Laundry Room

WRECKING THE WALLS + DECKING THE HALLS

We’re back with another laundry room update! During the fall/winter, the laundry room is normally the coldest room in the house. This isn’t good when you’ve got stain on the floors that’s trying to dry. Unfortunately, with it being so cold outside over the past few days, this delayed the process a bit. So we cranked up the heat and played the waiting game. Finally, yesterday the first coat of polyurethane was able to be put down. As of this morning, it was pretty dry so the stain guy installed the shoe molding. Even with the current mess in the room, it’s already looking so much better…

The dust on the floors is because they just finished the shoe molding… literally 5 seconds ago. Later today, after the “construction dust” is cleaned up, the second coat of polly will be put down, followed by some more waiting time, and then the third and final coat (we asked for three coats – just as in the rest of the house – to make the floors more durable).

The suspense is killing me! I can’t wait to start planning the shelving for the closet. But before we even think about getting to that, there’s a few more things on short yet relatively hefty to-do list:

• Paint the half bathroom
  • Re-install the toilet
  • Touchup walls and trim in laundry room
  • Hang new closet doors
  • Install the new trim around the closet doors
  • Paint the new trim and closet doors

Whew!

As for the rest of the house… Remember a few weeks ago when we pulled out the fall decorations? Well, we managed to join the rest of our neighborhood and decorate the front door with a wreath, a few pumpkins, and some yellow mums. Then came the not-so-spur-of-the-moment urge to get the kitchen done in time for Christmas. Is that crazy? Then, if that wasn’t enough on our plate, we set out to do the laundry room too. Forget two front teeth, all we want for Christmas is a big ‘ole plate of satisfaction. With all of the hustle and bustle, the fall decorations went unnoticed and are already back in the attic. Bentley will miss Mr. & Mrs. Pilgrim…

But that doesn’t mean we’re not in the decorating mood. While in the attic, we decided to bring down the Christmas tree and all of the Christmas decoration boxes. Cue the Christmas music!

It may seem a little early to be decking the halls, but we’re keeping our eyes on the prize. The prize = our first Christmas Eve in the house with the smell of cookies baking in the oven in our brand new kitchen. Pure bliss! With everything going on around here, we’re going to pace ourselves and our goal is to be completely decked out by Thanksgiving. Fingers crossed!

How about you guys? When do you start decorating for Christmas? And how early is too early?

annabelvita
    November 14, 2011 at 12:38 pm

I think I might push for December 1st. It’s our last Christmas in our teeny flat and I want to make it great. Hoping our tree this year looks a bit more cohesive than last year’s mish mash: http://annabelvita.com/merry-christmas-from-bruce (we’ve been buying decorations on our travels this year).

Lori H
    November 14, 2011 at 12:43 pm

No hall-decking at our house until after Thanksgiving. The tree is always purchased the weekend after Thanksgiving. Can’t believe it’s almost here!

Christin
    November 14, 2011 at 1:14 pm

Christmas is my FAVORITE time of year!!!! Normally I wait until close to Thanksgiving to start listening to Christmas music, but with all the stress this year has brought I needed Christmas cheer early this year. Generally I have fall decorations out in October through Thanksgiving and then the Christmas decorating starts the weekend after Thanksgiving. With finishing up a semester in grad school early December, the decorating might wait a few weeks than it normally does, we’ll see! Can’t wait though!!

Lily Drummond
    November 14, 2011 at 1:26 pm

It’s never too early for Christmas!!!! 

Paige Nicole
    November 14, 2011 at 1:32 pm

I can’t wait to see your tree! We don’t put ours up until after Thanksgiving. Usually it’s up within two days after. Each year I try to pick up at least 3 new ornaments for the tree. I can’t wait to get it up!! And your dog, Bentley, is ADORABLE.

Diamond H
    November 14, 2011 at 1:36 pm

I’m already playing Christmas music. Most of the presents have been bought. Working on my Thansgiving and Christmas menus. Really hoping you share some holiday recipes soon:)

Robin @ 3 acres & 3,000 sf
    November 14, 2011 at 2:07 pm

If you’re taking the time to remodel the laundry room why didn’t you fix the heating/cooling issues too? Punching a few holes in the wall to blow in insulation wouldn’t have been that much more work and would save you lots of money on your energy bills. People often thing “well I’m not in this room much so the temperature doesn’t matter” but in fact that room acts as a heat sink and is a huge energy loss for the whole house if it shares any walls or doors.

If the walls are insulated you could look into adding an additional heat source. I’d be worried about freezing pipes in a space like that if it got too cold.

November 14, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Great tips! There’s insulation in the walls just not much under the house in that particular area – which is a project we plan on tackling in the near future.

Caitlin
    November 14, 2011 at 4:24 pm

I usually don’t start decorating for Christmas until the weekend after Thanksgiving but it’s been on my mind a lot lately. Unfortunately our house is on the market so I’m not sure if any Christmas decorating is going to happen so I’ll probably just live vicariously through you guys and your decorations 🙂

Lelia
    November 14, 2011 at 6:33 pm

I love the colour of your floors! Great work.

Kelly
    November 14, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Mine is already up! That being said — I’m Canadian and thanksgiving has been over for a month… as far I am concerned anytime after Halloween is fair game! I’ll wait another two weeks to put up anything on the outside of the house though 🙂

T
    November 15, 2011 at 7:18 pm

your dog kills me! so cute

Krista from KJ and CO.
    November 18, 2011 at 7:52 pm

I promised to wait until December 1 this year. The day after Halloween is too early IMO, but not according to our neighbors.

Jen Kley
    November 20, 2011 at 5:06 pm

I actually am just design blog shopping and ran across your site because I LOVE THE NAME! So cool. Now I love your site.