Inspiration Living Room

Lately, our schedules have been crazy. Like, crazy, kinds of crazy. So last night Greg and I decided to take a night to decompress and unwind. After our sushi takeout, I settled in for a few episodes of Cupcake Wars while Greg sat beside me reading a book. Come to think of it, I don’t know how he was able to read with all of that yelling. Yes, I have a tendency to yell at the TV when watching Cupcake Wars. It’s intense.

During one of the commercial breaks, I started looking around the room…

Sometimes just looking around a room can end up turning in to something bigger. I get it from my mom. One day, she got an idea and my dad came home from work to find her chiseling off the hearth of their brick fire place. In this case, I didn’t do anything crazy, but I came to five conclusions:Β 1) The living room desperately needs color. 2) I want to ditch the pillows for new ones with a graphic pattern of some sort. 3) It needs an area rug to help define the space. 4) Down the road, new furniture would be nice and help bring home the style we’re going for.Β 5)Β We’ve got the large brick fire place but the room could use some more texture. That’s when my mind got sidtracked with texture…

A planked feature wall. Not too “country” and not too “cottage”. Maybe not in this room, but in general, I love the idea. I pulled out my iPhone and began to search for some photos. Here are some of my favorites:

I have no idea when, if, or how we will use this idea in our house. Regardless, I’m loving it (Greg’s warming up to the idea) and it doesn’t hurt to look at some eye candy, right?

Inspiration photos found here, here, here, here, here, here, and here.

Lalya S
    April 20, 2011 at 5:46 pm

I LOVE the idea of planked walls. Like you said, not too cottage/country but with a modern flair, it would be perfect! Kind of like “Rustic glam”!

Sara Bowery
    April 20, 2011 at 5:55 pm

My favorite planks are the Ace Hotel and the nursery photo. I think I may have a new favorite design element. Who knew!

Tanya at Necessary Pleasures Blog
    April 20, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Your mom sounds like my mom! When I was growing up it wasn’t uncommon to come home from a soccer tournament to find that Mom had pulled the kitchen cabinets off the wall, turned ’em into an island, and was ripping up drywall to make recessed displays. And often using a meat tenderizer as a hammer!

It’s a great gene to inherit, though it scared my husband for many years. When we moved into our new-to-us house (the 4 year renovation that won’t end!) he hid my reciprocating saw for fear I’d rip through the floor with it (we have a huge basement with NO internal access stairwell – really odd!)

Anyway – go with it! I love the planked walls. Particularly partial to photo #1, though dunno if it’d get old too fast.

misty @ Not An Empty Room
    April 20, 2011 at 8:49 pm

My husband has finally gotten used to the fact that when he goes out, he may come home to an entirely different house. Some of us just can’t help it I guess.

I love the planked walls, and its a good thing too since half of our walls in our super old house are simply half inch thick boards…vertical, not horizontal.

The last pic looks the most modern to me. Also the dining room pic. But that first pic is too cool. Love it.

April 20, 2011 at 11:18 pm

First of all, I LOVE the idea of plank walls. I have been looking for a way to use them in my own house. Unfortunately, I do not have a fireplace. πŸ™ Second of all, I just wanted to let you know how much I look forward to your blog. I find myself waking up each morning, excited to see what you have for us. Your ideas, tastes, and quick wit have capture me quickly, and I just wanted to commend you on your efforts. Keep up the good work!

PS Your new side tables are to die for!!

Patti Jarvis
    April 21, 2011 at 12:37 am

I too look forward to your blog each day!

April 21, 2011 at 9:17 am

I love that look, I just never new what it was really called or how you make it or anything. I LOVE that you included an inspirational photo from BowerPower! The first pic you listed and the BowerPoer ones are my faves. How do you even start? I think it would look great in your living room. The TV wall, or surrounding the fireplace? Anyway, very very cool idea. πŸ™‚

April 21, 2011 at 9:18 am

LOVE your inspiration photos! Added them to my Pintrest!! ( :

April 21, 2011 at 10:06 am

Thank you! With the help of one of my blogging friends (Rebecca), I Just started using Pintrest last night. All I can say is… addicted!!

April Moss
    April 21, 2011 at 12:05 pm

I’ve been seeing this idea in catalogs for a few months and I LOVE it! Some may say it’s kind of faddish but the neat thing is that you can easily remove it if it’s put up properly. I think this would look great on your TV wall!

Christine B
    April 21, 2011 at 7:06 pm

My hubby and I did something similar to this in our home office and can’t wait to do this in our bedroom! Love the photos!

macy dawn
    May 31, 2011 at 2:20 pm

I LOVE the prints poster framed near your living room. Did you make it?

May 31, 2011 at 5:08 pm

It’s actually a thick painted wood sign. We bought it from Pottery Barn a few years back and they don’t carry it anymore. It’s such a shame because it’s an awesome piece and we get comments about it ALL of the time! : )