Currently Loving

PICKING OUT A NEW FAVORITE

picker sisters arrow light before

The other day my mom called to tell me about a new show on Lifetime I “HAD to watch” called Picker Sisters. At first, it sounded like a version of American Pickers – which, I’ve got to be honest, I’ve never really been able to get into. On the other hand, outside of HGTV, my mom isn’t necessarily what you would call a “TV watcher”, and she even called me back later that day to make sure I set the TiVo. So I decided to check it out. Because mom said so.

To sum up my opinion of Pickers Sisters in one word: addicting.

Here’s the rundown: The show follows interior designers and best friends Tracy Hutson and Tanya McQueen (you might recognize them from ABC’s Extreme Makeover: Home Edition) as they travel cross country looking for what some would consider “junk” to transform into one-of-a-kind pieces for their home decor “pop-up shop” in Los Angeles, I-10. I’m not talking about “Oh, let’s take this old wagon wheel and make it a coffee table”. No. We’re talking big, crazy, home decor pieces that pack a good punch made out of what most people call “junk”.

For example… in episode two, they find this crate of chain at an old sugar mill in Louisiana. They end up buying the entire 1,500 pound box for $250 (apparently 17 cents a pound is good for scrap metal)…

Once they got the crate back to LA, they have their business partner/friend/left brain/contractor, Allen, go to work on their vision. After a lot of strength and ingenuity (that stuff is heeeeavy), they came up with an awesome, one-of-a-kind coffee table…

After $250 for the chain, $200 for materials and labor, and a sale price of $1,200; they’re looking at a profit of $750. Not bad!

I don’t want to show you guys too much because I don’t want to spoil the show for you! But I must show you one of my favorite ultra quirky pieces… They found this old marquee light in someone’s yard and the man ended up giving it to them for free…

They came up with the awesome idea of replacing the wiring and removing the metal front, replacing it with an acrylic photo …

They took the marquee back to LA, thought up a design plan, let Allen do his magic, and $100 later, it’s in their showroom (with a price tag of $1,100).

Isn’t that cool?! Okay, so not everyone has room for a gigantic yellow arrow light in their living room (though I could totally see this in a lofty, quirky living room) but what I love about this show is that what the they do with “junk” can be applied on a small scale projects around our house as well. It makes me want to take a drive down the country roads around here (by the way, check out their tips and tricks for “pickin'”Β here).

On top of coming up with crazy awesome pieces, their funny, “classy cowgirl” banter is fun to watch, and they totally seem like the type of girls you’d like to hang out go “pickin'” with. I think we’d be BFFs. Just sayin’. They are only 3 episodes it’s already made it to my “keep until I delete” list on our TiVo. That’s TiVo code for “it better not be deleted, or else!”

So go set your DVRs to record Picker Sisters. Tuesdays on Lifetime. Go ahead. Go do it now. I promise you’ll never look at a piece of rusty scrap metal the same way again.

So we’re curious, have any of you been “pickin'”?

By the way… For those of you not in the States, check it out on theΒ Lifetime website here. You can also download it on iTunes here (the first episode is free!).

All images property of Lifetime Entertainment Services, LLC.

Melanie
    August 12, 2011 at 9:52 am

I’ve never even heard of this show before, but I’ll have to check it out.

I love American Pickers! I would take their job any day! It definitely beats sitting at a desk for 8 hours a day. πŸ™‚

hannah
    August 12, 2011 at 10:05 am

I love that show! I especially loved the motorcycle console table they did in this week’s episode. Awesome! And I’m with you about American Pickers. I’ve never been a fan but I Sister Pickers is an absolute favorite of mine now.

kathi
    August 12, 2011 at 10:06 am

I love that I can set my DVR from my phone – just set up a series recording…this looks like it will be a new fave! thanks!

AMY
    August 12, 2011 at 10:33 am

Why have I not seen this show yet? Setting my DVR now! Thanks for sharing πŸ˜€

Alexis
    August 12, 2011 at 10:37 am

Ohh this looks amazing. Never heard of it but totally up my alley too! Great find – I can see how it could be addicting,can’t wait to dive into some episodes.

Dana
    August 12, 2011 at 1:13 pm

i love this post because my dad did the EXACT same thing. he called me 3 times and left a message saying i HAD to watch this new show on–the history channel? after i googled it, i saw it’s a lifetime show and when i went to set my dvr, i saw they were playing different “new” episodes of it on both A&E AND lifetime. maybe it’s on the history channel too? basically i’m saying keep your eyes peeled for it on all of these channels!

Stephanie
    August 13, 2011 at 12:10 am

Well…I did watch an episode and I am going to be Debbie Downer here, I didn’t like it. I thought the girls were wearing the most inappropiate clothes for pickin, made me embarrassed to be a woman the way the represented us in the pickin world. (not that I am a picker) And they drove me batty with their constant chatter. I found myself fast forwarding through a lot of it just to get to the end to see what they came up with.

I like American Pickers much better. I thought these girls were going to give Mike and Frank a run for their money, but they were no where near their caliber.

Gina B
    August 13, 2011 at 3:32 am

OMG! I saw that show for the first time a couple of nights ago! Looooooooved it! Loved the PARADISE sign they made and the two chairs made of horse collars I believe. Worth the watch, everyone!

Pia Klay
    August 13, 2011 at 3:37 am

Picker Sisters? Yes!ξ€Ž Great show! I want an “Allen” at my house! Lol

Natalie
    August 13, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Wow, that table is amazing! Now I want to go watch the show…

P.S. I just clicked on your House Tour and your home is just beautiful! πŸ™‚

Jessica
    August 13, 2011 at 11:40 pm

I was actually watching American Pickers when this show came on after. I loved it. But, I totally forgot about it after the first two episodes. Thank you for reminding me. πŸ˜€

Jodie Lynch
    August 14, 2011 at 11:24 pm

Definitely have my DVR going for this one. Way too fun.

Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove
    August 15, 2011 at 10:11 am

What a fun idea for a show! I love how that coffee table turned out! I sort of wish I could do something like that.

June 8, 2012 at 2:08 am

I simply could not leave your web site prior to suggesting that I really loved the usual info a person supply for your visitors? Is going to be again incessantly to check out new posts.