Kitchen

TO MATCH… OR NOT TO MATCH

dishwasher cabinet

We have a question to ask you, but before we get to that, here’s what’s up: Our severe lack of a true kitchen is weighing on our minds. How could it not be, right? When you’re living with a microwave, crock pot, and skillet as your “major” appliances, life is… interesting. As ya’ll know, we decided to go ahead and purchase the fridge (which we are really pleased with!) and that’s made things a lot easier in our “temporary kitchen“. However, as you might recall from the children’s story, if you give a mouse a cookie, he’s going to ask for a glass of milk. So now we’re thinking about the other appliances we’re going to be buying down the road — like a stove and dishwasher.

As far as the dishwasher goes, we want it to have a cabinet front to match whatever type of cabinets we go with. Kind of like this…

Since the kitchen is a little on the… shall we say… “cozy” side, we want to make it seem as spacious as possible. Β By covering the dishwasher with a cabinet front, we don’t break up the continuity of the cabinetry. This will help the kitchen look a tad larger and more finished to boot. Of course, not having to worry about the looks of the dishwasher makes picking it out pretty easy: just look at the reviews, find the best one for the money, and make sure the panel comes off. Done.

Then there’s the stove, and this is where the question comes in. We’ve found a few models we like, but Ashley is getting hung up on the brand. She’s thinking since we have a Samsung fridge we should get a Samsung stove. My thinking is though it would be nice, they don’t have to match. Ash keeps teetering back and forth…

What do you think? Don’t worry, we’re not asking you to pick a side, we’re just wondering what the rest of the population does (or wants to do) in their own kitchens. Do kitchen appliances have to match? What’s your opinion?

Cabinet front dishwasher photo courtesy of Southern Living.

Leslie's Day
    May 9, 2011 at 11:26 am

I think I would do the research and get reviews. As long as the finish matched, I wouldn’t worry about brand. I would just try to get the best quality/reviewed for the money!

Stephanie
    May 9, 2011 at 11:33 am

This might be a girl v. boy thing — when we bought our house it came with all of the applicances but the fridge. Since everything else was Worldpool Gold, I insisted that the fridge had to be as well. The Husband did not agree.

Thankfully, from my point of view, we found a great deal on the Worlpool Gold fridge and now everything matches.

Thus, really, I think its just a personal preference. Especially in places like Texas where apparently, people don’t leave their fridges when they move…

Lisa S
    May 9, 2011 at 11:33 am

My OCD brains says yes, the brands should match. But if you don’t like the stove in that brand, I would say, no, get another brand. Just make sure the stainless steels match.

Shannon
    May 9, 2011 at 11:35 am

My opinion, nope… don’t worry about matching the brands! I don’t think anyone would notice.

Hillary
    May 9, 2011 at 11:40 am

Matching finish is it. Matching brands is cuckoo unless you love the features of the units.

That third range from the left? With the tiny oven on top? I have it in the dual fuel version and it is AWESOME. I hate the fact that it’s got electronics involved instead of just knobs like a pro range, but I absolutely adore the tiny oven. It heats up to 425 in under 5 minutes and it cooks relatively evenly for being so small. I almost never use my big oven, even with my family of four, because the little one does just about everything I need. It’s like a giant toaster oven and I adore it!!

Brittany S.
    May 9, 2011 at 11:44 am

I love matching appliances, but that’s because I’m anal!
    I would highly recommend the double oven. It’ sssooo nice to have. You can heat up two items at once and also save energy if you are only using a cookie sheet by using the smaller oven.

Lydia
    May 9, 2011 at 11:50 am

My opinion… just make sure you like the features and everything and don’t worry about the brand!

PS A double range… it’s about time! The bottom drawer is always used for junk anyway. Such a good idea!

Carrisa
    May 9, 2011 at 11:50 am

I just recently bought three new appliances. A Samsung fridge, a GE range, and a Whirlpool microwave. You absolutely don’t have to stay with the same brand. Our dishwasher is Frigidaire. We’re all over the place. As long as they match finish wise, they don’t need to be the same brand.

Rhonda
      December 23, 2013 at 8:54 pm

DO YOU FIND THE SAMSUNG FRIDGE AND THE BOSCH STAINLESS FINISHES MATCH ENOUGH?

December 28, 2013 at 4:18 am

We actually have an Electrolux range, but it matches very nicely.

Michelle
    May 9, 2011 at 11:51 am

We just bought all new appliances and what we learned is each company has a slightly diff color of stainless steel. At least that is what we were told. My main concern was the performance and ratings but my second concern was that the handles match. Thankfully my husband agreed. I’m sure it doesn’t really matter if they all match or not but personally it would bug the sh*t out of me every day if they didn’t. πŸ™‚

chacha
    May 9, 2011 at 11:55 am

For me, as long as the color is the same I don’t care. And I’ve never heard anyone overly concerned with brand matching even with realtors. We have GE, Frigidaire, and KitchenAid all in the same kitchen.

Irene
    May 9, 2011 at 12:11 pm

We have 4 appliances from 4 different brands. As long as they look good together and work well, it doesn’t matter.

Skyanna
    May 9, 2011 at 12:30 pm

I have a Samsung stove and loooove it!

casacaudill
    May 9, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Originally we felt the same way. When we got new appliances everything was Kitchen-Aid. And then our microhood broke and they no longer carried the same version. We didn’t like the replacement. Then our dishwasher broke and the same thing happened. So now we have LG, Kitchen-Aid and Frigidaire. They’re all different brands but the key to making it work is that it’s all the same look with a brushed stainless steel in the same color and low profile buttons. Truthfully, I don’t even notice anymore that they’re not all the same brand.

Jill
    May 9, 2011 at 1:34 pm

When we bought our appliances for our new home we had the same question. The guy at the appliance store told us that if we planned to stay in our house for a long time get what we like and not worry about brand. If we planned on selling the house within 5 years or so to get matching appliances…

Christin
      May 9, 2011 at 2:14 pm

That’s probably some good advice. I like that.

Stephanie J
    May 9, 2011 at 1:57 pm

On the resale factor, I don’t think non-matching appliances would be a deal breaker for me (assuming they were the same finish). If I walked into a kitchen that had all stainless but different brands I probably wouldn’t notice, as long as the style went well together.

Lori H
    May 9, 2011 at 2:02 pm

We have a GE microwave, GE fridge, Wolff stove and Kitchen Aid dishwasher. BUT it all works great together because they all have the same brushed stainless finish. So they match, but aren’t the same.

Krissie
    May 9, 2011 at 2:11 pm

brands …no, finish…yes. what bugs me are when the handles are completely off…example: fridge has squared long handle on door and stove is rounded…or a diff finish… i know, its odd πŸ™‚

Tim
      January 6, 2017 at 3:21 pm

I am looking at a Samsung stove and fridge. different shades of stainless. but I don’t plan on moving any time soon.

Christin
    May 9, 2011 at 2:13 pm

I don’t think you need to have teh same brand appliances, but just to make sure the color/finish mtaches. So if you go with a different over/range than Samsung, just get one that is the same stainless look as your fridge and it’ll be great.

Erin
    May 9, 2011 at 3:10 pm

I have actually been told, by multiple people, not to match appliance brands but rather to buy the best of any appliance in my budget regardless of brand. Some companies make a better dishwasher, fridge, etc. than others. Also, you may not be able to get the features you want in your appliances if you limit yourself to one brand.

We are in the process of replacing all of our appliances and we chose Samsung for our fridge and built-in microwave, but KitchenAid for the dishwasher, because we really liked the features, interior layout, and reviews. Our range is on its way out and I’m pretty sure that its replacement will be an entirely different brand.

I figure as long as they all have the same “look” it’s fine – and you will find that many of the major brands have similarly styled handles, etc.

teresafiero
      March 11, 2014 at 7:59 pm

I am having the same dilemma. Erin. How has your Samsung OTR micro held up for you? and what model is it. I’m considering a Samsung OTR to replace my Decor πŸ™ and it’s driving me crazy that I no longer will have matching appliances.

Emily
    May 9, 2011 at 3:18 pm

I would say that they don’t have to be the same brand. I go for quality and good reviews. I much rather have something last than have a broken something that matches.

Sandy
    May 9, 2011 at 3:33 pm

New reader! Love the blog. As for the matching appliances, I would make sure the finishes match, but I wouldn’t worry about the brands themselves. We have similar lines on our appliances, and I never even notice that they aren’t the same brands. (Electrolux fridge, GE stove and microwave, and Kitchenaid dishwasher!)

Nicole
    May 9, 2011 at 4:26 pm

We just finished our kitchen reno and ended up with an LG fridge and KitchenAid range. No one has ever noticed that they are different – we just made sure that the stainless finish and the handles matched to give a consistent look. Love it and don’t regret going with different brands at all.

Deena
    May 9, 2011 at 4:48 pm

In our first home, we insisted on having matching appliances, but when we moved, our new house had mismatched brands, but same finish. Honestly I’ve never really noticed. As long as there’s some consistency I don’t think it matters.

erica p.
    May 9, 2011 at 5:00 pm

I say no – they don’t have to be the same brand…just the same finish. I’m willing to bet that the only people that will ever notice the difference are the two of you.

Katie @ explanationrequired
    May 9, 2011 at 5:32 pm

I don’t think the brands need to match, just the finish and overall look. We we redid the kitchen in our previous place we got everything matching and I regretted it. We got all LG based on my falling in love with a LG fridge. LG makes great fridges, but their dishwashers are junk and we have to pay labor costs (the parts were still covered under warranty) to get the motor fixed. In the future I’d go for appliances that look good together, but each individually come higly recommended.

janet @ ordinary mom
    May 9, 2011 at 5:44 pm

Our last house we had matching appliances for about 4 months until two of them did NOT live up to their expectations and were returned and replaced. I now think more features and finishes versus brands.

And a side note on the stove. Our new stove is all buttons on the front (no knobs) and although it SEEMED like a great idea for cleaning, it is a pain to clean (turns on and off, beeps and actually locked me out once to the point of getting the unit replaced). So my next stove? Back to knobs!

Good luck! Can’t wait to see what you pick.

Dawn
    May 9, 2011 at 6:05 pm

Brand doesn’t matter – but whatever you do, do NOT get kitchenaid! We bought all new in 2006. Replaced the stove after 2 years, microwave is going out, refrigerator has had issues. Just my 2 cents worth!

May 9, 2011 at 9:33 pm

Oh dear… Thanks for the tip!

Amanda @ The Fix-Its
    May 9, 2011 at 6:53 pm

So funny you mentioned this! We ran into the same thing recently: we had to replace our dishwasher and I noticed my husband had limited our search to only KitchenAid. He explained the brands HAD to match, and frankly, I had never heard this before. So, we did go with a matching brand appliance (partially because I felt shamed at my lack of knowledge), and for the sake of resale it made sense.

Jami
    May 9, 2011 at 7:24 pm

I prefer it to be matchy matchy but to be honest I’d jump ship if there was a nicer looking brand available in the same price range. It’s totally not a deal breaker!

BTW…you were so right. Pinterest is going to be a huge issue/amazing problem for me! πŸ™‚

May 9, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Haha, yay!! Happy pinning! : )

Lindsay
    May 9, 2011 at 8:48 pm

I think the look of the appliances is much more important. Matching brands would be nice, but I really don’t think it matters. Just make sure everything looks cohesive.

Necole
    May 9, 2011 at 9:23 pm

You do not have to have the same brand of appliances. I would just make sure that your handles on your stove match the handles on your fridge. Or, you could just go crazy and buy a vintage inspired stove in a solid color. Just an idea.

May 9, 2011 at 9:31 pm

I LOVE vintage inspired stoves! They make my heart hurt.

Cait @ Hernando House
    May 9, 2011 at 10:10 pm

I’ve heard matching appliances are for resale value, but I like the fact that ours are all the same brand (except for the fridge, which we have yet to replace).

A vintage/industrial style stove would be cool, though!

Anne Greeson
    May 9, 2011 at 11:01 pm

I’ve always thought the appliances that will stay with the house had to match — like tires on a car. I didn’t care about the fridge because that would go with us (most likely) when we moved. I have noticed that stainless finishes can be tricky to match even in the same line, but it’s exciting that so many posts have suggested features over brand… Liberating!

Leslie @ NE Portland Bungalow
    May 9, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Ah! You’re in my brain!

We have a small kitchen, and I really wanted to go with a panel-front dishwasher, but we decided since this isn’t the “forever home” to save the extra money. BUT I love it! Regarding brand, I don’t personally think matching is super important. But if this was the forever home, maybe I would feel more strongly.

Meghan M.
    May 9, 2011 at 11:39 pm

I think they definitely have to match! Hands down!

Kristiana
    May 10, 2011 at 12:11 am

My husband and i bought our first house last house. One of the reasons we bout our current home is because it has the nicest kitchen. To be honest, I don’t know what brand the appliances are but they are all stainless steel so they match, and they’re brand new. I think matching is the most important thing. You might be able to get a better deal if you buy two appliances thought… P.s. I love dishwashers that blend in (with the cabinet front πŸ™‚

Amanda
    May 10, 2011 at 2:00 pm

In a perfect world, I would say yes. But it’s highly unlikely you’re going to like everything (ie: where the elements are, or buttons, etc on a stove) about all the appliances in one brand. But the finish must match — no question.

Julie Anne
    May 11, 2011 at 1:36 am

Match your finishes, yes. But don’t match the appliance brands.

Right now, nobody (and I mean nobody, including home buyers) will notice if your finish-matched appliances are the same brand.

Looking toward the future, your appliances will wear out at different rates and need to be replaced at different times. Matching brands means locking yourself in to one brand for a very long time, or replacing all of your appliances every time one breaks.

Also, having a double oven is awesome. I highly recommend it. When my oven failed the day before Thanksgiving a few years ago, I went into my local appliance dealership and explained my panic, my situation (the whole extended family arriving the next day for a giant holiday meal), and my limited budget on such short notice. I was shown a perfect brand new oven that had been mistakenly ordered by the dealer (customer needed gas, it was electric). I could pay immediately in cash what the dealer had paid wholesale, so they wouldn’t take a profit hit that month, and they could deliver it same day. Sold.

Thus, I unexpectedly found myself the proud owner of a GE Gemini with the small (but wide) top oven, and large lower oven, and haven’t looked back. It comes in both gas and electric versions, and the top oven makes Sunday cinnamon rolls and any night pizza super-easy, and and an energy-saver. And for big meals, needing two temperatures for different dishes, or needing a warming oven and a cooking oven, it is wonderful.

I’m sure other double oven brands are also as convenient, my experience is just with the GE Gemini.

Holly
    May 11, 2011 at 11:57 am

Haha, my husband and I were just talking about this yesterday. We recently bought a house that came with a matching fridge, stove, and dishwasher – all black and the same brand. We are fixing to buy a microwave to go over the stove. We decided we didn’t care if it was the same brand or not, just black.

Melissa @ HOUSEography
    May 11, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Definitely don’t have to match. I would go with the best performance. We have a Samsung fridge, GE Cafe stove, and Bosch dishwasher – all stainless. No one could tell the difference. Whatever works for you!

Jan
    May 13, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Sometimes there are slight variations in stainless/metal finishes. I would try to match if at all possible, but love your idea of continuity of cabinet-front dishwasher. We are pleased with our GE Profile suite – very quiet dishwasher.

Diana
    May 16, 2011 at 8:18 pm

I say no match. We have a Whirlpool fridge and a fridgidare range. We didn’t buy an appliance set all at once and when we went to buy the range, we didn’t find a Whirlpool range that fit what we wanted. It would be stupid to buy an appliance that was subpar just so the stainless finish would be exact. If you are buying a fridge, range and dishwasher all at the same time, there could be economic reasons why to go with the same brand due to multiple piece discounts.

ellen
    June 5, 2011 at 10:00 am

We’ve done two kitchens and have done it both ways. The first kitchen was a Bosch matchy matchy package. Very sharp. However, we learned from that first purchase that you don’t always get what you want or the best appliances that way. We hated the Bosch diswasher. Our current kitchen was just redone with Frigidaire Gallery for the dishwasher, stove, microwave. We got a Whirlpool Gold fridge. It’s all fabulous. The key is to get the stainless finish similar. I’ve been in high end kitchens that don’t match. The key is to get the best of each appliance for you and your needs! good luck

jen
    June 5, 2011 at 8:24 pm

No one brand makes the best appliance in every category. Quality is better than appearances.

uçak bileti
    June 8, 2012 at 2:26 am

…Awesome website…

[…]Wow, marvelous weblog format! How lengthy have you ever been running a blog for?[…]…

Charles White
    April 29, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Great commits, I personally prefer my appliances to all match. Thanks for posting.

Jennifer
    November 6, 2013 at 11:28 am

Great blog – I love this conversation about matching kitchen appliances!

I am currently awaiting delivery of my new Frigidaire Gallery range with matching microhood. I have a Whirlpool Gold fridge and Kitchen Aid diswasher (which I replaced at different times). I went with Frigidaire because it has what I want for function at a good price, plus it’s a beautiful design. I couldn’t believe how unimpressive the Whirlpool and Kitchen Aid gas ranges were (esp for their price tag!). So I took a chance on a different brand that was rated high in reviews and consumer reports – hopefully it will look great in my slowly-evolving kitchen!

By the way, my neighbor remodeled her “cozy” sized kitchen and she put in a Samsung fridge, GE profile range with hood, and a Bosch diswasher (all stainless finish) and it all looks great together.

tisha
    March 29, 2014 at 9:43 am

I guess I am the only one going white these days. Does anyone know if a Bosch white dishwasher matches a samsung white stove