DIY Decor Easy Upgrades Guest Bedroom Painting

A PRIME EXAMPLE

true value painted side tables

Since beginning our house renovations about a year ago, we’ve been in and out of many, many hardware stores, True Value being one of our favorite stops. Our local True Value has the feel of an old-fashioned hardware store but with all of the modern conveniences. It’s one of those places where “everybody knows everybody”, but they’re happy to get to know new people, too. Pretty much anyone who walks in knows the owner by name, everything is where you’d expect it to be, and the staff enjoys getting to know you and hearing about the projects you’ve planned for the weekend. All in all, True Value makes us happy. So when we got an email from True Value asking if we would like to test drive their new EasyCare Platinum Paint & Primer. We said, “Yes, please!”.

After a little bit of going back and forth, we finally decided on a lovely dark gray color, Forbidden (09D7) in semi-gloss. Now, I know what you’re thinking: “Well, what are you going to paint?” Normally, you pick out what you are going to paint then you pick out the paint color. However, in this case, we did things kind of backwards. We knew we wanted painted side tables for the guest room, and we knew what color we wanted. It was just a matter of finding the right side tables. After a few weeks of searching, we finally lucked out and found these two side tables at Home Goods:

They aren’t as large as we had hoped for – though now that we are planning on sconces rather than table lamps on either side of the bed, we don’t need anything very large – but they’re tall compared to everything else we had been finding, and we like that. The price wasn’t too shabby either. They were originally $200 a piece, but were marked down to $72. Score!

Immediately after opening the can, Greg said, “Wow, that’s good stuff!”. Since buying the house, we’ve primed and painted every single inch of the ceilings, walls, and trim of this 2,115 square foot house. That’s a lot of paint! At this point, we feel like we know a good quality paint when we see one and this was definitely one of them.

There are a lot of cool things about True Value’s Easy Care Platinum Paint & Primer including a lifetime warranty, it’s low VOC, and stain/mildew resistant. What really appealed to us even before we opened the can was that it is paint and primer all in one.

Let me go off on a tiny tangent here and say that we’re not a huge fan of two-in-one products most of the time. Take shampoo & conditioner combinations for example… it does the job, but the results aren’t nearly as good as using a good shampoo and a good conditioner, separately. Well, that was not the case with this paint. We were truly amazed by the coverage. Here’s what the table looked like after only one coat…

Yep… ONE. Greg and I think that’s pretty impressive, especially putting a dark color on top of a light color. The coverage was so awesome that we probably could have stopped there but we decided to go ahead and apply a second coat just for good measure.

While we were having fun with our new paint, Bentley was off in the corner, not very happy with the fact that we were painting rather than playing fetch. This is his “Are you done yet?” face:

Back to the project… We let the paint dry for a good 48 hours before we put the side tables in place, and we also changed out the wooden drawer pulls for something a little more sparkly:

A few books, a clock radio, a small silver frame, a candle-holder-turned-vase, and a few hydrangeas later and we’re in business!

We are really pleased with the finish of the EasyCare Platinum Paint & Primer. We can already tell the surface will be very durable and have great washability. The rich gray color is absolutely yummy. I wonder if True Value would be interested in making nail polish… ; )

In the frame is one of my favorite photos from back in the day of me and my Grandma blowing bubbles. We plan on using some more old family photos around the room in the future and we thought this would be a great place to start.

With the help of our friends at True Value, these side tables have undergone a big transformation and we’ve added a new favorite product to our list in the process. It’s amazing how just a few coats of paint can totally transform a piece of furniture.

Now how about that nail polish? ; )

Holly
    April 18, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Love the table! I love that color and the glass knobs look great against it.

Lorie
    April 18, 2011 at 12:46 pm

LOVE the color you picked! I never would have thought of that color.

Marilyn S
    April 18, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Beautiful.

Jessica Singletary
    April 18, 2011 at 12:49 pm

They look awesome! I love the color. What a major score to find two just alike and marked down!

Laura
    April 18, 2011 at 1:13 pm

Love the nightstands! That color is amazing!! I also like the little bit of your bedding in the grey/yellow that we can see. Where did you find it?

April 18, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Thank you! The bedding is actually from a few different places but check out the source list on this post (http://bit.ly/eRKCJv) for the 411. Hope that helps!

dena
      May 8, 2011 at 1:00 am

i have that bedding you are asking about and i got it at target! i know they still have it. Dwell Studio designed it. good luck!

Lisa M
    April 18, 2011 at 1:35 pm

I have the same feelings about True Value. It really does give you a more personal feeling than Lowe’s or Home Depot does. We love our store and they always have everything we need for our home improvement projects.

Your side tables look great!!

Carrie
    April 18, 2011 at 1:49 pm

OMG! I love it!!! The tables look so much richer =) That’s one awesome clock too…Jealous!

Amanda
    April 18, 2011 at 1:51 pm

Oh that colour is gorgeous. I’d love to know where you purchased the pulls from.

April 18, 2011 at 2:01 pm

We bought them at True Value for only $4 a piece!

Rachel P
    April 18, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Love it! Did you apply the primer with a brush? I did a similar thing to an old Ikea side table, but the brush strokes are rather evident. Also – I had to use a water-based polyurethane to make it wipe easier and not “rub” on the books on top – does the primer cut that step out? I am contemplating using a small roller to see if that helps… thoughts? GREAT color, btw!

April 18, 2011 at 2:18 pm

When we first started painting the side tables, we noticed a lot of brush strokes so we changed out the brush for a softer one and that made a huge difference. So, the softer the brush, the better. As far as doing a top coat of polyurethane… in this particular case, we didn’t finish off with polly because we used a very durable, “washable”, semi-gloss paint. But this extra step won’t hurt if you use the right stuff.

Lori H
    April 18, 2011 at 2:12 pm

What a great product! I am filing this away for my next project. Thanks for sharing, and your tables are lovely!

Christin
    April 18, 2011 at 3:31 pm

While I have issues with paint and primer in one (it’s like saying paint and paint in one, to me) – the finished product of your side tables is gorgeous. Really love the color. And they go perfectly in that room. I’m inspired more and more to update some dated pieces of my own with just a couple coats of paint and some new hardware. Well done!!

NicoleS
    April 18, 2011 at 5:05 pm

I love love love what you did with the side tables. It makes me want to paint something. Anything! You picked out a great color too. 🙂

True Value is our go to place since we moved to our new place and we love it. Even more than Home Depot, Ace or Lowes!

Brittany M
    April 18, 2011 at 5:09 pm

I came across this post on Twitter (I follow True Value) and I’m so glad I did! I’m loving this project and it really inspires me to find a piece of furniture to redo.

Love your blog! Keep up the awesome work!!

SarahE
    April 18, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Very pretty!

Michelle Brant
    April 18, 2011 at 5:45 pm

i painted a table a couple of months ago. my table did not look as good as your side tables:( maybe I should have used a paint with a primer in it. i should have also used a different brush to I think. love your blog!

Irene
    April 18, 2011 at 6:30 pm

Lovely!

Suzie
    April 18, 2011 at 7:32 pm

What a yummy colour! Those bed side tables look fantastic. I am wanting to paint our bedside tables, feeling totally inspired now. Still need to descide on a colour.

Megan
    April 18, 2011 at 8:52 pm

LOVE IT!

laurenjanelle
    April 18, 2011 at 11:26 pm

They look so beautiful!

Kelly
    April 19, 2011 at 8:50 am

I LOVE IT! My favourite post of yours to date!

Kris Kline
    April 19, 2011 at 11:04 am

I am extremely taken with the color you choose. Very, very beautiful.

Diane P
    April 19, 2011 at 11:14 am

Love the tables and the photo is adorable:)

Hilary @ My So-Called Home
    April 19, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Those tables look stunning with that beautiful pewter color and the glass knobs, great job! The guest room has really come together, your guests are very lucky.

Brittany
    April 19, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Gorgeous!!! Love the dark grey!! Just found your blog today and it’s lovely!!

As for nail polish, Rescue Beauty Lounge has a gorgeous dark grey shade called Stormy. American Apparel also has a couple grey’s, but they might not be dark enough. Zoya also has Kelly, a deep bluey grey.

Necole
    April 19, 2011 at 4:44 pm

I have that bedspread, and I love it. I am buying another one for a spare. I want that pattern and those colors forever!

sarah
      September 14, 2012 at 1:39 pm

I was just wondering where that bedspread is from? Very pretty bedding combination.

sarah
      September 14, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Oh I just saw in a lower post that it’s from Target, nevermind! Thanks

Krista of Hopeless Chest
    April 19, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Love that color. I’m thinking of using a dark gray in our guest room. It’s a dark green already. Yuck.

The vignette on next to the bed looks fantastic with that clock and the other items. Very pretty.

Ivette
    April 19, 2011 at 10:02 pm

I <3 the way they came out, and the color combination in the room, its coming together so beautifully.

Kim
    April 20, 2011 at 9:47 am

The tables are beautiful and I’m in LOVE with the color. I’m not sure what I could paint in that shade, but I think I’m going to fins something.

Ruth Ann Anderson
      September 26, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Suggestion….Repaint some picture frames,some of those clear glass vases….paint an odd number for a neat grouping. I have read gray is the new white. RAA

Viv @ The Eclectic Life
    May 2, 2011 at 10:10 pm

GORGEOUS tutorial! I absolutely love the shape of the nightstand you chose and its legs are beautiful. Love the way you’ve designed your bedroom as well. My friend recently got that Swell duvet so I’m sending this post over to her ASAP!

Melissa
    May 13, 2011 at 10:12 am

I need to repaint some painted kitchen cabinets and am wondering if you would recommend using this product for that application?

May 13, 2011 at 11:15 am

Yes! It has great coverage and a fab finish. Just make sure to choose a semi gloss or high gloss finish for that type of project. Hope that helps!

The Secret to Creating a Beautiful Home (Even If It Wasn’t Born That Way)
    May 25, 2011 at 9:33 am

[…] from At Home with Country and 7th House on the Left} More Thoughts on […]

home » Blog Archive » The Secret to Creating a Beautiful Home (Even If It Wasn't Born …
    May 25, 2011 at 1:09 pm

[…] from At Home with Country and 7th House on a Left} More Thoughts on […]

Ange
    July 24, 2011 at 11:36 pm

Just found a picture of this room on pinterest and LOVE it! So I clicked on the link and here I am. You did an awesome job! Thanks for inspiring.

Jess
    August 11, 2011 at 9:13 pm

LOVE your guest room!

Quick question: I actually bought the same nightstands at my local Homegoods a while ago. I too am looking to repaint them and switch out the hardware, but I noticed the hardware doesn’t screw apart like other furniture I have. How did you guys remove the old knobs?

August 11, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Thanks! The knobs are attached by 5 little nails. We just grabbed each knob with pliers and rocked it back and forth until it came off – or snapped in half. Then we just pulled each of the little nails out and drilled the proper holes for the new knobs.

Good luck on your project! 🙂

Kris
    August 25, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Great color scheme! I love the wrought iron bed. Where is it from?

August 25, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Thank you! It’s from Ikea : )

Ashlee
    September 11, 2011 at 11:15 pm

I just came across this room on pinterest and am in LOVE with this wall paint color. Do you know what color you used? I love the whole room, you really have an eye for color combos!

September 12, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Thanks so much : ) The paint color is Artesian Well by Martha Stewart.

Anna
    September 24, 2011 at 4:59 pm

I LOVE that bedspread! Where did you find it??!!

September 24, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Thanks! I picked it up at Target. It’s a part of the Dwell Studio collection.

Juliet
    October 31, 2011 at 8:43 pm

Did you sand/scuff it at all before you painted?

October 31, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Nope! Just painted away. And they’ve held up really well!

Emily
    February 12, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Where is the comforter with the blue/yellow/grey from? I love it.

February 13, 2012 at 8:43 am

Thanks! It’s from the Dwell Studio line at Target.

Kim
    March 24, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Hi there!

I have a random question:) what is the name of the teal/blue wall paint? I love that wall color with the grey/yellow bedding. Gorgeous

Thanks!
    !

March 24, 2012 at 10:22 pm

Thanks! It’s Martha Stewart’s Artesian Well (found at Home Depot).

Kelley
    June 11, 2012 at 3:03 pm

What color did you use on your walls? I’ve been trying to find a color like it for over a month and just can’t do it, its the perfect blue.

June 12, 2012 at 3:58 am

Thanks! It’s Martha Stewart’s Artesian Well : )

Vidya @ Whats Ur Home Story
    June 19, 2012 at 3:48 pm

That is the perfect blue for a bedroom! Love how it goes with the yellow.

Katie
    July 14, 2012 at 7:26 pm

I know this was posted quite some time ago, but where is that bedding from?? Been trying to find something similar- absolutely love it!!

July 15, 2012 at 5:51 am

It’s from Target… Though I’m not sure if they carry it anymore. But you might find it in the clearance section. Hope that helps’

Dawn
    January 5, 2013 at 4:06 pm

What is the name of that color you used on the night stands? It is a great color!

January 5, 2013 at 5:24 pm

It’s Forbidden (09D7) in semi-gloss. Happy painting!

Becky
    January 10, 2013 at 1:30 pm

I see you said the bedding was from Target. I don’t see it on their website anymore. Could you tell me the brand or pattern name of it so I can maybe google it on other websites?
    Thanks!!

January 10, 2013 at 1:36 pm

I’m not sure of the design name, but it was from the Dwell Studio line. I don’t think they carry it anymore though – I wasn’t able to find it on their website : (

Allison
    April 6, 2013 at 11:09 pm

Ashley,
    I have the bedspread, which I love, and I have been searching for a great wall color. Thank you so much for the information you provided. It looks fabulous.

Valerie
    November 5, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Your taste is excellent! I have to say that I borrowed your idea and used this paint in my bedroom! It solved some problems as I am taking our seven year old tv stand (barn style and in dark bark red) and I’m making an armoire from it that will house clothes AND a small flat screen tv! Originally I was finding used items and painting them white to unify them but I was worried that even a good primer couldn’t hide that red. I have to say that the True Value Platiumn paint and primer is really worth the $32.99! Two coats (after a rough sand-scuffing) and DONE! The reason that I decided to use the same color is that I have the same color scheme (minus the aqua) and oddly enough, a similar bed! I found a 70s pine bookcase and did that first-$3.00 at a yard sale!!

November 5, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Sounds like such a fun project! Glad this post helped : )

Sarena
    November 9, 2013 at 9:25 pm

so, what is the name of the paint color ?

November 9, 2013 at 10:09 pm

It’s called Forbidden : )

Carrie
    February 23, 2014 at 8:14 pm

Did you do any sanding pre painting these?

February 23, 2014 at 8:23 pm

Nope, not for this project.