We’re back with our monthly installment of our favorite things. Speaking of which… according to last week’s reader survey, roughly 97% of you who participated said “His & Her Favorite Things” is your favorite 7th House feature! We were happy to hear that because we really enjoy putting these together every month and letting you guys see into our brains a tad more. On that note, let’s get started…
1. Cool Jaz Guitar Ice Cube Trays – These ice cube stirrers are cool in their own right, but I see a multitude of other drink-related uses. I’m thinking you could freeze some sort of strawberry-flavored concoction with these and serving them with lemonade. Yes?
2. Cholula’s & Tabasco Chipotle – I don’t like hot sauces that are hot for the sake of hotness. I like to enjoy the flavors and I only add a hot sauce if it really brings something to the table. Separately, these are two of my favorite ways to amp up the flavor ante on things like Chick-Fil-A sandwiches. Together (with just a touch more Chulula’s than Tabasco in the mix) they make one of the most amazing spicy steak sauces ever. It brings new flavors, but it doesn’t mask the steak itself. This all may sound odd, but it’s is absolutely something you have to try – even if you don’t like hot sauce! Ash has always hated hot sauce and these days she’s putting this stuff on everything.
3. Web Mail Notifier – I know everybody has desktop notifications and smart phones that let them know when they have an email waiting for them, but sometimes you just need a quiet reminder that “You’ve got mail.” This email icon sits on your desk(top) and lights up when you get an email. This is great when you want to turn the cell phone off and close Outlook, but still want the choice of checking your email if you get something in. I might grab one of these as soon as I organize my desk a bit better.
4. Falling Skies– I’m pretty sure those of you who have been reading the blog for a while have caught onto the fact that I’m a huge geek. Well, I’ve been waiting for something (anything, really) to replace all of my favorite sci-fi shows that have been cancelled. I’m looking at you, Firefly and Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. The Event is pretty cool but it hasn’t satisfied my need for sci-fi. I crave something that hearkens back to Stargate: SG–1 or Star Trek: The Next Generation (remember, geek?). As it turns out, Falling Skies on TNT fills that need – even though it’s slightly campy and the acting iffy at times. So make sure you set your DVRs to record a re-run of the pilot and second episode, then clear your schedule for Sunday at 10PM ET. On Tuesday when you go back to work, none of your buddies at the water cooler are going to be talking about it, but you’ll have something to talk about with the guy who fixes your computer!
5. Z Gallerie Roadster – I’m normally not a home-decor-accessory-picker-outer (I tend to leave the decorating to Ash) but I think this metal Roadster from Z Gallerie is pretty cool. Seeing as how this is a rarity for me, it made it to my favorite things list.
6. Black & Decker Drill Bit Set – My father-in-law is a really handy guy, so he has a lot of tools. Since we moved in the house, when a project needed to get done around, I would typically end up having to borrow something from him to make it happen. Well, drill bits are my first step to tool independence. I’ve had a really nice cordless drill for some time now, but I realized the other day, I’ve never had any drill bits of my own. I decided now was the time to stop borrowing what I could have for myself, so I went to Lowe’s and bought this nice assortment – that I ended up not needing for the project we were working on after all. Yeah… sometimes that’s the way the cookie crumbles, but now I’ve got drill bits on hand if I ever need them!
7. Nike+ GPS iPhone App – This Nike+ GPS app is great for its intended use (distance running), but it’s also great for tracking your distance while walking and biking. Ash and I have been using it a lot recently and it’s making workouts a lot more fun. Is it a little gimmicky to have famous athletes cheering you on from recorded messages? Sure. Does it help? Possibly. When you’re trying to push out that last bit of distance, any encouraging voice is a good one. Definitely worth the $1.99.
I’m going to preface my favorite things line up with the fact that I did not realize four out of my nine picks were Martha Stewart until we were about to publish. I guess she’s just that awesome.
1. Martha Stewart Recipe Box – I keep most of our recipes in a binder but from time to time, I have a recipe card that I want to keep around and this box is the perfect place to keep them. It looks very vintage and is the perfect size – not too big, not too small.
2. Bailey Table Lamp – I’ve had my eye on this lamp for months. Literally. Months. Last week on my daily Z Gallerie stalking session, it finally happened, it was on sale! Not just any sale, 50% off! So I snatched up two of them faster than you could say “Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious“. They haven’t been delivered yet, but I’m incredibly excited about their arrival. Their new home will be in my office or our bedroom (once we get a new bed). Decisions, decisions.
3. DL Rhein Zig Zag Embroidered Pillow – Chevron is all the rage right now. It doesn’t seem like anyone can get enough of it – including myself! I’m loving it even more in this striking tangerine orange color.
4. Oversized Square Sunglasses – I’ve been crushing on these Tory Burch sunglasses for weeks! I am a firm believer that every girl needs one good, stylish pair of oversized sunglasses… plus a big bag, lip gloss and your good to go ; )
5. 3-Cup Batter Dispenser – I don’t know if it’s the fact that I totally miss baking (due to the lack of a kitchen) or I have an odd obsession for kitchen gadgets; regardless, I really think this Martha Stewart Batter Dispenser is super nifty. It can already think of three uses – including making those cupcakes a little more symmetrical.
6. Martha Stewart Living iPad App – I don’t even buy the paper-style magazine anymore because this app is just that good! If you are an iPad owner and what to be wowed, you must download at least one issue (I’m pretty sure you’ll be hooked thereafter!). The app itself is free and the issues are $3.99 each. Every issue is full of instructional videos, “live” title pages, and audio features. If there is a recipe or project you want to print out, no worries, there’s a “print” feature too. Martha is just too cool for school.
7. WalMart Commercials – Have you seen the new WalMart commercials?!? Seriously. Every single time they come on, I have to rewind them to watch them over and over. This one in particular is my favorite:
Seriously?! “Yeah, he’s gonna look like a baby…” And that face when he turns over. Hilarious!
8. Martha Stewart Melamine Bowl Set – It’s rare to find large mixing bowl sets in such stylishly vibrant colors. I want to snag a set of these before they stop making them! Don’t you hate it when that happens?
9. Free Philosophy Water Bottle – Ya’ll have probably figured out by now (from past Favorite Things features) that I’m a HUGE Philosophy fan. Seriously, I could go on and on about my love of Amazing Grace, Hope in a Jar, Vanilla Birthday Cake Lip Gloss… Yeah, case in point. Anyway, when I stocked up last week, I also got a spiffy Philosophy water bottle. For a Philosophy fan-girl like myself, it’s pretty spiffy.
Well, that’s it for this month’s edition of our Favorite Things! Do you have any current favorites?