Currently Loving Living Room

SEARCHING FOR “THE ONE”

crate and barrel petrie sofa

We have a love-hate relationship with the couch and loveseat in the living room. They were perfect for our first place, but now, the beige fabric sticks out like a sore thumb against the gray walls and feels like a speed bump on the road to the style we’re hoping to accomplish one day. It’s also starting to look kinda saggy here and there – though that can probably be easily fixed with new cushion inserts. Hmm… I’m putting that on the to-do list as I type! On the love side of the love-hate relationship, the comfy, lounge-like, perfect-for-movie-nights depth is at the top of the list. We also like the height of the back – not too high, not too low – perfect for a sofa table.

Since the living room is open to the kitchen, we want to wait until the kitchen is done before we make any big living room furniture purchases. Btw, speaking of the kitchen… we are overdue for a kitchen update and we promise one will be coming your way asap, but heads up: you haven’t missed much. At this point, we don’t even know if having a loveseat will leave enough of a walk-space between the future kitchen peninsula and the loveseat.

With all of this in mind, we’ve been casually keeping our eyes open for “the one”. So think of this post as kind of like when you aren’t planning on having kids anytime soon, but you’re already thinking of baby names. Please don’t tell me I’m the only one that’s crazy like that… Anyone?

As for the criteria for “the one”, here’s what we’re looking for:

• A square-ish design (no rounded arms)
  • Available in colors other than beige
  • Pull-out sleeper sofa isn’t a necessity, but a plus
  • Around 34″ to 36″ high
  • Between 42″ and 47″ deep
  • Comfy… yet tailored.
  • Sturdy and will hold it’s shape

We currently have five favorites – which all, for the most part, fit the criteria. As for the fabric choice, we’ll cross the “fabric bridge” when we come to it. Here are the contenders…

First up, we have the Comfort Square Upholstered Sofa from Pottery Barn. It looks similar to what we have now (all of the contenders do, actually) but a little less contemporary and more classic – which we really like! Also, it comes in 80 (Eighty!!) fabric choices and is available in a sleeper sofa version as well. As far as the cons go, I’m slightly concerned about it holding its shape over time. I’ve heard that Pottery Barn sofas start to look “baggy” after some use. I’m not sure if this is actually the case, though. We’ve never purchased any upholstered furniture from PB; only “hard” pieces (which we’ve been more than happy with!). So, if we decide this is “the one”, we’ll definitely look into that before purchasing.

Next up, we have Ethan Allen’s Monterey Sofa. This has been a favorite of mine ever since they came out with it a few years ago (see the full photo here). In case we do have room for a loveseat, and want to go with a matching one, this style is also available in a loveseat version. Though it is an extra cost, I like the button tufting on the back cushions. I’m not sure if the skirt is a little too traditional for our house, but at Ethan Allen, everything is custom, so I’m sure that can be taken away if we didn’t like it.

Ahh, Pottery Barn’s Stewart Sofa. Ever since I noticed this new addition on the Pottery Barn website a few weeks ago, I’ve been kind of obsessed with it. It’s deep, the perfect height, looks comfy, comes in a bunch of fabric options, and has a distinct, tailored look to it. It also has coordinating (but not too matchy-matchy) chairs.

Then we have the Petrie Sofa from Crate and Barrel. Okay, so this one is a little more on the modern side of things but I’m pretty sure we can cozy it up with pillows, a rug, and such. As far as comfort, we’ve sat on it inside the store and surprisingly enough, it was a lot more comfortable than it looks. And it’s called “Petrie”… being huge Dick Van Dyke Show fans, it almost seems destined to be in our house! I’m sure Rob and Laura would approve.

Last, but certainly not least, is one that Greg and I both whole-heartily agree on: Restoration Hardware’s Easton Upholstered Sectional. Okay, so we might not have room for a sectional, but it comes in a sofa version too! It comes in two depths (“Classic” and “Luxe”) and a bazillion fabric choices. You can’t really tell in the photo, but it also has antiqued brass nail head trim. This sofa had us at “hello”.

So that’s where we are at when it comes to living room furniture. Do you “shop” for furniture way in advance? Please tell me I’m not crazy, ha ha…

PS We’re going to be doing a Facebook-only giveaway next week, so if you aren’t a fan already, go “like” us on Facebook!

Oh, and by the way… we just noticed that tomorrow is our 1-year blogiversary! How crazy is that?! Time has FLOWN by!

annabelvita
    September 19, 2011 at 9:37 am

Oooh, that restoration hardware one is GORGEOUS.
    And yes, I “shop” for furniture I have no need for yet. For example, I have a whole pinterest board devoted to a laundry room, when right now I have the teensiest one bedroom flat ever and it’ll be a long time till I have a laundry room.
    I think imaginary furniture purchasing is just so much fun because you don’t have to think too hard about practicality or cost or delivery times or anything. It’s just dreams!

Melanie @ Mailbox Journey
    September 19, 2011 at 9:40 am

I love the first option, but if it was in a grey tone – I love grey!

Happy 1 Year Blogiversary!
    Great accomplishment!

Leslie's Day
    September 19, 2011 at 9:48 am

They are all very nice choices! I like to stay middle-of-the-road when it comes to furniture I guess (although we have purchased basically nothing new, only from CL and hand-me-downs where you are limited, but can get pretty close with patience). I don’t like really girly styles, though a turned leg here and a curved back there never hurt anyone, and I don’t tend to be man-cave masculine either. Just clean (but not modern) lines in warm and neutral colors.

I would love to replace a couple of arm chairs throughout our house and have ‘picked names before expecting’ for a while now:) One of my cost-conscious favorites so far is the Colin Tufted chair from Target. (http://tinyurl.com/3qmkouu)

Kelly
    September 19, 2011 at 11:02 am

Love some of your choices for a sofa! I recently bought the Petrie sofa from C&B. If you are looking for a super comfy curl up with a book sofa– this is not it. I love the look and people always compliment me on it…. but I sometimes wish I picked comfy over style. Good luck. (you can see the sofa here: http://www.simplykellyblog.com/2011/08/living-room-update.html)

Erin
    September 19, 2011 at 11:11 am

OMG, that Restoration Hardware sofa has me at hello as well.

Some of our local furniture stores carry a brand called Rowe and I’ve heard really good things about it. I think they actually used to make PB sofas back in the day.

Lisa @ Trapped in North Jersey
    September 19, 2011 at 11:28 am

I have wanted the Petrie sofa for three years now. Its so fabulous. And I shopped for a sofa for two years before buying one. (I went with the Murray from Room and Board, it had a nice style but was half the price of the Petrie.)

Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove
    September 19, 2011 at 12:24 pm

I think my favorite is Pottery Barn’s Stewart Sofa, but that’s just based on looks. I would go for whichever sofa is the coziest.

I know how you feel though – our couch doesn’t really work in our new place. We’re going to try to hold onto it for a while because we’re not sure what we want yet.

Kate @ change of scenery
    September 19, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Personally, my vote is for the Crate and Barrel one. I love the tufting detail and think the texture of it would add some great balance to the sleek surfaces you already have in the space. Plus, Crate and Barrel has millions of fabric choices just like Pottery Barn and I’m sure if you can find one a bit more casual. Also, an area rug would help the casual-ness aspect of the sofa too.

Love your blog and good luck on the search!

Kate
    Change of Scenery

Lori H
    September 19, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Happy blogiversary! I have had my PB love seat for close to 2 years and it is holding up beautifully (I know, it should look good at 2 years, but still). And my family is officially hooked on Mix Match, thanks to your Favorites post! 🙂

September 19, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Haha! That’s hilarious! Isn’t it addicting?! … Good to know about the PB loveseat! Thanks!

Sara Smith
    September 19, 2011 at 6:18 pm

They are all gorgeous!! So funny that you asked that (way in advance) question….I was in West Elm just yesterday inquiring about a sofa, the “Henry” sofa…IN LOVE….beautiful and very comfortable! Mind you, we wouldn’t buy it until we buy a new house, which won’t happen until spring time at the earliest! How’s that for way in advance? 🙂

Lauren Lelieur
    September 19, 2011 at 11:53 pm

Happy Blogiversary! If you lived closer we would happily take the sofa and loveseat off your hands. We also have a love/hate.. mostly hate relationship with our sofa and loveseat. I don’t know what we were thinking!

Jen Allyson
    September 20, 2011 at 3:09 am

Have you seen these sofas?

Sofa 1

Sofa 2

Sofa 3

Sofa 4

And if that weren’t enough, did you know that you can go into any Crate & Barrel and order ANY sofa that Lee industries manufactures? It just takes about 3 months to get it in. Best of luck with your furniture shopping!

September 20, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Yes! The Barrington sofa, especially, has been on my brain for like ever. Unfortunately, Greg’s not too keen on it… He’s a pretty tall guy (coming in at 6’6″-7″ish) and likes substantial arms on the sofa so it’s comfy. My 5’6″ self would love it though!

dana828
    September 20, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Love the Petrie sofa. Our new one is very similar, just a bit darker grey and only the back cushions are tufted, not the seat. I love the clean, modern lines.
    I do shop furniture WAY in advance (ok, constantly), but that’s mostly because my husband takes a TON of convincing before I can get him to actually shell out the cash! I kid you not, we had our last crappy living room furniture for 15 (!?!) years before I could finally convince him last year that it had to go! I forced my hand by dragging it out to the curb on the once-a-year free trash furniture pick-up day…and we ordered new stuff the next week!

julia
    September 23, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Being older and having made several bad choices in the sofa area, you can never go wrong with slip covers in a nice lightweight canvas. They will make your current sofas look new and can be bleached and thrown back on.

Caroline @ Between Your Ears
    July 26, 2012 at 11:27 am

Hi Ashley,

I just got to this post from your living room update post the other day! I found my Restoration Hardware sofa (the Belgian Classic Roll Arm) at the Restoration Hardware outlet for more than 60% off!! You should definitely check and see if there’s an outlet near you! I wrote a post about my experience with the RHO here if you’re interested in! http://betweenyourearsblog.com/2012/07/02/shopping-for-a-sofa/

Caroline

July 26, 2012 at 11:29 am

Really?! Awesome! Thanks for the heads up : )