Greg's Office Shopping + Thrifting

SHELF LIFE

It’s been a while since we’ve talked about Greg’s office. Since our time has been consumed with other parts of the house, not too much has changed. To refresh your memory, here’s the mood board we put together to capture a little of what we’re going for. We like to call it “modern geek chic”:

1. Kivik Chair 2. Circuit Office Accessories 3. Fado Pendant 4. Giant Wipe-Off Board 5. Crane Grellow Desk Lamp (Which isn’t available anymore, but Greg wasn’t a fan anyway. We might be going for something like this instead.) 6. Abacus Wall Art 7. Galant Desk 8. Knitted Pouf 9. Array Bookcase in Blood Orange

Unfortunately, the desk lamp and blood orange version of the Array Bookcase are no longer available. As I mentioned before, Greg’s not too upset about the lamp; but we were both really excited about the pop of blood orange. It would have tied in nicely with the colors from the abacus wall art. In light of the situation, we decided to go with the same bookcase in silver. Our minds were made up… until we saw Ikea’s Lack shelf unit. There were three reasons this made us think twice: 1) We liked how the individual shelves had more surface space to hold things other than books. 2) It was taller is would add some needed height to the room. 3) Weighing in at only $49.99, it cost almost a third of the other option (which was $189). Pretty good price, right? Reason number 347 we love Ikea!

No surprise, we ultimately decided on Ikea’s Lack shelf unit. After about twenty minutes of super easy assembly (in fact, so easy we didn’t even take a picture of it!), it was ready for hanging…

In order to hang the shelf (which weighs a little under 40 lbs), we used drywall anchors for extra support. We mounted the bracket that came with the shelf to the top. At that point, Greg lifted the shelf into place while I stood back and told him where to make the mark on the wall. Everything was super easy at that point – a few screws, a level to make everything was even, and it was ready to be put to good use…

For now we are working with what we have around the office but we’re looking forward to being able to change it up from time to time. To Greg’s delight, he now has a place for his prized Potato Heads, the books he uses the most, and yes… the red stapler. I told you he was a geek.

These aren’t just for looks – from time to time, I pull up a chair to Greg’s desk and we play dominos and card games. Come to think of it, I’m not really sure why we do that since we have a pretty large dining room table. Nevertheless, this glass vase serves as the perfect holding place for the dominos and even has a few of the colors from the abacus wall art mixed in. Convenient on both accounts!

Doesn’t this little guy resemble a husband-blogger we all know and love? Minus the green hair of course! When Greg and I first started dating, my family and I were on vacation at Disney World and I made this Mr. Potato Head for him at the toy store (Once Upon A Toy) in Downtown Disney. We’ve dubbed him the office mascot.

Another mini nod to Disney… When Greg and I got engaged, my brother gave this little bank to Greg and said, “You’ll need this. She’s expensive.”… little brothers. Ironically, filling this up a few times paid for all of our gas to and from Disney World for our Honeymoon. So it’s only natural that Greg’s little modern Mickey go beside it.

‘Tis the rundown of our office storage adventure. The next step will be hanging more shelving above his desk and maybe even a few guitars. By the way, did you guys watch Design Star last night? Do you have a favorite already?

Katie @ explanationrequired
    July 12, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Love what you’ve done, especially the potato heads. We have quite the collection at our place and we too honeymooned in Disney World. It’s a small world, huh?! (Ok, bad joke.)

Irene
    July 12, 2011 at 2:22 pm

That looks so cool!

Kelly K
    July 12, 2011 at 2:58 pm

The Potato Heads are over the top! LOVE!!!!!!! I love everything! You guys are just flat cool in my book. Just sayin’:)

Leisha
    July 12, 2011 at 3:13 pm

I have 2 sets of LACK shelving in my dining room. One is home to my vintage sugar and creamer sets and the other my vintage Salt and Pepper sets. But your Mr. Potato Heads are so legit! Enjoying your blog. 

LANA BARNES
    July 12, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Haven’t watched Design Star yet. We recorded it last night and are watching it tonight. I never dreamed my husband would jump on the HGTV bandwagon, but he’s a fan of Design Star too! Never say never, ladies!

Christin
    July 12, 2011 at 3:29 pm

So many things I love about this room! The shelving choice is great. My husband and I are geeks too – and definitely have the red swingline stapler! I also have a great appreciation for the storm trooper potato head.

Christin
    July 12, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Oh! I forgot to add that I have that Kivik chair and LOVE it!! My husband and I bought it recently, with the brown corduroy cover and it’s fantastic. It’s incredibly easy to put together, though the cover is a bit tricky just because it’s snug which is a good thing I think. And the chair cushioning is pretty firm – especially compared to the floor models at Ikea that are sat in constantly. But it’s seriously great, I definitely recommend it. : )

July 12, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Awesome! That’s really good know know. Thanks : )

Courtney Ward
    July 12, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Just wondering – what is the brand/color of paint in the office? It’s gorgeous! I like what you guys have done with the subtle wall color and pops of color from the CB2 abacus.

July 12, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Thank you! We used Martha Stewart’s Cobblestone. We also used it in our living/dining room. It’s a great neutral color while still having a modern edge.

Amanda
    July 13, 2011 at 9:07 am

Oh Ashley. You make me sad. Not really but …

This is just another reason I wish we had an Ikea in Atlantic Canada. Closest one is in Montreal. sigh.

Ofelia
    July 13, 2011 at 2:19 pm

I love the Ikea shelves, infortunately, in my country we have no Ikea store, so I’m just dreaming about those fantastic shelves, they look so fav!

Kelly
    August 10, 2012 at 10:55 am

Hi! I just bought the same Ikea LACK shelving unit and am worried about hanging it into drywall – Any tips for a single lady? Is yours in a stud? Did you only hang with the top bracket? Desperately trying to figure this out and stumbled upon you in my google search…

Greg
      August 10, 2012 at 11:33 am

I only used the top bracket, but I made sure to hit a stud with at least one of the screws. I don’t think I’d trust drywall to hold those shelves along with everything I put on them. I’d definitely suggest finding a friend to help you hold it up while you affix it to the wall, but if nobody’s available, you can set it on something that is the right height so you don’t have to worry about holding the weight of the whole unit. I actually used a couple of piles of books to hold it up while I screwed it in. (Ash wasn’t available when I was hanging it.) Worked like a charm.

Adrienne
    April 21, 2015 at 11:02 am

Can you tell me the space between the shelves on the Lack unit? Thanks!

April 24, 2015 at 12:41 pm

Hi Adrienne! We’ve since sold the shelving unit to make room hanging some of Greg’s guitars, but it may have the info on Ikea’s website.