Happy September everyone! This month, we’ve got a big mish-mash of all sorts of awesome stuff that we’ve come across. From time/space machines to popcorn, iPhone covers to nail polish, here is our newest bunch of favorite things:
1. Georgia Brown Plectrum Wallet – Ash and I bought a wallet that held guitar picks for my brother-in-law for Christmas a few years back, and I thought it was awesome. This wallet is a slightly different take on the same idea, and would make a great gift for any guy who needs an emergency pick every now and then. I love brown leather accessories (always have), and the white stitching on this just adds to the character of the whole thing. I’m going to have to put this on my Christmas list this year.
2. Mix Match Gourmet Popcorn: Cheese & Caramel – While we were in college (in Tennessee), Ash and I found this popcorn at the Walgreen’s next to campus. It quickly became a favorite study snack. We hadn’t been able to find it anywhere since and thought it might have been a local product or something. Last week, this long lost favorite came back into our lives when we found it at a local drug store. We’ve even got some family members hooked! If you’re thinking, “Cheese and Caramel at the same time? Ew,” you’ve obviously never tried it. This stuff is so good, it’s addicting! Also, for you adventurous types, they have a version with spicy cheddar. It, too, is amazing in its own way. Go grab a bag (or two) at your local Walgreen’s (or on the Mix Match website) for the weekend!
3. Electricity – While it’s nice to turn off the electronic devices and “rough it” for a while, I really like my refrigerator, microwave, and air conditioning; especially the fridge. I never realized how many times I go to the fridge just to grab a drink or a snack. I’m pretty sure that Ashley and I are going to be investing in a generator as soon as we can.
4. Off! Clip On Fan – When Ash and I bought these, I had my doubts about their effectiveness, but my doubts have been proven baseless. My father-in-law got a new van for his company, so we spent some time working on transferring everything from the old van to the new. However, the mosquitoes were eating us alive! These immediately came to mind, so I ran over to our house, unceremoniously unboxed them, and hung one in each of the vans. Let me tell you, these work great. After a minute or two, we didn’t even see another mosquito.
5. Netflix Streaming – Netflix streaming is great on the TiVo and my computer (despite the somewhat limited selection), but I never thought I’d get so much use out of it on my phone. However, it is quickly becoming my new favorite thing to do from time to time or while I’m coding our new site design (coming soon!). I can just grab my headphones and my phone, check out what’s on my instant queue, and watch any number of episodes from my favorite sci-fi TV shows! What’s even better is it works great over AT&T’s “4G” data network, so I don’t have to sit near a WiFi hot spot.
6. TUL Pens – I’m not completely sure what it is about these pens that is so enjoyable. Objectively, they’re nothing too special, but they write very smoothly and consistently. I’m going to grab a box of them the next time I run to the office supply store just so I can stay stocked up.
7. Doctor Who – Maybe this makes me an even bigger geek than I usually am, but I have recently been obsessed with all things Doctor Who. For those of you who don’t know, Doctor Who is the longest-running sci-fi series of all time, so it’s a pretty big deal. While I haven’t watched many of the old episodes, the reboot is absolutely phenomenal, and thanks to a combination of Netflix and xfinity on-demand streaming, I can watch every episode, from season 1 through the newest episodes in season 6. In light of my new obsession, I kinda want my own Talking TARDIS Cookie Jars (pictured above) soon.
1. Kate Spade New York iPhone Cover – Sometimes I like to change my iPhone cover as often as my clothes! My newest favorite is this one from Kate Spade. I love the colors and the charming, watercolor-esque artwork.
2. Owl Umbrella Stand – When we finally get our foyer in ship shape one day, I can totally see this little guy in there to house umbrellas. Isn’t he cute?
3. 80’s Glam Ultra Fine Sharpies – I’m a self-proclaimed Sharpie addict. I use them for everything from making lists to doodling on the margins of my notebooks. I picked up this 80’s Glam edition pack the other day and I’m loving the fun color combo.
4. Subtle Zebra Print – Lately, I’ve been loving zebra print. Not the in-your-face kind of print, but muted/subtle zebra print – like this rug from West Elm. It’s classic with a little bit of “exotic contemporary” mixed in. Love it!
5. Scrabble Slam! – I randomly bought this card game the other day when I was at Ben Franklin Crafts buying spray paint. Last night, Greg, one of our friends, and I played it, and it is now, hands down, one of our favorite games. It’s one of those games where you will find yourself saying, “Just one more round!” over and over. It’s fast paced (you can play a round in just a couple of minutes), funny, and really addicting.
6. My “Fashion Passion” Pinterest Board – Pinterest isn’t just for home decor inspiration anymore. I recently starting “pinning” fashion photos, hair styles, outfits I like and such on a separate board called “Fashion Passion”. It’s a fun place to collect things I want to try out for myself, like this hair style (pinned here, from here).
7. Only Gold For Me by OPI + Sephora – I picked this nail polish up at Sephora last week and I’m simply addicted to it. It’s very sparkly and looks great over nude/neutral nail colors. It’s not sparkly like “I’m in 8th grade” sparkly. It’s more like… “sophisticated glam”… which is awesome.
How about you… Any current favorites?