Organizing Pet Talk

dog toy box

…dog toys, that is. If you’re a dog owner like us, you probably have dog toys strewn around the house. Bentley likes to scatter his toys around the house (most commonly up and down the hallway and hidden in the couch cushions), but he always seems to know where each one is – especially when it comes to his tennis ball, Kraft Ruff Parmesan toy, and Rufus (his BFF). If I say, “Go get Rufus!”, he scampers as fast as he can, slipping and sliding on the hardwood floors as he goes, and promptly returns proudly wagging his tail with Rufus in his mouth.

dog toys

You may remember a few weeks ago I mentioned I was on the hunt for accessories at an antique mall in the area (read that post here). I was also looking out for a vintage crate to use as a toy box for our little ball of energetic, toy-loving fur. I found a lot of crates, but they were all much to large for our 10-pound dog.

Last week, a friend of mine was driving down from northern Virginia and stopped at an antique store on her way back into town. While she was there, she found a small, vintage crate that she thought would be perfect for Bentley. She gave me a call and asked if I wanted her to pick it up for me and I, without hesitation, said, “Yes!” After all, if it ended up being too big (or to small) for Bentley’s toys, I could always find another use for it. As far as I’m concerned, you can never have too many vintage crates around the house.

It was perfect! Exactly what I was looking for and the perfect size for his small toy collection. Dfusefinitely worth the $15.

The side of the crate has a partial label that says “…aum’s Horse and Stock Company”. Some of the label has come off over time, but the rest of it is pretty secure, despite what it looks like in the photos. After doing some investigative Googling, I found that it is actually a vintage advertising veterinary box from Baum’s Castorine Co. of Syracuse, New York and once held 10 pounds of food. What kind of food, I’m not really sure – though I assume it was for some sort of farm livestock. The company was founded in 1879, so there’s no telling how old this thing is!

I love the “rusticness” (Hey… says it’s a word!) of the wood. Even though the crate is small, it makes me even more anxious to find a piece of reclaimed wood for the mantle we have planned for over the fire place (read more about our thoughts on that here) and  that coffee table I wish we would have snapped up!

FYI For some reason the floors look more red than they actually are in person in the above and below photos. I think it’s the light bulbs in the living room. Ugh! Moving on… Bentley is a big fan of the new addition as well. It’s the perfect size for him at 6″ high, 11″ wide, and  7.5″ deep. He can get toys in and out (Yes, he actually puts toys “away” from time to time!) without choking himself in the process.

Speaking of “vintagesness” (That one’s not even on, the other day, I ended up going back to the antique mall to buy the brass bunny I stalked in this post. Our backyard seems to be the local hangout for the neighborhood rabbits, so it’s going to make a fun conversation piece.

Our new little buddy is solid brass and I was able to snatch him up for only $12. (Thanks for not running out and buying him before I got back to the antique mall!) Like all of the accessories in the house, he’ll probably end up a few places before finding the perfect final spot. But for now, he’s hanging out on the table behind the couch.

How about your house? Are the dog toys taking over? Does your dog have a particularly favorite toy like Bentley?

Oh yeah! Tonight’s the night… the season fanalie of HGTV’s Design Star. Have you been watching this season? Who do you think will walk away with their own show? Meg or Karl?

Melanie @ Mailbox Journey
    September 12, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Love the crate! Great deal.

Tammy J
    September 12, 2011 at 10:03 pm

I LOVE the crate idea! I’ll have to keep that in mind for our pooch.

And by the way, I’m a Meg fan all the way! I’m so sad the finale is tonight.

Sara Bowery
    September 12, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Awesome idea! A classy understated way to bring in some old in an unexpected place. Even though I’m sure Bentley will still like to keep his toys around the house, it’s a great place to keep the toys when it’s time to clean up. Terrific idea!

Jana Bishop
    September 13, 2011 at 1:40 am

I didn’t get to see the finale, but I hope it’s Meg:) Love the new toy box, Bentley! You’re a cutie:)

Kylie S.
    September 13, 2011 at 1:44 am

I just want to squeeze Bentley! He has eyes that talk! Lol I’m a dog lover and would be lost without my little KiKi. (KiKi weighs about 60 lbs but she’s still my baby.)

September 13, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Cute idea!

My dog Sydney loves her babies. She has a ton and even a few bags on reserve for when a baby dies. Yes, we are those people always buying a cute new dog toy, lol! Her favorite one right now is this really long racoon with no stuffing in it. I call it her ridiculous baby because it’s so long that when she has it in her mouth and is walking she’s tripping over it so she has to lift her head up really high to drag it around. She looks ridiculously cute and it always makes me laugh 🙂

September 14, 2011 at 4:35 am

That crate is a great idea. At the moment, I have a super ugly plastic tub stashed in the laundry. Definitely time to upgrade to something nicer 🙂

Rachel @ I'm Loving Today
    September 14, 2011 at 5:35 pm

First of all, Bentley is crazy adorable! Secondly, while I don’t have a dog, my cat, Mr. Pancakes, leaves his toys everywhere! And when I say “toys” I mean rubber bands that come with asparagus bundles. They are his favorite toys ever (he plays fetch with them!), and just when we think we have most of them rounded up and stashed away, he always manages to surprise us with a couple more from his special hiding spots…

September 15, 2011 at 4:20 pm

What a cute idea! I am constantly cleaning up my dog’s toys and an hour later, they are everywhere again! Doesn’t help he has 20+ toys… spoiled!

P.S. What happened to your blogging schedule? I check in when you said you would have posts up and most of the time, they are never there 🙁

September 15, 2011 at 8:13 pm

Thanks so much : ) We’ve been keeping track on the schedule (every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday), with the exception of yesterday. Life kind of got in the way… Greg was super busy with work and I was under the weather. Boo! But we’re back on track and making it up with a bonus Etsy Thursday post tonight. Yay for schedules!

caroline s
    September 19, 2011 at 11:45 am

aaaah I loved that bunny the first time you posted it!! I’m glad you went back and bought it!