His + Her Favorite Things

HIS + HER FAVORITE THINGS

It’s that time of month again… another installment of our favorite things! Here’s a few of our current favorite things around the Brown house:

1. Contigo Vacuum-Insulated Tumbler – By now you all know how much I love coffee. My favorite travel mug got lost in the fray as we were moving, and while it was pretty good at keeping things hot for the ride to work, I’ve decided I want something a little more robust.  From everything that I’ve read, this guy is top-of-the-line.  Not only does it keep things hot for a good long time, it’s also leak- and spill-proof.  I’m going to have to put my hands on this as soon as possible! EDIT: One of our friendly readers has informed me that while the mug does work as advertised, it’s really hard to clean out all the little parts in the lid, which can cause unwanted odors after a while.  Looks like I might end up grabbing the Starbucks version instead!

2. Webber Charcoal Grill – I love my grill.  It’s big enough to cook several large steaks at a time, and has vents on the top and bottom for proper air flow.  There’s not much else to say here–this is a simply fantastic charcoal grill. We’ve been getting a lot of use out of it since we are in the middle of our kitchen “reinstall”.

3. Mythbusters Mega Movie Myths – I don’t know that I’d even want cable if it weren’t for the Discovery, Science, and History Channels.  Specifically, Mythbusters has to be one of my all-time favorite shows on television.  I love how these guys take pop culture and turn it on its ear with science.  The fact that they haven’t run out of things to test after 8 years is absolutely astounding. If you haven’t ever watched Mythbusters, this DVD might be the place to start for you. Otherwise, just set it on your DVR and rejoice!  Discovery airs tons of reruns every week!

4. Todo.ly – I’m a little forgetful.  Okay… a LOT forgetful. While Ashley does her best to keep me straight with all of her organizational skills, sometimes I need to make some lists of my own.  And while I love Evernote for its tight integration with my phone, I’m a huge fan of ToDo.ly as well.  ToDo.ly is a little web application that allows you to create lists, check items off, and even print them out in a nice friendly format.  Best of all, it’s free.

5. Astronaut Ice Cream – This is a bit of a throwback to my youth.  I was (and still am) the typical geek, and one of my favorite places was always the air & space museum (or that section of any science museum I could walk into).  While all the technology and science was cool, the trip to the gift shop always concluded with me begging my parents for some of this stuff.  Portable ice cream that doesn’t melt?  Done.

6. Cracker Barrel’s Shimp Po’ Boy Sandwich – I love po’ boy sandwiches.  They’re simple, can be done a multitude of ways, and are hearty and satisfying. These days, since our we’re currently kitchen-less, Cracker Barrel is a frequent stop for us because it’s close to home cooking. While Ash sticks to Haddock, I really enjoy their new Po’ Boy.  Seafood on a sub?  ‘Nuff said.

1. We purchased these Galvanized Planters from CB2 over a year ago, put them in my parent’s garage and totally forgot about them until we came across them earlier this month. We’re so glad we did because we need planters for the front porch; perfect timing! They are the perfect size for a good-sized plant, and the clean lines will bring a slight modern touch to the front porch. With a few coats of spray paint, we’re good to go! Yes… I want to spray paint them. More on that when we get around to doing it!

2. This Boot Umbrella Stand from ZGallerie has been on my wish list for a while now. I think it could really bring in some unexpected whimsy to an entryway or laundry room.

3. I’m a big Gwyneth Paltrow fan, and I love good cookbooks, so buying My Father’s Daughter was a no-brainer! Now we just have to get the kitchen done so I can actually COOK!

4. Pinterest made it to this month’s list of favorites without any hesitation (even though talked about it just a few days ago). Today, they announced their iPhone app will be here in just 7 days! That just makes them even more awesome. Oh happy day!

5. Confession: I am a beauty product junkie! So when I read about Birchbox on another Richmond-based blog, Her Late Night Cravings, I just had to try it out! For $10 a month, you receive a box of deluxe size samples from top brands like Nars, Cargo, Laura Mercier, Marc Jacobs, Stila, and many more. I like to think of it as a beauty magazine in a box with actual products.

6. Current lipgloss favorite: Smashbox’s Sheer Color Lip Gloss in Pale Nude. It’s the perfect “barely there” color for Spring and it lasts forever without being too sticky.

7. I simply adore this blown glass candle holder from West Elm. It’s simple, modern, yet rustic. It’s also big enough to house a large Yankee Candle. So, what’s not to love?!

8. If your mom loves gardening (or flowers), this Mini Gladiolus in Grow Box would be a great Mother’s Day gift! Complete with organic soil and a bamboo box, it’s also very eco-friendly. The ribbon is even made from recycled plastic bottles!

Did you come across any favorite things for this month? Tell us about them in the comment section!

Rachel M
    May 2, 2011 at 4:51 pm

i just bought My Father’s Daughter from Amazon! I haven’t gotten it yet, but I’m really looking forward to it!

Craig
    May 2, 2011 at 4:52 pm

We have the same grill and have had it for years and it’s still just as good as when we first bought it. Great buy!

Shannon
    May 2, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Birchbox sounds like something I NEED!!!

Wanda
    May 2, 2011 at 5:09 pm

That’s funny that you should post the thing about Cracker Barrel’s Po Boy Sandwich. Our family went there last night and my husband ordered it and he said that’s what he’s going to order from now on! Too bad it’s a seasonal dish though.

I need to tell my daughter about Birchbox. She would love that!

Lisa S
    May 2, 2011 at 5:11 pm

I’m ADDICTED to Pinterest! It’s worse than Twitter!!

Rhonda
    May 2, 2011 at 8:16 pm

I’m in love with the DRAGON Dictation app!!!!!!!!!! I’ve used it everyday since I downloaded it. I actually doubted it would works properly, but it does…love!!!

Bailey Harkin
    May 2, 2011 at 8:24 pm

I’m hooked on Butter Pecan and Chocolate Decadence Gelato:(. This is not good! I have to drive 25 minutes to get it and with the weather getting warmer it really hits the spot….and it’s expensive! Why can’t I be hooked on yogurt!

Dierdra C
    May 2, 2011 at 8:37 pm

If an iPhone can be worn out playing music….mine is going down playing one of my favorites. Adele! Love her music!

Kyle
    May 2, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Sprinkles Cupcake Mixes 😀

Misha
    May 2, 2011 at 9:10 pm

My husband and me are addicted to the new NCIS L.A.

Ban Clothing
    May 3, 2011 at 2:06 am

I have a contigo mug and at first I was completely sold. It keeps the heat in and seals 100%. The problem is it’s hard to clean because the mouth piece seals with a piece of rubber plastic and it’s impossible to clean in there. The cup also starts to smell after a while and no amount of washing removes it. Starbucks has a cup that is a bit curvy with a flat top lid that seals 100% and is REALLY easy to keep clean. Way higher on my list plus it keeps my coffee piping hot for 6hrs!

Greg
      May 3, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Well, that rules the Contigo mug out. I might just take your suggestion and try out the Starbucks version. I could use a latte after work, anyway!

America
        May 4, 2011 at 11:18 pm

I have the Contigo mug and had the same problem with it. I got a general cleaning hint that I have used that has worked REALLY well. I use those cheap denture cleaning tablets from Target. I close the mug and let it soak up-side-down and then open it and pour the cleaner through the opening. I do this once a week with all my thermos type bottles and it has totally banished the funk.

Greg
          May 5, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Well, I ended up grabbing the mug from Starbucks that the previous poster suggested, but I’m sure this tip will come in very handy with the one I got as well. Coffee oils tend to stink up just about anything made out of plastic, so this method might be the answer to many people’s coffee smell woes.

As a test of my new product, I went to Starbucks yesterday, got a full mug full of the Bold Flavor of the Day (Three-Region Blend–not bad, by the way) for less than $2, and took it with me to a job site in Norfolk (about 2 hours from the house). I sipped on it the whole way there and still had a few sips left in the bottom when I arrived on site. I proceeded to leave it in the cold truck (I’d say it was in the 50s) for 5 hours. When I jumped back in the truck at 3 o’clock, the coffee was still warm and 100% drinkable. Color me thoroughly impressed.

My only complaint is that, had I been using the Contigo mug, I probably wouldn’t have spilled a bit of coffee on pants when we went over a rather large bump. I wasn’t paying attention (the top was open and the mug was resting on my leg), and luckily dark jeans hide black coffee quite well, so I’m not upset.

Thanks for all the tips and helpful advice! I’m sure my new mug will feed my caffeine habit for years to come!

ALittleBite
    May 3, 2011 at 4:36 am

I LOVE the umbrella stand, the grill and of course Pinterest! I’m already following you (mine’s alittlebite)

Kody
    May 3, 2011 at 7:27 am

I just got my pinterest invite last night!

Jayme & Mendi
    May 3, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Hi Ashley!! We are thrilled that you found Birchbox through our blog. We can’t wait to receive our next shipment. We adore your blog and are so happy to connect with fellow Richmond bloggers.
    So from a couple of beauty product junkies to another…thank you so much for mentioning us and this fabulous service.

Jayme & Mendi

Lauren @ Hungry Child in the City
    June 1, 2011 at 4:38 pm

I love this post! I looked at ZGallerie for the first time because now I have a crush on the rainboot umbrella stand. It’s a great site and they have a ton of cool stuff! Thanks 🙂