Holiday Tips + Tricks

DIY CHALKBOARD GIFT TAGS

chalkboard gift tags

Okay, so I may not have all of my Christmas shopping done just quite yet but as I buy a gift, I always make sure to wrap it as soon as possible so I won’t be stuck with a bunch of gift-wrapping to do all at once. This year, rather than using ordinary gift tags, Greg and I thought it would be fun to mix it up and DIY some simple chalkboard gift tags.

These little guys are super easy to make and are sure to wow your Christmas gift recipients. Woah, that sounds formal. To make these fun chalkboard gift tags, here’s what you’ll need…

[STEP 1] Take your piece of chipboard (or heavy cardstock) and draw your shape. Since most boxes and bags are rectangular, I decided to go with a simple, round tag to add some shape variation to the mix. To make all of the circles uniform, I just traced the bottom of the Rust-Oleum can. Easy! I was able to get nine circles on one 8×10 piece of chipboard.

[STEP 2] Cut out each circle then use a large hole punch to make the hole for the ribbon. Make sure the hole will be large enough for the ribbon you are going to use. I’m using 1.5″ ribbon for all of our packages, so I used my 9/16″ hole punch. You can find these in the scrapbook section of craft stores like Michael’s or Ben Franklin. If you don’t have a large hole punch, you can also cut a slit in the top of the circle wide enough for the ribbon using a sharp craft knife. Btw, it’s important to do this step before you paint so the cutting won’t cause the paint to chip or flake off.

[STEP 3] Now it’s time to break out the Rust-Oleum Chalkboard SpraySimply put, I love this stuff! Take your chipboard gift tags outside (or a well-ventilated area) and… well, you know the drill! In my best informercial voice: Be sure to hold the can about 10″-12″ away from the tags. To prevent splotches, keep the can moving. As usual, when spray-painting, it always works best to do a few light coats rather than one heavy coat. We ended up doing three light coats.

[STEP 4] Normally, waiting for paint to dry is the hardest part, but with this particular project, the drying time isn’t bad at all. After only 5 to 10 minutes, we had a complete set of chalkboard gift tags. Holla! I can’t wait to show these guys off under the tree!

Now how’s that for a super easy upgrade to ordinary gift tags? It makes me want to find more things to use this Chalkboard spray on… Bentley better watch out today!

How about you… How’s your Christmas shopping coming along? Barely started or just about finished? Or are you trying to make us all look bad and have had your shopping done since September? Like my mother! Shame on you.

Oh! And speaking of gift-wrapping, one of our favorite gift wrap/fine paper resources, Smock, is having a great sale today and tomorrow (Monday & Tuesday) with an even greater cause… 100% of proceeds from items purchased from the sale section of Smock Everyday items will be donated to Earthworks! Sale items are 50% off & they’ve got some great gift items as well as holiday cards, holiday gift tags, fill in holiday party invites, and much much more! Visit their blog for more information as well as a gift guide with some of the best items from the sale section!

Amy @ At the Pink of Perfection
    November 28, 2011 at 10:19 am

I love this! So easy yet chic and cool looking!

Rust-Oleum Scott
    November 28, 2011 at 11:11 am

Ashley, this is by far one of the coolest projects we’ve ever seen. So fun, so creative and perfect for the holiday season. Great job and thank you so much for using Rust-Oleum to complete your project.

Leigh Yarborough
    November 28, 2011 at 11:26 am

I’m having one of those “why didn’t I think of that” moments:)

karen Johnson
    November 28, 2011 at 11:34 am

This is so neat!! Question, does the chalk smudge easily??

November 28, 2011 at 12:07 pm

The finished product is just like a normal chalkboard. You can always use a chalk paint pen. They are still erasable but “stay put” a little better than normal chalk.
      Hope that helps!

Amanda
      November 28, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Just as an FYI, you can purchase those pens here: http://www.amazon.com/Chalk-Ink-Marker-Classic-Colors/dp/B00251G48E 🙂

Tabby R
    November 28, 2011 at 11:35 am

What a great idea! I would think they would be reusable too. I’m definitely going to make these. After presents are opened in our family my sister always grabs all the bows. This year she’ll probably be trying to grab my gift tags too!  Thanks for sharing, Ashley!

karen Johnson
    November 28, 2011 at 11:35 am

and PS- when will the Bronner GC winner be announced… I have an order to place and i’m crossing my fingers 🙂

November 28, 2011 at 11:52 am

Ah, gotcha! Gotta love Bronner’s! : )
      Here’s the link to find out who won: http://bit.ly/s5Lp3j

Riley Dodd
    November 28, 2011 at 11:44 am

I’ve bought only two gifts so far and still have a lot to do. I love the chalkboard gift tag idea!

karen Johnson
    November 28, 2011 at 12:50 pm

OOH I’m totally getting a chalk pen!!! Who knew such a thing existed! Thank you!

Sarah P.H.
    November 28, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Cute project! Although it seems like it’d make it easy for some mischievous person to sneak under the tree and switch around all the names on the presents, hehe…

Amanda
      November 28, 2011 at 10:38 pm

I could totally see me doing this ! 😛

Caitlin @ Desert Domicile
    November 28, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Those are so cute and creative! I have about 50% of my Christmas shopping done right now but hope to have all of it done by this weekend! Fingers crossed haha

PS: How are you doing recovery wise from your surgery? I hope all is well 🙂

November 28, 2011 at 4:29 pm

Thanks so much for asking! They actually ended up rescheduling the surgery until next week… So irritating! I guess it’s a good thing when the surgeon is so popular, ha.

November 28, 2011 at 7:47 pm

Actually… Scratch that. They’ve moved it up to the end of this week. Ugh!

Amanda
    November 28, 2011 at 10:39 pm

Quick question: where did you buy that gorgeous ribbon?

November 29, 2011 at 1:36 am

Paper Source! I have an obsession with it, Ha!

Amanda
      November 29, 2011 at 10:46 pm

Sorry to nag, but do you remember the name of it? There’s so many different options! http://search.paper-source.com/index/_/N-/Ntt-ribbon

Thanks!

November 30, 2011 at 10:39 am

Oops! Yeah, I use their satin 1.5″ ribbon. Here’s the link: http://bit.ly/v1n7hV
        Oh and the colors in the photos are red and chocolate. Hope that helps!

Amanda
      November 30, 2011 at 11:43 am

Thanks so much!

Geena
    November 28, 2011 at 10:49 pm

I have one gift bought so far…ONE! Not good! Gotta try the gift tags though. Genius!

VICTORIA M.
    November 29, 2011 at 10:59 am

I have bought ZERO Christmas presents. ZERO! 🙁 I had planned to take advantage of cyber Monday but that didn’t happen. I’ll be doing my shopping via the net though. I go to the malls only to get me in the spirit of things:) Merry Christmas, Greg, Ash and Bentley!

Lindsey @ arkadian belle woods
    November 29, 2011 at 11:01 am

Great tags! It’s funny several years ago I could care less about packages and presentation but now I have a new theme each year. Its something about that extra touch and the unique presentation that makes everyone a bit more excited!

Kyle
      November 29, 2011 at 2:02 pm

I agree! Each year our family can’t wait to see what my Aunt Jill’s gifts are going to look like! Each one is a masterpiece and no one want to open their gift but we get over it real quick! Ha!

Cortney
    November 29, 2011 at 3:39 pm

where did you buy your ribbons? I am having a hard time finding jewel time high quality ones for my gift wrapping.

November 29, 2011 at 10:13 pm

I love the ribbon at Paper-Source! I find that their 1.5″ ribbon makes the best bows.
      Here’s the link: http://bit.ly/v1n7hV