Hall Bathroom

We’re just about finished with the hall bathroom renovation. Can I get a “yahoo!”? (To read up on our bathroom reno, check out part 1, part 2, part 3, part 4, and part 5… whew!) The bathroom has been usable for awhile (it’s been serving as our main bathroom while we’re working on the master bathroom!) and we’re now moving on to the finishing touches. Finishing touches as in… toilet paper holder, soap dispenser, wall art, and so on. All of that stuff is pretty easy to pick out – I mean, come on, there are only so many types of soap dispensers! But then there’s the “so on”.

We have a pretty good amount of counter space between the two sinks – 29.75 inches to be exact. A soap dispenser takes up only so much space, so what else should go there?

We tend to like things simple and uncluttered. So we’re not looking to add a bunch of “stuff” for the sake of having “stuff”. At first, I thought about doing apothecary jars (like the ones in the above photo), but I want to save that for the master bathroom. Apothecary jars are popping up everywhere these days so it may seem like an obvious choice. However, if you can find unique things to fill them with, you can make a one-of-a-kind vignette. I’ve got some ideas up my sleeve that I’m anxious to get to!

With apothecary jars off the list, I turned to the Internet to see what other homeowners have on their bathroom vanities and here are some of the inspiration photos I collected:

Pottery filled with foliage, vase with flowers, two soap dispensers, and a toiletries dish.

Soap dish, toothbrush + toothpaste dish, small clock, and simple flower arrangement.

Large tray complete with towels, flowers, soap, tissues, and a large container.

A tray with assorted soaps and oils, potted plant, and folded washcloths.

Toiletries petistal, mirror, candle, shallow basket for towels, and a cotton ball jar.

Pitcher with foliage, wooden tray, rolled wash clothes, soap on a rope, and small toiletry jars.

Even though most of the above bathrooms aren’t necessarily the style of our bathroom, I thought these were great examples of what other people put on bathroom vanities. Once we finish up the master bathroom, the hall bathroom will primarily be used by guests when they come over (and the occasional overnight guest), so we don’t need a big jar of cotton balls or sea sponges sitting on the counter. We want a vignette that is beautiful in form, yet practical in function, and thanks to these inspiration photos, we’re a little bit closer to that goal. We’re hoping to wrap things up in the hall bathroom over the next week (fingers crossed!), so stay tuned for the “big reveal”.

How about you? What do you have on your bathroom counters? Tell us about it in comment section…

Apothecary jars available here. Bathroom counter inspiration photos found here, here, here, here, here, and here.

Kendal K
    July 8, 2011 at 5:46 pm

I prefer uncluttered bathrooms too. My mom and grandmother like their little “prettiies” sitting everywhere:) I keep mine cleared and ready to use.

Sara Smith
    July 8, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Definitely liking the tray idea! You could put a nice bowl of soaps on it and some towels and tissues…as shown. I’m thinking those Marsielles soaps (tan squares) would look perfect in a bowl and would match, plus they get pretty good reviews! Here’s a link.
    Beautiful job, BTW!!

Nora L
    July 8, 2011 at 5:48 pm

I always like that bathrooms at Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware. They are always simple and clean too!

July 8, 2011 at 5:53 pm

I always appreciate when I find mints in a public or guest bath. Individually wrapped of course.

Juanita Peters
    July 8, 2011 at 5:57 pm

I can’t stand empty soap dispensers! We have some friends whose soap dispensers seem to always be empty. NOT good!!!

July 8, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Pump soap, flowers and a candle. Done:)

July 8, 2011 at 6:09 pm

Loving the tray and apothecary jars. I think we chose the same tile as you did for our bath reno!

Marie G
    July 8, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Do I love what you’ve done with your bathroom? Yes!!! I love everything about it! Very classy and sophisticated.

July 8, 2011 at 6:43 pm

I love all the tray ideas! πŸ™‚ Here is where the last picture came from originally: the lettered cottage!! http://theletteredcottage.net/guest-bathroom-reno-day-52
    this is a video of most of the work they did on that bathroom!

Morris M
    July 8, 2011 at 6:52 pm

Having your mirrors sit directly on the countertop is different for a bathroom but I like very much. I’m a no fuss kind of guy, but appreciate great aesthetics. My rule is to always “keep it simple” and “keep it clean”. Looking good.

July 8, 2011 at 10:45 pm

We have 30″ single vanities in two bathrooms and a pedestal sink in the third, so not much decor for us, unfortunately. Stuck in the realm of candles and soap pumps!

July 9, 2011 at 8:26 pm

lucky bamboo…simple and can come in many different styles. πŸ™‚

July 14, 2011 at 3:01 pm

I love the look of apothercary jars on a bathroom counter! I’ve even seen them used in a kitchen and I just love that idea!

Our bathroom is teeny tiny so we have no counter space (pedestal sink) so I have a pretty glass shelf above our toilet that holds an apothercary jar filled with monogrammed soaps, and a couple decor pieces. We have a wall that holds baskets with our towels, and inside our linen closet in the hall we have all of our toiletres. This is our starter home so we’re making due with such a small space for now… but our next home I’m looking forward to having a more spacious bathroom! πŸ™‚