Holiday

FALL IN A BOX

fall wreath

Last night, we decided it was time to break out the fall decorations from the attic. Greg went up in the attic to get the box, and I laid an old coverlet on the dining room table so we could unload the loot…

As we unboxed everything… Okay, this is going to sound really cheesy and corny, but it’s true… we both noticed that for the first time, the house felt 100% OURS. It sounds kind of crazy since we’ve been living here for about 11 months now, but I think it’s because this is the first season we’re decorating for, added to the fact that we actually got our stuff out of our attic. When we decorated for Christmas, the tree came right off the moving truck and into the family room, and it just wasn’t the same.

Another thing that crossed our minds was, when we lived in our apartment, it seemed like we had a pretty hefty amount of fall decorations. But now, with 1000+ additional square feet, it feels like we have very little. By the way, it seems like someone (namely, me) has a particular love for pumpkins, you think?!

Speaking of pumpkins, I bought these white pumpkin candles from Pottery Barn two years ago. Unfortunately, they didn’t do too well in the attic. Obviously, the super hot Virginia summer was too much for them.

When we lived in the apartment, we had a small climate controlled storage unit that we used to store seasonal decorations, keepsakes, etc., so we didn’t have to think about stuff like that. Shortly after we moved, we put everything in the attic and totally forgot about these being in the fall decorations box. When I bought them a couple of years ago, I planned on lighting them at some point, but they were just too pretty to use up! I’m thinking I’ll try to repair them with a flame-friendly paint, then go ahead and use them up this year. It will be interesting to see how they burn. They might end up being really pretty – especially the large one.

As for Bentley, he has a rather odd fascination with Mr. & Mrs. Pilgrim…

After telling him “no”, about a hundred times, I put them back in the box thinking he would forget about them. But no, he just decided to pout and make me feel bad for crushing his hopes of having a set of Pilgrim toys…

Even though I like to keep seasonal decorating simple and uncluttered, we’re definitely in need of a few more things. Until then, I wanted to start with hanging the wreath on the front door.

After a closer look, I noticed that some of the berries had lost their paint…

Probably another victim of the hot, Virginia summer. No worries though! I had a quick fix in mind…

Yep, nail polish! Luckily, thanks to Chanel, I had a color that was really close to the dark berries. A dab here and a little dab there, the reath was as good as new!

Now, we needed a wreath hanger. We found this clear, plastic one that was in the box with our pumpkin collec–I mean… fall decorations:

The cheap plastic hanger didn’t look very nice on our red front door, but unlike the nicer, wrought iron hanger we have in one of our Christmas decor boxes, the plastic one actually fit over the door. So, the plastic one worked better; it just didn’t look better. Greg went out to the shed to see what we had, and we has some Oil Rubbed Bronze spray paint left over from when I painted the planters for the back door. Bingo! This plastic wreath hanger was the perfect excuse to use some more of my favorite spray paint!

It actually looks like real oil rubbed bronze! An hour or so of drying time later (I know, it probably needed to cure, but I couldn’t wait!), it was on the door.

That about wraps up phase one of our fall decorating! Hopefully we’ll be making a trip to the pumpkin patch as soon as this rainy weather clears up, and we’ll definitely be making a trip to a store or two to make sure our fall decorations don’t just look like a pumpkin collection anymore!

Have you started decorating for fall yet? Is a fall wreath first on your list, too? And please tell me I’m not the only one with a pumpkin obsession…?

Andrea
    September 26, 2011 at 8:50 am

Yep, wreath is on the door. And my front door is now red.

September 26, 2011 at 9:02 am

So pretty, Andrea! Love the Cinnamon Cherry color : )
      Thanks for sharing!

Jennifer
    September 26, 2011 at 9:15 am

I have a pumpkin obsession as well! Every year I say I am not going to buy anymore pumpkins and every year pottery barn brings out new pumpkins I just have to have. 🙂

Melanie @ Mailbox Journey
    September 26, 2011 at 9:42 am

The wreath looks great & the newly ORB’ed hanger.

Christin
    September 26, 2011 at 10:30 am

Love the wreath! And the plastic / oil robbued bronze wreath hanger looks great. While my hubby and I moved to a new apt in May, we’re still getting used to the pace and finding out where everything goes. I just started getting out some regular decor items I keep out year-round, but they are just kind of out and around. They aren’t in their “homes” yet. It’s possible not everything will be able to be out and I may just have to have things in storage until we move to a bigger home in a few years. I REALLY want to deocrate for fall though! I may have to do a bit of organizing and see what I can do when I have soem free time his week. 🙂

Katie
    September 26, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Yesss, I hung my wreath and bought mums + pumpkins for the front stoop yesterday. Yay for fall! P.S. Love your doormat — where’s it from?

September 26, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Thanks! I got it at West Elm. It’s actually listed as a bath mat, and I bought two of them for the hall bathroom. But they look more like small rugs rather than “bath mats”. So I’ve been moving them all over the house bc I love them so much, haha! Who knows where they’ll be next, might even end up back in the hall bathroom.

Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove
    September 26, 2011 at 1:46 pm

I’m slowly starting to decorate and it makes me so happy. I have to find my wreath but I’m so excited to put it on our door!

Amanda
    September 26, 2011 at 8:08 pm

I love your wreath! Where did you get it from? I’d like one like it!

Also, ORB (yep, YHL!) works soo good. And makes that plastic look real.

September 26, 2011 at 11:52 pm

Thanks! I got it at Crate & Barrel a few years ago. I wish they’d keep things around longer – or bring them back every year like Pottery Barn’s white pumpkin candles.

Yes, “ORB” is quickly becoming a staple around here!

Amy @ the Happy Tulip
    September 26, 2011 at 10:31 pm

My wreath is up on my door and I have a few pumpkins lying around the house.

If my husband let me though, I’d buy way too many mini white pumpkins and cover the house with them!

Erin
    September 27, 2011 at 8:53 pm

I love those PB pumpkin candles! I just love white pumpkins in general… And I love your use of Chanel polish as a touch up. 😀

My wreath is sitting next to the front door waiting for me to hang it. I can’t fit a wreath hanger over my new door, so I need to go get some ribbon and do the ol’ Martha Stewart trick.

September 28, 2011 at 11:58 am

Btw, I started burning the PB pumpkin candles and I must say, they burn VERY well. Once the flame gets about a half an inch down into the pumpkin, the pumpkin actually glows! It’s so pretty!

Andrea
    September 28, 2011 at 1:29 am

This post has several things I love – wreaths, fall and a red door!! Touching up with nail polish is genius!

Katie from Sew Woodsy
    September 28, 2011 at 7:48 am

My husband and I went through the same decorating struggles you guys are facing. The first year we were in our house we kind of went shopping like crazy for decor, and then made ore and bought more the following year. THis year (12 bins later) I think we have enough to get us through Fall; Halloween/Thanksgiving! 🙂 I live in Florida so its impossible to store candles in the attic. I store all my candles (for all holidays) in one large box in our guest bedroom. Hope you’ll post decor photos!

Leanne @ Strewth Tiger
    September 28, 2011 at 10:31 am

I truly hope that there is never a 12 step program for Oil Rubbed Bronze Spray addicts. I DON”T WANT TO BE CURED!!!

Check out my Full Circle Home Giveaway!

Staci @ My Friend Staci
    September 28, 2011 at 11:46 am

Bentley is TOO cute.

September 28, 2011 at 11:50 am

He said, “thank you!” ; )

Krista from KJ and CO.
    September 28, 2011 at 9:10 pm

That is hysterically funny!! Chanel nail polish to fix the wreath. Smarth thinking.

I’m waiting to pull out our decor since I seem to only have Halloween stuff instead of fall.

Irene
    September 29, 2011 at 4:05 pm

I love the wreath and the holder.