Inspiration

CREATIVITY + JONATHAN TAYLOR THOMAS

As I mentioned the other day, I’m planning on including an inspiration board in my office (read more about the plans for the office here). I also mentioned that I’ve been dying to have one in my office for what seems like forever. There’s just something about having a designated place in an organized office where you have permission to clutter it up with things you love and gain creative inspiration from. It’s almost like creating a piece of art that completely captures your creative senses. When you think about it, an inspiration board can be a pretty powerful thing to get the creative juices flowing.

I think my love affair with inspiration boards started when I was about 13 years old. At the time, my mom wasn’t too crazy about me hanging posters in my room. Now, before you go there, no, my mom wasn’t Mommy Dearest. She just liked things neat, orderly, clean, etc. After bugging her for months to let me hang the Jonathan Taylor Thomas “Got Milk?” ad in my room like my cousin Dana, we came to a compromise. She hung a giant bulletin board (the kind you get from the teacher’s supply store) on one of the walls in my room. She painted the wooden frame to match the rest of the room then glued wooden letters that spelled out “Ashley’s Stuff”. To tie everything together (of course) she painted the letters to match the jewel-tone color scheme of my room.

I really, really wish I had a photo to go here. Hopefully, I’ll come across one someday! In the mean time, here’s a little love for my fellow JTT fans out there…

Brings back memories, right?! I think it was the hair.

Inside the four borders of that bulletin board, I had free reign. I collected photos from magazines, postcards of places I wanted to visit, notes from friends, and, yes, the occasional Jonathan Taylor Thomas photo – until it was covered by a Hanson poster. All in all, it was my creative outlet. To this day, I’m pretty sure I owe that bulletin board – and of course my mom, for my ability to think on the artistic side of things. Is it weird that I’m getting teary-eyed as I write this??

When I went off to college,one of the first thingsΒ I did was drive 30 minutes to the nearest Target to buy a bulletin board. Over the next few months, I made it into my little piece of home away from home. Now this, I have a photo of…

Now that you know my “heart” behind the concept of an inspiration board, let’s get to the how. Until I figure out exactly what kind of board I’ll be making, I’ve been having fun collecting photos of inspirational spaces with inspiration boards (how many times can I say “inspiration” in one sentence?). So far, here’s what I’ve rounded up…

black inspiration board

How about you…. Do any of you have an inspiration board somewhere in your home (or office)?

Btw, if you haven’t entered the $100 Pottery Barn Giveaway yet, go do it! The awesome people at HomeTalk are going to up the prize to a $150 gift card if we collect over 500 entires! Everyone has THREE chances to enter, so get clicking!

Inspiration board in the office of Holly Becker found here. Flash back Jonathan Taylor Thomas photo found here. Inspiration photos found here, here, here, here, here, here, and here.

Melanie @ Mailbox Journey
    August 17, 2011 at 11:14 am

I would love to have an inspiration board, but sadly my landlord won’t let me hang anything on the walls, unless there is already a hole on the wall to use. Which there is not very many of πŸ™

Can’t wait to see what you come up with!

Amanda
      August 17, 2011 at 12:14 pm

You can always use 3M command strips to hang things. They come clean right off the wall! and if you’re scared they wont, a good tip is to put painters tape (frog/blue tape) on the wall, then put the command strip on the tape!

August 17, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Yeah, and if the board you want to hang is really heavy, just use multiple Command Hooks. Each one holds a specific weight. They were my BFFs in college!

michelle
    August 17, 2011 at 11:52 am

I loooooooooved Jonathan Taylor Thomas too!! I had a serious fan girl crush on him. Never missed an episode of Home Improvement and I saw Tom & Huck 50+ times! …. I love this post πŸ˜‰

Pepper W
    August 17, 2011 at 11:53 am

Seeing inspiration boards in an office space always get me excited. I can’t wait to see what you decide to do. I’ll have to “borrow” the idea from you when you post it!

Julie Lee
    August 17, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Loved me some JTT! Great post!

Leslie's Day
    August 17, 2011 at 12:52 pm

I had two inspiration boards up until I got addicted to pinterest. I took the boards down and hung my college diploma:)

Cortney
    August 17, 2011 at 3:33 pm

I totally remember your love for JTT…lol

Sandy
    August 17, 2011 at 8:50 pm

OMG…I totally had that JTT milk ad up in my room, too. What a lil stud he was back then. πŸ™‚

Love the gold-framed chicken wire board the best! Rock on sista!

Carrie Anne
    August 17, 2011 at 11:19 pm

Ok, my dorm room didn’t look anywhere near as nice as yours…I’m just sayin’! Enjoying your blog:)

Marisa Felts
    August 17, 2011 at 11:27 pm

I’ve never really wanted an inspiration board but having one the size of Montana? That appeals to me! Love the board in the picture above with the side by side desks and black grids in the window. That’s some serious inspiration! (I had a JTT crush too:)

GINA V
    August 17, 2011 at 11:30 pm

I love the bed frame inspiration board! Genius!

Cait @ Hernando House
    August 18, 2011 at 10:44 am

I LOVE some of those pictures! I had magnetic bulletin boards in my room as a teenager, I think they were these from Pottery Barn Teen. I also used a lot of that sticky tack stuff to hang horse posters (and Got Milk adds, but not JTT).

I still have my magnetic boards, and I’m waiting to figure out the perfect place to hang them in our house. I’m also planning to DIY a bulletin board for my art room.

Kit @ DIYdiva
    August 18, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Yes! I just ran into this problem (after a year of living in a garage and having no inspiration or paper organization) so I built myself this pinboard with sliding chalkboard modeled off the Pottery Barn version. (But for $30 instead of $130)

There’s something to be said for those full wall cork board versions too, but the one I build offers some flexibility for moving things around to different walls or rooms… not that that ever happens.

Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove
    August 18, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Okay, so we’re basically the same person. I was in LOVE with JTT (I honestly thought I would marry him) until Hanson came along (and I therefore thought I would marry Zac). Not to mention that when I lived in the dorms at school, I had a red comforter, too. Very weird!

My favorite of the inspiration boards is when the entire wall is a cork board. Then you can really have fun with it!

evie