Guest Bedroom

READY OR NOT… THEY’RE HERE!

We’re back with a guest room update! Actually, we’d like to call this the “Oh My Goodness! They’re Here!” update. For those of you that don’t know, a month or so ago, we found out my grandparent’s were coming to visit us from Tampa and would be staying with us for two weeks! We were really excited about the news. Not only do we love having them around, but they would also be our very first overnight guests in our first house! The only problem: the room looked like this:

A few weeks later, after moving everything out (some of the stuff went to the attic and some went to the “future yard sale pile” in our outdoor storage space), and totally lucking out at IKEA, it looked like this:

A few short weeks (which seemed like just days) later, here’s what the guest room looked like when they walked in the door…

Okay, so it’s not “finished” by any means. However, it looks a lot better than it did a few weeks ago, right? Let’s break down what we have going on so far…

Since we were on a time crunch and the room desperately needed some color, we snagged this throw pillow and quilt at Target. I’m not completely sold on the yellow accents paired with the “Martha Stewart Blue” walls, but it seems to work for now and the bright colors bring some Spring indoors.

I love the rosette pillow so much that I’m slightly tempted to re-paint the walls a “barely there gray” to make this room strictly a gray and yellow color scheme, but that’s just my crazy impulses talking. As I type, Greg is leaning over my shoulder saying, “There’s no way we are painting that room again already…”. Moving on, I guess.

What’s cool about the “base” of the bedding is that everything is “neutral” (gray & white). This way, if we want to change out the yellow accent scheme down the road and switch it up, it will be super easy.

You may notice our lack of lovely artwork. We’re anxiously awaiting the delivery of three black and white photography prints from our printer. Hopefully they will show up soon! I could have printed them myself, but the frames call for an 11×14 print and our printer is an old fashioned, standard 8.5 x 11.

We haven’t hung the mirror yet due to the fact we are side table-less. The size of the side tables may determine the placement of the dresser. So until we find side tables, it’s just leaning against the wall. And yes, the cardboard corners are still on the mirror. Klassy, right? We started to take them off, but then realized since it’s just leaning against the wall, the mirror might slide right off the dresser without them. So yes, rest assured, it’s just temporary.

Ohh.. the lamp (read more about that find here). I love that lamp. The original plan was to find a second one and put them on night stands on either side of the bed. Since we are currently night stand-less, it’s sitting on the dresser. However, it looks like it’s going to be finding a new home in the house. I called 13, yes you read that right… THIRTEEN Home Goods stores describing the lamp and giving them the SKU number in hopes of finding a matching one within driving distance — even as far away as South Carolina. I know that may be a bit insane but when I get on a roll, I have a hard time stopping. Sadly, I have resolved myself to the fact that we’re probably not going to find its mate. For now, its serving its purpose (lighting a room) in the guest room until we find another option. As for that option…Β I’m thinking sconces. Kind of like these

Even though this room isn’t “finished”, we thought we’d still give you a mini-source list to answer any of your “Where did you get that?” questions…

Mini Source List: Paint color: Martha Stewart’s Artesian Well // Bed: IKEA // Mirror: Target //Β Dresser:Β IKEA // Lamp: Home Goods // Sheets & Duvet: Tuesday Morning // Gray Quilt: Target // Large Gray Pillows: Target // Rosette Throw Pillow: Target // Blue Throw Pillows: the long lost Nate Burkus Collection at LNT // Yellow + Gray Quilt: Target // Frames above bed: Target // Ceramic Metallic Pear: ZGallerie (no longer available, boo!)

Once the room is a little more on the “finished” side, we’ll be sure to post a complete source list as well as a budget breakdown. Now off to continue my search for side tables…

Courtney McWilliams
    April 13, 2011 at 11:08 am

I really like what you’ve got so far! They yellow accents are a nice touch without being too overwhelming. Can’t wait to see it finished!

Michelle L
    April 13, 2011 at 11:09 am

I’ve had my eye on that rosette pillow from Target for WEEKS!!! I just don’t know where to use it. Great job on the room thus far! I’m sure your Grandparents will really enjoy it!

Kendra G
    April 13, 2011 at 11:10 am

I really love where you’re going with this…can’t wait to see it when it’s finished!

April Moss
    April 13, 2011 at 11:15 am

I have that pear from ZGallerie! I have it in my kitchen, but it looks really cute in a bedroom too!

Kerri - McConnell's McRenovation
    April 13, 2011 at 11:17 am

Sometimes you can type the sku number into google and it will come back with results of where to buy it… just a thought…

love where the room is going.

Juanita Mendes
    April 13, 2011 at 11:18 am

It looks very inviting and relaxing. I think the blue walls are perfect for a guest room! My guest room is painted green and I’m really wanting to change them to blue. My coverlet is green too so it feels overpowering and not restful:(. I hear Target calling my name!

Geena
    April 13, 2011 at 11:22 am

Smart idea to go ahead and hang your frames before the pictures came in. I wouldn’t have thought of that.

Melissa
    April 13, 2011 at 11:23 am

I almost want to see wall mounted side tables … like a floating shelf look. Something super minimal. What designs have you been looking at/considering?

April 13, 2011 at 12:35 pm

At this point, everything we’ve found has been on the short side, so mounted side tables sounds like a possibility! Great idea! We don’t have a specific design in mind, just something dark in color but not too “matchy-matchy” against the dresser.

Brittney
    April 13, 2011 at 11:23 am

Cute! We’re adding yellow to our master bedroom (we already have grey bedding). I’ll have to check out that cute yellow/grey blanket!

Barb
    April 13, 2011 at 11:24 am

Just want to say that I LOVE your blog!!
    I understand your obsession with finding that lamp. I must admit I even looked for you in my area….Newington, NH. No luck. A one of a kind.

Love your room and I think you really should paint it the gray you want. It won’t take long. You will have it done in a weekend. Send your husband on a fishing trip or whatever and with a bottle of wine and a girlfriend…paint away!!!

Good luck and I must admit I daily check your blog and love your decorating skills.

Barb

April 13, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Oh my goodness, that was so sweet of you to check for us! Thank you!
      I think I may have to think about the fishing trip solution, haha! πŸ™‚

Irene
    April 13, 2011 at 11:32 am

It looks lovely. Relazing and inviting.

Carrie
    April 13, 2011 at 11:34 am

I actually LOVE the yellow accents against the pale blue! I’m doing a similar color scheme in my living room =)

Your guest room looks beautiful so far!

April 13, 2011 at 12:29 pm

Fun! Thanks for the link! Off to check it out now πŸ™‚

Carrie
        April 19, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Just saw your reply!!! Hope you liked the link =)Can’t wait to see what you end up doing with your room!

Rebecca
    April 13, 2011 at 1:33 pm

I actually think the Martha Blue and the yellow/gray accents look great together! Makes the room look cheery without looking like a nursery. Sophisticated fun (as Missy Elliot would say – love her.)!

Carrisa
    April 13, 2011 at 3:20 pm

I have that same bedding in my master and my walls are a very similar color. We have great taste! I really love the sconces. I’m slowly re-doing my house one room at a time and I love finding blogs like yours to give me inspiration.

Krista of Hopeless Chest
    April 13, 2011 at 8:26 pm

ohhhhhhh. I love those lamps. But I promised I wouldn’t buy anything else for the new house until we actually moved in. But I found several similar options and bookmarked them. HAHAHAH http://www.litesplus.com had some really cute ones!

Kelly @ View Along the Way
    April 13, 2011 at 9:44 pm

*GASP!* It’s MY lamp! πŸ™‚

I think you and I have done the exact same thing! I bought that lamp at HomeGoods (on clearance!) Recognized it from Jonathan Adler. LOOOOVED it with all of my soul, but only needed it if I could find TWO. I called around a million places to find a pair and could not.

So, um, I just returned it. Are you in the Atlanta area by any chance? πŸ™‚

April 13, 2011 at 9:57 pm

Oh. My. Goodness! I wish I was in Atlanta! I would be high-tailing it to Home Goods!!
      Actually, I have friends there… which store was it? Haha!

Kelly @ View Along the Way
        April 14, 2011 at 1:13 pm

Kennesaw. πŸ™‚ I wish TJ Maxx/Homegoods would come up with some kind of system for tracking which items are in which stores! I once had to drive to three different locations to get all six of my dining room chairs.

Kelly @ View Along the Way
          April 26, 2011 at 8:57 am

I know this is old and you might not even see this comment, but…
          I blogged about my lil lamp saga here, so if yours ever gets lonely, it can stop by and look at pics. Ha! πŸ™‚

• Ashley
            April 26, 2011 at 10:09 am

Haha! Thanks for the link! …and for rubbing it in!!!!!! Only kidding πŸ™‚
            Isn’t that lamp amazing?! I still hope to stumble on another one some day. Wishful thinking at this point I’m afraid.

dana828
    April 13, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Looks great! I have that same bedding waiting in the wings, and just picked up my gray paint today–Winter Solstice by BM. Can’t wait to paint on Friday!

Jana Dern
    April 14, 2011 at 12:56 am

Love your combination of colors! Refreshing!

Lesley
    April 14, 2011 at 5:14 am

Great work on your guest room even in the supposed unfinished state! I can totally relate when you mentioned how you tried to call so many stores hoping to find something a very specific item that you’re obsessing on haha Excited to see how the room’s look develops πŸ™‚

Christin
    April 14, 2011 at 2:03 pm

It’s looking great! I love the bed and the dresser too. Question (you may have already answered this at some point), I’m curious what you think of the durability of the dresser and bed from Ikea. I realize this is a guest bedroom so clothing isn’t necessarily going to be stuffed in the drawers constantly and the bed won’t be slept in on a nightly basis. I’m just wondering if the drawers of the dresser can really hold up to daily use/abuse and if they really are extra roomy like the product description says. I’d love to hear your feedback/review of it!

April 14, 2011 at 2:14 pm

I had an IKEA bed and dresser when I moved off campus in college. The bed was actually very similar to the one in our guest room (just a different design) and held up very well. I later gave it to a family member and it STILL looks brand new! The dresser also held up a lot better than I thought it would (though I ended up selling it in a yard sale because we didn’t have a guest room in my & Greg’s first apartment). I had a few drawers that “sagged” but they were easily fixed with a little bit of reinforcement. If you are planning to purchase an IKEA dresser for everyday use, I would go ahead and reinforce the bottoms of the drawers as you put it together. As for the drawer size, yes! They are very roomy! Overall, with reasonable care, you should certainly get your money’s worth out of it. I hope that helps!

Christin
        April 15, 2011 at 9:28 am

Thanks so much! That is a big help. I always find stuff I love at Ikea, but I worry that they won’t last for a long haul of use because of how the pieces are constructed and how inexpensive everything is. Not that expensive = quality necessarily. Thanks again! And really love what you’re doing with your house!

Aj
    April 14, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Wow, this room looks great! I love the yellow accent pillows–very cute. Also, totally jealous of the white lamp. Great find!

Lindsay
    June 17, 2011 at 1:22 am

My husband and I just bought our first home and I am anxious to start decorating! I found your picture (the one above of the room) on pinterest and absolutely fell in love with it! I have been searching the internet for days trying to find out where I can get the accessories and I happen to stumble across your blog tonight! Thank you so much for listing your source list! Please post a pic once the room is complete! I love the color scheme!

Elz
    September 5, 2011 at 11:02 am

We are considering getting the same bed from Ikea, question though, do you have a box springs with yours? Will it fit one? We can’t tell from the ikea website! Thanks!

September 5, 2011 at 11:07 am

Yep, we used a low-profile box spring and it fits just fine πŸ™‚

molly
      March 7, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Do you also use the ikea slats with the box spring?

March 8, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Yep, they are under the box spring. We did that just to be safe, because there wasn’t much structure to the bed frame otherwise.

Kim
    October 12, 2011 at 12:25 pm

I know you said the wall color is “Martha Stewart Blue” but what is the actual color/maker? I’d love to put this on my walls!

Kim
      October 12, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Sorry… I see it now πŸ˜‰

Amy
    October 19, 2012 at 11:24 am

So…did you ever get those black and white prints?? I’m wondering what they were? Photos you took? Has this room changed much since you finished it for your Grandparents visit?

October 19, 2012 at 11:36 am

I did, but I didn’t really like the look of them, so, we’re back at square one. The photos were photos I took of the monuments downtown but it looked too traditional for the room. The room hasn’t changed much since – it’s been on the back burner with all of the other projects going on. Hopefully we’ll pick up where we left off soon.

Samantha
    November 8, 2012 at 10:04 am

Hi there, wondering where you got your bedding from??? I LOVE it! Please email me an let me know?:)

November 8, 2012 at 4:09 pm

We purchased it at Target last year. It’s a part of the Dwell Studio for Target collection.

Meghan
    December 8, 2012 at 3:00 am

Totally late to this post, and it probably doesn’t matter now that you have wall mounted bedside lamps, but I came across these similar Johnathan Adler lamp bases on Target’s website. They’re purple, but you could easily spray paint them, and they’re even cheaper than the one you found at HomeGoods!
    http://www.target.com/p/threshold-153purple-lamp-base-includes-cfl-bulb/-/A-14093235#prodSlot=medium_1_43&term=threshold lamp base

Alexa
    December 30, 2012 at 10:53 pm

I am in love with this bedroom, especially the bedding! I love all the colors and think its neutral enough for our master. Do you know if any of the pieces to your bedding are still available?!

December 31, 2012 at 9:23 am

Thanks! I don’t think it is, unless you happen to see it in the clearance section at your local Target. So many people have asked about it that I tend to keep my eye out for it. But no luck so far : (

Elena Paredes
    May 18, 2016 at 6:10 am

I know this is an old post but I was wondering if you could show/recomemend window dressing for this room. Thanks so much!

June 26, 2016 at 10:11 pm

You can never go wrong with a solid gray curtain with rooms with lots of pattern. I’d check West Elm or Bed Bath & Beyond.