Inspiration

MY AHA INSPIRATION MOMENT

I’ve said it before, and I’ll probably say it a million times more, but inspiration is all over the place. It’s in the simplest things… packaging, the color of an apple, the pattern of the bricks in the road, a cosmetics bag, a vase of flowers, an old door, a concert poster, a perfume bottle… yeah, you get the idea.

I had one of those “aha inspiration moments” the other day while IΒ was busy rearranging the books on the shelves of our TV unit in the living room. We’re still in the process of finding the right “things” to be displayed with the books, but I still tend to rearrange the book collection every few days. The right side is a little more “done” than the left, but we’re getting there.

After a few minutes of stacking, switching, and moving things around, I had somehow concocted a relatively unexpected and fun color combination:

Then it dawned on me: these are the types of colors I want to use in this room. I had been going back and forth with color combos in my head for weeks – specifically trying to decide if I wanted to use red or not (I talked a little bit about that here). I’m not looking for a “designated color scheme” by any means, just a color combo to use as my inspiration when picking out things to go in the room. And by “room”, I mean the room that consists of the living room, kitchen, and dining room – oh, and my office. Right now, we have a pretty bland pallet: gray walls, white trim, white fireplace, and hopefully one day a new gray sofa. Even though it looks “blah” for now, it’s the perfect “canvas” to incorporate my new favorite color scheme.

Greg’s pretty happy with the colors, too! Well, as happy as a husband gets, haha! I’m not looking to slather the room with bright bold colors. Even though that could totally work in other spaces, I want to go for something that’s subtle yet colorful. Oxymoron, right? I’m thinking something kind of like these rooms…

I wonder if I can find a purse big enough to carry all of these books inside stores with me when I go shopping… just kidding! I’ll probably just to keep the photo of the books on my phone for on the go.

How about you? Have any “aha inspiration moments” lately? What’s your take on color schemes?Β

Simple inspiration grid photos found here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here and lastly, here. Room inspiration photos found here, here and here. Whew! That was a lot.

Laura Mead
    October 5, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Oooooooh, love the colors! Very modern fun and as you say “Martha” all at the same time. Lookin good!

Sara Bowery
    October 5, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Very inspiring post……I won’t be able to look at a stack of books the same from now on!

I like your book choices too – haha

kate
    October 5, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Hey! I saw a book named “kate” on your bookshelf picture! what book is that? i’d love to get it to decorate with since i’m a kate! πŸ™‚

October 5, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Thanks, I love it too! A fried got it for me a while back due to my love of classic films – It’s a Katharine Hepburn biography, “Kate: the Woman Who Was Hepburn” by William J. Mann.

kate
      October 12, 2011 at 4:03 pm

Thank you!

Libby
    October 5, 2011 at 2:13 pm

oh i love it when that happens! and those colors look great together. can’t wait to see how your living room turns out!

Melanie @ Mailbox Journey
    October 5, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Love the colors – especially the blue & green.

Jen
    October 5, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Oh how I adore those colors, very chic and matchy, without MATCHY. You’re quite lucky with the choices, I’m not allowed any greens, yellows, oranges, or red. That leaves a VERY limited COOL color palette. And since my favorite color is teal, it’s also on the no-no list because it’s partly GREEN. What’s a girl to do? Any help??

October 5, 2011 at 3:44 pm

You can do a lot with subtle neutrals, earth tones, and patterns/prints. Kind of like this room: http://bit.ly/9yTJZY The color palette is really subtle but with the right pieces, it doesn’t look at all boring.
      Hope that helps!

Katie @ explanationrequired
    October 5, 2011 at 4:27 pm

I love the color scheme you came up with. It’s very similar to what I have going in my living room, with your grey replaced by a pale aqua. Love, love, love some cheery, but not in your face, color!

Staci @ My Friend Staci
    October 5, 2011 at 5:38 pm

I adore the color combo. I’m super into small punches of color around the room–strategically coordinated–but looking effortless!! I’m all about the “triangle” and making sure the pops of color are sneaked in at least three times (be it ever so subtly).
    Can’t wait to see what you come up with! Perhaps spray paint can be your best friend…?

Victoria Mann
    October 5, 2011 at 9:45 pm

For the longest time I was always confused and frustrated because I would see other rooms that I liked, but was always afraid to tackle my own home. I finally figured out something that helped me get past that fear. It was an “aha” moment for me:) I’m always looking for rooms in magazines, on the net and in stores that appeal to me. When I see a room that takes my breath away! I ask myself, “Why do I like this room so much?” I then take a picture with my phone. When I go back to look at the pictures I’ve collected, I can then see a pattern. Those elements and colors are then what I try to look for when buying for our home. It helped me get past the “fear” factor. Hope this can maybe help someone:) And I really enjoy your blog!

Elisa
    October 7, 2011 at 10:12 am

Cute color combo. I too am guilty when it comes to taking iPhone photos of random things that color-inspire me.