DIY Decor Living Room

ONE ROLL OF CONTACT PAPER LATER…

contact paper window film

Way back in the day (technically, back in October), we removed the window panes from the two back doors (read the post here).

By the way, that’s my dad helping me with the windows back in October : )

Fast forward ten-ish months and the windows are still naked. No window treatments. No blinds. Naked. Until the kitchen is finished, we don’t want to do anything too permanent or expensive. So I guess you could say we’ve been in window-treatment-limbo.Β The back door in the living room faces our neighbors’ backyard. Even though their deck is a pretty good distance away, sometimes we felt like we’re giving them a front row seat to everything going in Casa de Brown. On top of that, at night, the window of dark nothingness kind of freaked me out…

To cover up the “scary dark nothingness”, we’ve resorted to covering the window with craft paper, wrapping paper, and even pages from magazines.Β A more attractive alternative was well overdue. We came up with several low-cost options, but ultimately decided to give the ‘ole contact paper method a try.

At first, we thought about trying out this technique (via Design*Sponge) using a paint pen on contact paper for a detailed, artsy look…

Even though it’s a very cool technique, we want to be able to see out the window a little bit, rather than covering the entire window. We also wanted something a little more graphic yet subtle. So we decided to design and cut our own contact paper pattern.

I played around with a few different patterns, keeping in mind I would have to cut each peace and place it on the window by hand. In other words, simplicity was key. I then came across this Moroccan-Vintage-esque tile on Pinterest (here). Not only would it make a dreamy backsplash for a kitchen, but I loved the overall shape. I imported the image over into Photoshop, traced it, then started to lay out my window. I drew everything to scale so I could see how big I wanted each piece to be. This also helped me know how many pieces I would have to cut.

tile inspiration

I printed the pattern on a piece of card stock to make a stencil (Click here to download the stencil!). With my DIY stencil, contact paper, scissors, and fine-tip Sharpee, and the Doris Day & Rock Hudson box set in hand, I hunkered down for a long night of tracing, cutting, and movie-watching.

contact paper window supplies

It was tedious, but I felt really proud of myself when I had all 76 perfectly-cut stickers – enough for both back doors.

From this point on, the process is pretty self-explanatory. The contact-paper-as-window-film concept isn’t rocket science and has been done a bajillion times, I’m sure. But here are a few things I wish I would have known before I got started:

• When tracing the stencil onto the contact paper, draw on the paper side, not contact paper itself. Yeah, I know. I had a total blonde-moment.
  • Rather than making a lot of little, short cuts when cutting out your design, keep the scissors moving. This will give you a much cleaner line.
  • Make sure you clean the window as well as humanly possible before starting to applying the pieces to the window. After you finish applying each row, wipe off any finger prints you left on the window with a dry cloth before you start on the next row.
  • When peeling the contact paper backing, do it slowly. If the contact paper creases or wrinkles the slightest bit, it will show up on the window, no matter how much you try to smooth it out.
  • If you have a bubble, don’t try to rub it out too hard. When I first started, I would get a bubble and freak out and try to rub it out really hard and quickly. That always ended up with a crease so I had to do it over. I later found that rubbing out the bubble lightly and slowly worked much better.

When it was all said and done, and my hands had a chance to rest, Greg and I were both really happy with the end result….

contact paper window film

We were actually kind of surprised how non-DIY it looked. If we end up loving it after the kitchen is installed, we might look into a more permanent application of the same design, like etching.

We’re also digging how it adds a layer of unexpected pattern to the not-finished-yet living room…

living room

In case you have a naked window, and you’re wanting to try this out for yourself, I put together a handy dandy PDF for you to download – complete with the pattern template and the tips listed above. Click here to download!

**If you have any questions, be sure to check out the comments on this post.**

Gina
    December 31, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Love everything about this and am definitely going to try in our new home. I have a question though…does it matter if you apply the contact paper to the inside glass or outside glass? Wasn’t sure? Thanks! Can’t wait to try!

December 31, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Thanks! I’d definitely do the inside of the glass so it isn’t exposed to moisture or harsh weather. Hope that helps!!

mars
    January 4, 2013 at 3:43 pm

gorgeous! love how this turned out.

Dawn
    January 7, 2013 at 9:59 pm

Where did you find the contact paper? I’ve search for adhesive contact paper at several local stores and I’ve had no luck finding any.

January 7, 2013 at 10:53 pm

I bought it at Target, near the cleaning supplies section. It’s called “Clear” even though it’s technically frosted. Hope that helps!

Rhonda
      April 11, 2014 at 11:54 am

It is also called shelf paper/contact paper. you can find it in the kitchen section of Walmart also. you can get different solid color and larger sheets from ACE hardware. they have it on rolls and you take as much as you need. I love contact paper we used it as a temp to do etching on glass. I use it in my cricket instead of vinyl to do appliques on walls for holidays and then remove them or put them on wax paper and save them for next year.

Kim {Pinspired Home}
      June 14, 2014 at 10:08 am

I get mine at Dollar Tree. It’s with the shelf liners.

Heather
      October 20, 2015 at 11:27 am

I just want to make sure I’m understanding this correctly…the clear contact paper will appear frosted once applied to the glass? Should it be matte instead of glossy? The reason I’m asking is because I have only been able to find CLEAR contact paper.

Thanks for your help! I’m eager to get started.

Signed,

A fellow graphic designer AND decorator

October 28, 2015 at 10:02 am

Hello, fellow graphic designer! Yeah, I just bought “clear” contact paper and it was frosted looking. There wasn’t a matte or glossy option at the time, just standard clear.

Leda
    January 13, 2013 at 1:19 am

Love this idea so much! I actually want to do this on a mirrored surface in my room. One question though, how is the upkeep? Do you did that you’re getting dirt build up around the edges of the pattern or is it fairly easy to clean?? Thank you!

January 13, 2013 at 10:56 am

We haven’t had any issues with dirty edges or anything. Actually, it looks just as good as the first day we put it on!

Katie
    January 17, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Does it come off easily? If I were to put it up in a rented home, could I remove it without it even looking like anything was there?

January 17, 2013 at 5:01 pm

With our experience, it doesn’t cause any permanent damage. Just be sure you have some Goo Off on hand (the industrial stuff at Home Depot / Lowe’s works really well) to get the residue off. Hope that helps!

karen
    January 21, 2013 at 5:51 pm

I learned a few tips from a woman who does vinyl signs:

After the glass is clean, spray a mist of water with a dash of dish soap in it. This will be moved as the paper makes contact. Not sure how it works in this case!

When you are pulling off the backong…or painter tape in other cases; keep it flush to the surface as possible.

If you get stuck with a bubble you can always pop it and work the rest out. Love this idea!

January 21, 2013 at 9:34 pm

Thanks for the tips!

Jennifer
    February 1, 2013 at 9:33 pm

I am having one heck of a time having successful results with this. I cleaned the windows (with vinegar and water) completely dried and then applied the contact paper. I have tried with water and without and in my opinion I think using water to apply it works better with less bubbles however, I now have what appears to be a haze or streaks? I have gotten all the bubbles out but can’t figure out how to correct this issue. Could it still be that it is a little damp between the paper and the glass? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I am at a loss on how to correct this and it is driving me nuts! Thank you in advance!

February 4, 2013 at 10:33 am

Hmm… Are you using clear contact paper? Even though it’s called “clear”, it’s actually frosted looking. I didn’t use water when I applied it to the window – just pealed the backing and slowly stuck it to the window (slowly to prevent bubbles).

If anyone has any tips for Jennifer, feel free to chime in!! : )

Natasha
    February 10, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Hi, after you trace the design, is it the whole design you cut out or jist around the edges? If its the whole shape, is that what i place on t window or do i place the sheet that i cut the shapes out of. I hope i made sense. Thanks

February 10, 2013 at 10:20 pm

It made sense, haha! You put the whole shape on the window. Hope that helps!

Laura
    February 10, 2013 at 10:43 pm

FYI: for leftover adhesive, you can also use lighter fluid – even on furniture. My mom bought an expensive wooden dining room set years ago and it came with stickers, wth? They told her to use lighter fluid. It’s greasy and adhesive comes right off with no damage.

Tomiko
      September 18, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Olive Oil works too!

Natasha
    February 11, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Thanks ashley.

Natasha
    February 12, 2013 at 10:38 am

So the see through glass trim around the edges, will that look like that jist from cutting out the shape or did you have to do something extra.

February 12, 2013 at 11:36 am

Yep, just cut out the shape and the “trim” around the edges will come into form as you place each piece on the window. Hope that helps!

Natasha
    February 12, 2013 at 10:47 pm

Ok, thanks alot.

Peggy S
    February 25, 2013 at 9:00 am

I wonder if anyone has tried to use the Cricut machine to cut out the contact paper? I don’t have the patience to make that many cuts…Will research! Great look! Thanks for sharing!

Kymberlee
      September 1, 2013 at 3:02 pm

I used the cricut to do this. I used the Cricut mini elegant on line cartridge (exclusive to the mini) This project was definitely advanced. My window is 57″X57″….Huge! It has taken a lot of patience and breaks, but looks awesome!! Thanks for the inspiration Ashley. If you do it how I did I highly recommend cutting out a card stock print and placing that ahead of where you are going to create a spacer. I taped it on and would put the contact paper version between the existing one I had already done and the card stock. I also made the spaces way to small between them the first few and had to take them off and redo. Not enough room for error. I also used a squeegee to avoid air bubbles. If there are any left later you can poke a tiny hole with exacto and push out. Better than peeling back the contact paper, as it will show your finger prints.

Chelsea
      November 14, 2013 at 12:10 pm

I have to tell you, I used the Silhouette Cameo and it’s probably the only reason I had the patience to finish the project (kudos to you ladies who did it by hand!!!). It worked like a CHARM! And was SO FAST!

Peggy S
    February 25, 2013 at 9:05 am

This looks like an excellent tutorial for using contact paper in the Cricut!

Renee
    March 14, 2013 at 10:59 pm

In our lake house kitchen we have just clear window glass panels in each cupboard door. I wanted to cut some stencils with my cricut, stick them down and then put glass etching over the stuck on patterns. But then I have found some spray Frosted Glass by Rust-Oleum that I think that I would like to try. My question is; have you tried this method? This would be a permanent application. I love the glass door that has the different window panes. I would like to have the pattern that has the round ball like flowers on the long stems. Is this something you cut out on your own or is there a patter n for it somewhere? Thanks for sharing, great blog!

March 18, 2013 at 11:29 am

Since we were just looking for a temporary solution, we haven’t used any frosted glass products or anything like that. We actually still have the original Contact Paper design on the window and it still looks as good as the day we put it up. As far as different patterns, you could always check out stencils at your local craft store and use that as your template.

Kelli
      April 9, 2013 at 1:56 pm

I used the Frosted Glass spray by Rust-Oleum on our front door windows. I really liked the way it looked when we first applied it, but after the first cold snap (the windows are not insulated), a strange pattern showed up, almost like a crackle finish. I also have glass on our back door and plan to use this method as a MORE permanent solution. Who’da thunk?

April 9, 2013 at 2:49 pm

For us, we’ve had this method on our windows for well over a year now, and it STILL looks just as good as the day we applied the Contact Paper (but note that we don’t have kids, haha). I’d say go for it. If you don’t like it, you can easily take it down : )

Brooke
    March 18, 2013 at 10:10 pm

I dabble in interior design when I am not grading papers or writing lesson plans :). I have used the frosted etching spray on 3 window projects I have done for clients. I also did 2 transom windows on either side of my front door. To start, I cut a template from card stock and have used various sized painters or masking tape to make lines. (I chose a diamond pattern.) Since you aren’t keeping the card stock pattern taped to the window, I only made 2 templates. (I enlisted my mom’s help and taught her the process as I worked to complete her French front doors.) I taped off the pattern working across the center of the window first and then down to make sure it was even, centered, and straight to the eye. Just an FYI…If your window has individual panes, I recommend measuring a pane and then creating a shape/size that will allow at least 3 repeats of the pattern within the pane, otherwise it looks a little off. After taping the entire window area in my pattern, I then taped newspaper to the outside casing of the window frame and door to make sure any “overspray” did not get on them. Depending on the desired frosty-ness, you can spray on another coat evenly once the first has been given about 45 minutes to dry. I left the tape and newspaper up for a couple hours just to make sure it had cured and completely dried. I removed the newspaper and then carefully began pulling the strands of tape away at 90 degree angles from the window. My first window frosting project was done back in 2004 at our “started home” and the current homeowners still have it up :). It cleans great with a little bit of soapy water, don’t scrub too hard though. In my current house, fingers and nose prints from my kiddos have kissed the windows and are always easily removed!!

I do love your contact paper idea though! Your chosen design pattern is awesome….makes my diamonds look boring πŸ˜‰

March 18, 2013 at 10:36 pm

Thanks so much for your info! This will be really helpful for everyone!!

Angie
      February 7, 2014 at 7:33 pm

That sounds like a much easier solution to my problem! Can you tell me where you bought the frosted etching spray? I have been in search for it! Thank you so much!
      Angie

Christina
    April 3, 2013 at 12:08 pm

I’m just curious as to how you got each piece perfectly placed? Did you use a ruler? And if so how many centimeters did you put in between the pieces? I guess what I’m getting at is how did it come out perfectly spaced on the window?

April 3, 2013 at 12:48 pm

I used a small, folded piece of paper that was about a quarter of an inch wide as a “guide” to know how far away to put the next piece on the window. As long as you keep the same space between the top and the bottom on each piece, you’re good to go and everything will even out and end up perfectly spaced. Hope that helps!

Rebecca
    April 10, 2013 at 9:12 pm

I love your idea. Can you think of something similar to do with large windows with muntins between the interior and exterior glass? I have two such oversized windows in the corner of our master bathroom on the main floor of our house. I love the light, but I’m more modest than my husband:)

April 10, 2013 at 10:26 pm

Thanks! If you already have a muntin design, I’d maybe try a solid frosting process to keep the light, but still enjoy the design. Hope that helps!

Dawn
    April 13, 2013 at 12:32 pm

This is prob a dumb question but….do you put the contact paper on the inside of the door or the outside?

April 13, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Not a dumb question : ) They go on the inside to protect the Contact Paper from moisture and the weather.

ann
    April 15, 2013 at 2:04 pm

I am going to do in my bathroom window and take down the blinds. It’s in the shower. Do you think that will work, or too much moisture? Thanks

April 15, 2013 at 4:44 pm

It really depends. I’d suggest putting a little piece of Contact Paper on the window to test it out and see how well it stands up to the moisture. Hope that helps!

Claudinei Oliveira
    April 21, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Hello Jennifer, Hugs from Brazil, my experience is that in the shower, you should take all the moisture from the glass before applying the sticker. after applying the sticker, must wait about two hours for drying. After that the adhesive can suffer the action of moisture and does not come unglued.

Claudinei Oliveira
    April 21, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Hello Jennifer, Hugs from Brazil, my experience is that in the shower, you should take all the moisture from the glass before applying the adhesive. after applying the adhesive, must wait about two hours for drying. After that the adhesive can suffer the action of moisture and does not come unglued.

April 21, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Thanks so much!!

Kathy
    April 21, 2013 at 2:59 pm

This is such a good idea! I’ve had trouble finding just the right pattern of frosted window film, and it never occurred to me to cut out my own shapes!

Judy @ Cleaning Junkie
    April 23, 2013 at 8:24 pm

Thank you for the stencil and for this post! I love your blog and your style πŸ™‚ I did this DIY to my hideous bathroom and even though it’s far from looking pretty, it made a HUGE difference!

Looking forward to more of your DIY’s!

Judy

Libby
    May 31, 2013 at 2:45 pm

I love you idea! And I am doing it today!

Pam
    June 3, 2013 at 10:09 pm

I love this idea. I have a large plate glass window in a bathroom that I need to cover. It is tinted but not enough. Even though it will take forever, I think this is exactly what I need. Thanks for sharing!

Chelsea
    June 28, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Can you think of any other pattern that would repeat itself like this? I was just looking for something different than the Moroccan design for my door with a GIANT piece of glass in the master bedroom of my house. I also dislike the scary dark nothingness that is there and am looking to get rid of it immediately!

June 28, 2013 at 8:05 pm

How about diamonds? If you Google “repeating pattern”, I’m sure you’ll find lots of options. Hope that helps!

Laura
      October 27, 2015 at 1:41 pm

You can also look at different quatrefoil stencils in google images and there might be one you like if this one does not appeal to you.

Natalie Muoio
    July 8, 2013 at 10:48 am

Wow, this looks amazing… So doesn’t look diy’d at all…

Leah
    September 16, 2013 at 2:17 pm

How did you do the spacing and ,a age to keep them all lined up perfectly and straight? I feel like mine would end up with my clear spaces being all messed up! πŸ™‚

September 16, 2013 at 2:30 pm

I used a small, folded piece of paper that was about a quarter of an inch wide as a β€œguide” to know how far away to put the next piece on the window. As long as you keep the same space between the top and the bottom on each piece, you’re good to go and everything will even out and end up perfectly spaced. Hope that helps!

Jolena
    September 29, 2013 at 1:37 am

Where did you start with your first stencil in order to get them lined up? Middle of the window?

Thank you! I love this idea!

September 29, 2013 at 11:18 am

I think I started near the middle/left(ish). I had no idea what I was doing, haha. I’d suggest starting in the middle though : )

Chelsea
    November 14, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Ok – SO EXCITED to post about this! I saw this idea and fell in love with it…specifically because it’s going to cost me $11, and not $250+tax for new inserts. I used the Silhouette Cameo to cut the template provided here and it worked like a breeze!!! Going to start my install tonight – I can’t wait to see the finished product! Thanks so much!

Dena
    January 4, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Hi there! I love this idea! I live in a rental and would love to do this on one of my windows. dpi you think the contact paper would leave a sticky residue?

I found your blog and love it!

thanks so much,
    Dena

January 5, 2014 at 8:34 am

Thanks! I think it depends on the sin, weather, humidity, etc. However, if it does, some GooOff or GooGone should take care if it.

Teri
    January 8, 2014 at 1:35 am

I love this and have spent several hours tonight trying to cut out perfect quatrefoil shapes. Thanks so much for the template! I am also inthe process of repainting and wonder if you can tell me the wall and door colors you used. I planned on bright white for the door, but yours looks a little creamy. And the wall color is exactly what I am looking for. Thanks so much…Hopefully my door will come out as great as yours! ( My scissor hand refused to cut one more shape tonight so will have to wait until tomorow to see.)

January 8, 2014 at 10:28 am

Oh, I know those hand cramps all too well, haha. The wall color is Martha Stewart’s Cobblestone. However, in these photos, it translates a lot lighter than it is. You can always have it lightened or I’d check out her Nimbus Cloud – love that color!

Teri
    January 8, 2014 at 11:11 pm

Thanks so much Ashley! I have one (ojay, two) more questions…did you have any problems getting all the shapes identical? It seems like a no-brainer…print the template, trace the template, cut. But I have a ton of do-overs and still am not ready to attack the window. Also, are all your spaces the exact same distance? Did you measure? Yours looks so perfect!

January 9, 2014 at 9:50 am

I had a few do-overs as well. As long as they’re still the same size, you should be fine. But you want to cut the shapes as exact as possible in order to make sure it all lines up correctly. As long at the space is similar between the the top and bottom of the shapes are the same, it will all even out and look exact in the end. Hope that helps!

Donna
    February 8, 2014 at 9:16 am

They actually sell window film in a variety of patterns & I’ve seen a couple different colors. One color being the same as Ashley’s. It was a little pricey but worth the time saved. As for creases, u can spray glass with cleaner after its been cleaner & apply film. This will allow y to reposition it until ur happy. Then squeegee the bubbles out.

L. Grace Lauer
    March 26, 2014 at 4:41 pm

Ashley,
    Thank you so much for your tutorial. I found it on Pinterest. I wound up doing this in our Master Bath picture window (it only over looked the neighbors house). I created a tutorial video and blog post too. Thank you so much for all the tips and such.

March 26, 2014 at 5:52 pm

So neat! Thanks for sharing! : )

Michelle
    April 6, 2014 at 6:36 pm

Hi All πŸ™‚
    I found your website on a fb post on the Home Organising Made Easy page, and love it! While reading this post and all the replies, I had an idea….
    To make sure each shape is in the right position and is going to be equally spaced, why not use the low-tack sticky tape for painting etc. You could get it a few mm or 1/4″ wide (or however wide you want the gaps between each shape) and if you measure the width & height of the shapes, you could do a horizontal and vertical criss crosses over the window (like a big tic tac toe board). If you space them exactly right, all you’d need to do is line up the top n bottom edges (the straight edges on top n side middle) of the shape, with the top n side edge of the tape. Once youve placed all your shapes on the window, you could gently peel away the straight lines of tape you used to line them up. They should be perfectly lined up πŸ™‚
    This way, you will also be able to make sure your shapes are going to be placed where you want on the glass, before you place them on, n the tapes easy enough to remove n replace if you’re not happy with the placing.
    Hope this all makes sense LOL

Jane
      December 1, 2015 at 8:55 pm

For alignment – we used some painters tape to make a grid on the “other side” of the glass.

January 4, 2016 at 9:29 am

That’s a perfect idea!

Jillayne
    April 8, 2014 at 4:01 pm

Thank you! I just finished our front door and it looks amazing!

April 8, 2014 at 6:52 pm

Yay!!

Christina
    June 30, 2014 at 3:16 am

This looks awesome! I had a question, how did you make sure to put every piece in the right order and straight? Is there a technique?

July 1, 2014 at 5:25 pm

Jodie
    August 22, 2014 at 2:31 pm

Hello, I am soooo happy I found this!! We are building a home right now, still in framing. Went last night and saw there is a window in the ‘water closet’!!!!!!! I have a few more months, so I am going to start cutting:). Love what you do! Keep the ideas coming:)!!!

Jessica
    September 19, 2014 at 1:33 pm

I have a question for you, I want to do this for my front door, however, my front door is in sections. It has an arch at the top and comes down in a rectangular bottom. each sections is cut smaller though by wood. Does this make sense? If not I can try and find a picture. My questions is, do you have a better design idea for me? or a way of still doing this? I love this idea!

September 26, 2014 at 2:28 pm

I’d maybe leave the arch empty (assuming people can’t see through it anyway because of the height?) and try a diamond pattern on the bottom. You could always try a few of these shapes and see if you like it. They remove very easily! Hope that’s some help to you!

Jayde
    September 24, 2014 at 12:16 am

Saw this last week and thought I would give it a go. It was so time consuming, but I LOVE the overall look! I loved it so much, I even blogged out it hahaha

Kim
    June 18, 2015 at 3:04 pm

This is an awesome idea!!! Now I have to decide where to try it at. Thanks for the tips, especially using a spacer in between shapes and the comment where this design looks better than diamonds because now I don’t have to keep wondering if the diamonds would look better!! Now also have to check out ACE hardware to find some colors for the holidays!!!!!

ac
    December 30, 2015 at 1:43 pm

Very nice!

Adrian N.
    March 8, 2016 at 3:23 pm

Love this idea. Thinking about doing it on our sliding glass door for some privacy. Does anyone know how it holds up with sunlight shining on them for so long (will the sun loosen the adhesive) and can it be wiped down with window cleaner if it gets smudges?

July 1, 2016 at 1:27 am

Ours still looks great – all these years later. I’ve used all-purpose window cleaner on it several times without any issue.

1 2 3