s coming together!

April 4, 2011 at 1:39 pm

karen @ our slo house
    April 4, 2011 at 1:57 pm

It looks like a spa. It’s beautiful!

Abercrombie Wife
    April 4, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Love the progress and the mirrors are perfect. I love the look of them jsut sitting on the counter, but what about messy handwashers. Are you worried about water on the counter ruining the frame?

Love Love Love it all!

April 4, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Yeah, very true! The frames are made from Polystyrene (kind of like a hard, plastic material) and won’t be damaged easily by water (though still leave water spots, I’m sure). They totally look like wood though… we didn’t even notice until we looked at the packaging when we got home. But that’s definitely a factor we’ve been wondering about as well.

April 4, 2011 at 2:56 pm

beautiful! That faucet is amazing!

April 4, 2011 at 3:06 pm

It looks fantastic! Everything is so crisp looking. Can’t wait to see it accessorized.

April 4, 2011 at 4:56 pm

Job so very well done!

Geena Kreil
    April 4, 2011 at 5:06 pm

I love the uncluttered, spa-like look of this bathroom. Very beautiful and inviting. When you accessorize, it shouldn’t need very much.

Melissa Breau
    April 4, 2011 at 7:16 pm

I love the faucet although that price tag is killer… and I actually really like the mirrors sitting on the counter. They look classy and fun. And I think it really creates a vertical line that starts at the counter. I think it would break up the wall more if you drilled and mounted them….

April Moss
    April 4, 2011 at 9:29 pm

I’m really loving what you’ve done so far. It doesn’t even look like the same house!!!

Christine B
    April 4, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Looks lovely! I esp. love the counter top. And I had no idea Lowes has a ‘lighting bar’. I am soo excited because we are planning on doing a major bath renovation and it is so hard to fight good lighting. Thanks for the tip!

April 5, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Wow, it looks great!

April 5, 2011 at 1:28 pm

We’ve been looking for faucets for months and haven’t been able to find anything my husband and I can agree on. But we are both loving these and I think I’m going to place the order tonight! Thanks for sharing!!!

April 5, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Went back in your archives to get the 411 on the tile. I love everything about the bath, but especially the tile work. Currently flipping a home in Southern CA. Have previously flipped several and usually stick with my basic picks, but think I may go this route for something different. Enjoying your posts.

April 5, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Wow, it looks terrific! I love it.

April 6, 2011 at 12:35 pm

What a great bath! I love how it’s totally up to date but somehow completely classic at the same time. You are really talented!

April 6, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Great work on the bathroom! Could you tell me the name of the tile you used?

April 6, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Thank you! We’re anxious to get it DONE! The tile is Sabbia Dorato by American Olean.

March 27, 2013 at 6:08 pm

I need to redo both of my bathrooms to resale my house, LOVE the tile work, can you tell me where you got the tile and what its called?

March 27, 2013 at 7:10 pm

We purchased the tile at a local tile shop here in Richmond, Morris Tile. The tile we used is Sabbia Dorato by American Olean. Happy renovating!

March 27, 2013 at 6:15 pm

Sorry I forgot to ask what size is the tile, can you be specific about the tile you used, did you guys do it yourself or hire someone? I have no idea where to start looking for someone to do the tile work, any tips for that process you can share?

Thanks again,

March 27, 2013 at 7:13 pm

We used 12×12 on the floors and 10×14 on the walls.Oh and just in case, the grout is by Laticrete and the color is Marble Beige. Since there was so much tiling to be done in this space, we hired a “tile guy” that came recommended to us by a family member who used him on their bathroom project. Referrals from friends and family are always a good resource for finding a good contractor. You can also check Angie’s List for a small fee. Hop that helps!

March 27, 2013 at 8:05 pm

That helps so much, I’ve never renovated anything before so it has been daunting just even knowing where to begin. We need to update the kitchen and bathrooms before selling to move closer to our daughter and our first grand baby. So exciting!
    Did you put the cabinet and counter top in before tiling and where did you find the cabinet, also so nice.

Thanks again, Judy

March 28, 2013 at 9:45 am

That sounds like so much fun! And congrats on your new grand baby!
      For us, the tile was put down before the vanity. We designed the vanity at Lowe’s. We talk more about that in this post. Hope that helps!

May 8, 2014 at 12:54 am

Beautiful!! Everything… I cant wait to look through this entire blog. For now, do you have any more details on the bathroom lighting? Name of the bar?

May 8, 2014 at 11:30 am

Thank you! Unfortunately, I can’t remember the exact name of the bar we purchased – just that it was from Lowe’s. Hope you find it!