On the Set

ON THE SET: THE PARENT TRAP

parenttrap_bedroom_2

Ever have those days when you want to throw out everything you own and start brand new with a totally different style? Not that you don’t like your style but sometimes it’s fun to think about going ultra modern if your traditional or going Mediteranian if Martha Stewart is your everyday cup of tea. I have those urges from time to time, like I’m sure a lot of you do.

The other day, the Hallmark Channel aired The Parent Trap staring Hayley Mills and Hayley Mills. It’s one of those feel-good classics that just doesn’t compare to modern day movies (ya’ll know by now how we love a good classic!). I could watch it over and over again and never get tired of “Let’s get together, yeah, yeah, yeah…”

I’ve seen this movie over 60 times – and that’s no exaggeration. Though I usually find myself unconsciously mouthing out practically every single line and singing along with every song, this time around, I was focused on another character: the rustic, mid century modern home that is known as Golden Oak Ranch (Susan’s California house):

Even though Golden Oak Ranch was a “reel” place rather than a “real” place (sorry, I had to go there), it still makes a part of my heart long for 50+ sprawling acres in Southern Carmel Valley. What was supposed to be a 2 hour and 15 minute movie turned unto a 3 hour home design retrospective because I kept pausing to take in the architecture and furniture. I guess that goes to show my mind has been all about houses lately!

I love, love, love the rustic stone walls and exposed beams paired with the perfect mixture of modern and Spanish-style furniture pieces.

The fireplace in the den (pictured below) is so massive that it almost goes unnoticed. The clean lines of the furniture strike a perfect balance with the eclectic selection of accessories and art pieces. Take any of these pieces, put them in a modern-day house, and it would look like something you picked up at Crate & Barrel last week. It’s a perfect case of how interior design tends to evolve and revolve.

Ordinarily, I love a crisp white kitchen. On the other hand, in my daydream of a house in Southern Carmel, a kitchen that includes chunky exposed brick, picture windows, and zebra wood is A-okay in my book! I’m even digging the pops of color in the cookware, vase (behind the glass door) and the telephone sitting on the counter.

The pale yellows, blues and pinkish orange in Susan’s room are charming and age appropriate. When I was around 10 years old, I remember telling my mom I wanted a headboard just like this one:

And you can’t forget the funky, oversized orange and white lamps. I could totally see David Bromstad or Candice Olson using those in a room today.

One of my favorite features of the ranch is all of the connecting outdoor spaces. The living spaces seamlessly come together through adjoining courtyards. Who wouldn’t love that?!

While I’m at it, I’m going to take this daydream a tad further. If I had my own version of Golden Oak Ranch, it would start with something like this:

parent trap furniture

1. Carmel Mission by the Sea / Art.com 2. The Nines Sofa / Crate & Barrel 3. Wine Barrel Sconce / Restoration Hardware 4. Old Door Ox Yoke Sofa Table / Direct from Mexico 5. Silver Horse Statue / Chinese Antique Shop 6. Azar Rug / Restoration Hardware 7. Aged Tin Round Mirror / Direct from Mexico 8. Cole Chair / Room & Board

A girl can dream, right? Do you have a favorite movie house you wish you could move right into? If you could totally change your style on a whim, what would your style be? This week anyway ; )

Parent Trap poster found here. Set images courtesy of Hooked on Houses.

Libby
    June 14, 2011 at 1:40 pm

oh i LOVE this movie! and the mid-century decor is awesome too. my husband had never seen it until i made him watch a few years back, and the “let’s get together yeah yeah yeah” singing scene cracked him up…especially since he’s a musician and the twin with the guitar barely touches the guitar strings the whole song (she just moves her hand over the general area). haha. i hope the hallmark channel plays this again soon so i can watch!

JENNY D
    June 14, 2011 at 1:41 pm

I love any and all movies starring Haley Mills!!! Parent Trap is one of my favorite though. Yeah, I could definitely handle living there! Their Boston house in the movie wasn’t too shabby either, but I’d still rather check -in at the ranch.

Brielle
    June 14, 2011 at 1:44 pm

OMG I love that movie! As a kid I always wanted to move into the Brady Bunch House too:)

Sarah Jay
    June 14, 2011 at 1:45 pm

One of my cousins looks so much like Haley Mills it’s scary.

But back to the decor: I am crushing hard on that pleated bed skirt. The only downside is that it probably needs meticulous ironing, and that’s not really my strong suit.

Nay P
    June 14, 2011 at 1:46 pm

It still amazes me to see how trends come and go…and come again!

MB
    June 14, 2011 at 1:54 pm

15 years ago my favorite was Father of the Bride. Now it is Something’s Gotta Give.

Cheryl Dawson
    June 14, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Oh how this movie brings back memories! Those were the good old days:). Take me back! Great post! I could handle living in a few of Doris Day’s movie homes too:)

Leslie's Day
    June 14, 2011 at 1:57 pm

I had to stop when this movie came on tv the other day too! I love it! The thing I always remember from watching is the home’s interior courtyard. Now I’m going to need to go back and record it so that I can pause on all of this eye candy too…

cath
    June 14, 2011 at 2:20 pm

I love that movie! and the ranch house is gorgeous too. I also really love the beach house in “Somethings Gotta Give” Definitely droolworthy!

Lindsey
    June 14, 2011 at 3:25 pm

oh I LOVE this post, you creativity is remarkable! I also love all the 60s movie house sets…
    thank you for the inspiration! we are moving into our first hosue in the next few months and I have my Home inspiration binder just building and building!

Ashley S
    June 14, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Twelve Oaks… I girl can REALLY dream right?

Erin
    June 14, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Oh, this is one of my favorite movie houses! πŸ™‚ Like the others, I’m also a fan of the Father of the Bride and Something’s Gotta Give houses and Reese Witherspoon’s gorgeous apartment in Just Like Heaven.

Michelle Brant
    June 14, 2011 at 10:53 pm

I really, really love Parent Trap. It’s a classic in my book. Another movie that really stands out in my mind from years gone by is “Hello Down There” starring Tony Randall. In the movie he builds an underwater house. And In order to win over his boss he offers to be the first to live in the prototype along with his wife and kids. It’s a typical 60s comedy. I would live in an underwater house if I had the chance:) Haven’t seen the movie in years but remember it had that mid-century modern flair. It’s a hard one to find. Fun post!

TONI G
    June 14, 2011 at 11:01 pm

I always wished I could hang with Cissy, Buffy, Jody, Uncle Bill and Mr. French in their Manhattan high rise on Family Affair:)

Stephanie J
    June 14, 2011 at 11:28 pm

I’m so glad I’m not the only one! This is one of my favs and within the past couple months I found myself thinking about that ranch house. So imagine my surprise when I was able to take it all in this weekend! Alas, I do not have dvr so I could not pause and admire, but I was all over the house segments of the movie. You’re so right – never noticed the massive fireplace!

Domestic Recluse
    June 14, 2011 at 11:57 pm

Hi there! Wow, I know I’m probably showing my age but uh, I loved watching the Parent Trap series as a kid. I think my fave is when they went camping & enticed bears into the mom-to-be’s tent. LOL I’ve recreated that prank in some form when I was in the military, which probably doesn’t bode well but eh, that’s life. πŸ˜‰

I see that you’re both a homeowner and a SAHM like me, so I was wondering if you’d like to join my new SAHbbatical blog-hop for Stay-At-Home parents?

I have you listed on my blogroll but with that list growing & taking up a lot of real estate on my blog, I plan on removing the blogroll altogether… Before I do, I wanted to give those on my blogroll the opportunity to be showcased in my SAHbbatical blog-hop instead. I think it has the potential to become a great method of encouraging guests to mingle amongst particular blogs.

Thanks for sharing your homeowner experiences with a fellow SAHM like myself; hope to see you again soon!

Aimee
    June 15, 2011 at 12:10 am

After my own heart here!! Love the movie, LOVE that ranch. sigh…

Erin
    June 15, 2011 at 1:00 am

Ooo…Love that movie! And now you’ve given me more to add to my own inspiration files!

Necole
    June 17, 2011 at 7:38 pm

My dad looks like the dad from The Parent Trap. I love that movie.

Landry Thomas
    June 20, 2011 at 9:46 pm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that movie! I have seen it a thousand times!
    I really like your interpretation of that gorgeous ranch!

Yvette
    July 19, 2011 at 7:23 pm

One of my favorite movies and movie homes ever! Just found your blog. Love it! I’m in the RVA suburbs, too!

Ruby Rosano
    June 4, 2012 at 2:59 pm

I have worn out 2 dvd movies and have 1 on VHS that I don’t watch along with a dvd. I love this movie for every aspect of it..I love the plot, the songs, the scenery and love the homes, especially the ranch home. If ever I a lot of money I will definitely make a home similar to it. Sad to know it was not real, but in my mind it is.. πŸ™‚

Victoria Talia
    June 18, 2014 at 1:44 am

Omg, I seriously watch this movie like every week (not even kidding) and every Hayley Mills movie, for that matter. I have always wanted to live at the ranch as well (and in the movie from Home Alone, but that’s a different story…). In fact, I am curently painting my room that same shade of blue as Susan in the Parent Trap has in her room and I totally didn’t realize it until I sat and thought about where I had seen that shade of blue. So now I’m on a hunt for a white headboard like that one because it is just too fabulous- almost makes me wonder where the original headboard ended up…

Anyway, I could talk about the Parent Trap & Hayley Mills for days…so, I’ll end this here. πŸ˜‰