Inspiration

BRINGING IN THE NEW YEAR

Okay, well it’s not quite 2012 but thanks to Ikea, we can start decorating like it. Okay. Maybe that was just a tad too cheesy, even for me. Moving on! Last night, I finally got around to devouring the 2012 Ikea catalog. The very first thing that caught my eye was the quote on the cover: “A home doesn’t need to be big, just smart.” Not only is this my “quote of the week”, but it’s SO true. The quote is very fitting for the cover because after all, Ikea is the end all and be all of maximizing your space and utilizing every square inch. I love the sections in the Ikea showrooms where they show you what you can do with only 300 sq feet. It makes you think, “Wow, I could SO live like this!”.

a home doesn't need to be big, just smart, ikea

While flipping through studying the catalog, the folks Ikea seemed to be doing exactly what they do best: maximizing storage.  However, the rooms in the catalog look much more practical and lived-in than I remember from past issues. It was super-refreshing seeing Ikea step up their game like this, and I was so excited about it I just couldn’t contain myself. So without further ado, here are my favorite spaces in the 2012 Ikea catalog…

Overall, this room looks super cozy. It’s the perfect read-a-book-on-a-rainy-day room. As for the individual pieces, I’m especially digging the Hemnes glass-door cabinet to the far left of the room. I would love to find a place for one of these in our house and try out the same contact paper method we did on our back doors. I’m seriously considering it as a paper storage solution in my (currently neglected) office.

When I first saw this photo, the first thing I said was, “Hey, the walls in our laundry room are that color.” followed by “We should totally paint the back door in the laundry room red!”. Greg just looked at me like I was crazy. I’m not sure if it’s because he questioned the color choice, or if he was about to kill me for wanting to pick up a paint brush again so soon! I also really like the giant clock to the right of the door. I actually had the same one hanging in my apartment in college, but I sold it in a yard sale a few years back thinking it wasn’t my style anymore. I was wrong. The man who bought it said he was going to put it in his barn for his cows. As I reluctantly took his $5, I thought to myself, “Cows? Really?”

Well thought-out spaces like this sometimes makes me want to forfeit my big office for a closet space. I’m a firm believer in that you can make a functional office out of any space, no matter how small or awkward, and I think this makeshift workstation is a perfect example. It’s almost like a little treasure box of productive and useful items! I really like how the strategically-mounted glass-front cabinets to the right create a nice, easy-to-reach storage area in the tiny space. The wall-mount light, magnetic inspiration board, small chandelier, and black and white wallpapered wall are the icing on the cake!

What I LOVE about this room is how it’s divided into different zones: dining + homework area (with a window seat!), a reading nook (with lots of natural light), a tv-watching area (complete with a spunky orange couch), and a flex storage space in the corner (with extra seating). Even though it was created as a show piece, the room looks totally livable and real. Refreshing, isn’t it?

So, how about you… Have you seen the new Ikea catalog yet? Have you found any favorite new pieces?

Btw: Sign up to get a paper copy of the 2012 Ikea Catalog here. For you iPad users out there, you MUST download the *free* IKEA catalog app. It’s very sleek and full of iPad awesomness. Check it out here.

michelle
    August 10, 2011 at 11:14 am

HAHA That’s so funny about the cows. I’m sure that made you want to laugh AND get your clock back!

I love the new Ikea catalog as well. They just keep getting better and better.

Leah
    August 10, 2011 at 11:18 am

I like every single thing in the Hemnes collection these days. Especially the ones with the glass doors.

I’m new to your blog (found you via Pinterest) and I’m loving every single entry! Can’t wait to see what you do with your master bedroom. I’m working on mine right now and am stuck. Looking forward to inspiration!

hannah
    August 10, 2011 at 11:58 am

Me too! Pretty much the same rooms popped out at me when I went through the catalog. haha 🙂

Irene
    August 10, 2011 at 12:06 pm

I’m still waiting to get my catalog in the mail. So excited. Looks like they’ve definitely improved it a bit.

Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove
    August 10, 2011 at 1:50 pm

I am all sorts of crazy over this new IKEA catalog. My fiance and I have already decided that post wedding we are just going to go crazy in the store. I can’t wait 🙂 They have so many new things that I am in love with.

Lacey
    August 10, 2011 at 10:27 pm

I haven’t got my catalog yet!! I can not wait for it to get here. So glad you showed us some favorites… that might hold me over a bit.

Viv
    August 11, 2011 at 1:43 pm

We were in IKEA last week. Love that place and never get tired of walking through their store! I enjoy adding TOUCHES of IKEA to our home. They can go as far as your imagination can take you and that is always fun:). Sorry about your clock!

KYLIE S
    August 11, 2011 at 1:57 pm

My apartment would be lost without IKEA. I really like the office space you featured. Loving your blog:)

Gina B
    August 11, 2011 at 2:04 pm

I have that clock….I’m keeping mine! LOL! Great story about the cows:)

Meesh
    August 11, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Ikea never fails to deliver! Haven’t got my catalogue (yeah, that’s Canadian spelling!) yet. Stumbled here, and putting you on my RSS feed!:)

Jessica @ Decor Adventures
    August 12, 2011 at 12:42 pm

I’m waiting for my catalog to arrive, any second now I expect it! I also like that first room, the colors are soothing and it does look comfy you are right.

I’m planning a trip there on Monday for some items, it’s always fun!

Alycia Wicker
    August 12, 2011 at 3:32 pm

You know, I thought the exact same thing when I picked up the IKEA catalog… looky here… these look like real rooms people could live in. They did a real nice job this time.

Natalie
    August 13, 2011 at 2:47 pm

I felt the exact same way about the new IKEA catalog! The front picture is my favorite. The wall color is lovely, and although the space is clearly quite small, it feels cozy, not crowded. Thanks for sharing! 🙂

August 16, 2011 at 11:22 pm

I love the teal and red laundry room/mud room/whatever it is too. The color scheme is my all-time fav and I want to use it somewhere in our house. You said your laundry room is painted that color and I looked all over and couldn’t find any mention of the name/brand of the color you used. Can you share? Thank you!:)

Kristen
    August 16, 2011 at 11:28 pm

My friend and I went to Ikea last week which prompted a garage sale 2 days later selling all the furniture that wasn’t “smart” and utilizing the space we have. We went back and purchased what we want to make our homes work for us. Tomorrow will be my forth Ikea trip in 14 days and Ikea is 2 hours away from me. My husband really liked Ikea the first time we went but now he is pretty much over it. Lol