Blog Talk

NOTICE ANYTHING DIFFERENT?

books

For those of you reading in Google Reader, click on over to check out the new look! We’ve been working on this for about five months (yes, it actually takes that long to do things like this) and we’re so happy, and releaved, to finally reveal the new and improved 7th House on the Left.

There are a few more tweaks we are working on, but rather than waiting, we wanted to go ahead, bite the bullet and unleash the new and improved look. We didn’t want to do a total transformation – we really like the notebook design and it says a lot about how we do things (project notebooks are our jam). What the blog really needed was a little bit of tightening and brightening. We (mostly Greg) worked on making the nuts and bolts more efficient and making the overall style of the blog mirror our personal style a little better.

We’ve made a bunch of changes, big and small. From the about page to the full disclaimer + privacy policy page, everyting has been revamped. The biggest difference between the new design and the old one is the color scheme. When we put together the first design, we hadn’t even put the first drop of paint on the walls. If you look back at the post about our first apartment, you’ll notice the color scheme was a lot like the first blog design – or “7th House 1.0” as Greg calls it. That’s probably because we were living there when we designed it…

Now that we’re actually living in the house and the walls have been painted for a good long time, we noticed the old design 7th House 1.0 looked nothing like our house – which kind of defeats the purpose, right? In fact, remember when I stumbled on a color scheme for the living room? Yeah, the stack of books. Well, when deciding on 7th House 2.0’s color scheme, we decided that would be a good jump off point for the blog too…

See the similarities?

There are a lot of new changes in every nook of the blog but one of my very favorite additions is the Pinterest widget in the sidebar. As you’ve probably figured out by now, I’m a total Pinterest junkie. When we were brainstorming for 7th House 2.0, I mentioned to Greg that it would be so awesome if there was a way to share my latest pins automatically, and be able to click on the photo and go to that pin. He just kind of looked at me with a really weird look on his face and said, “Give me twenty minutes”. Twenty minutes later, low and behold, he created my dream sidebar feature. Sorry ladies, he’s taken.

We’re still ironing out a few kinks, so thanks in advance for being patient and feel free to let us know if something looks wonky on your computer (just let us know what browser/version you’re using). Every computer is different – that’s the crux of designing a blog from scratch. Take a minute and look around the new digs and let us know what you think!

Psssst… We’re not finished yet, but a full kitchen update is coming your way soon!

Missy G.
    December 21, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Yay, you’re back! Hope you are feeling well!

FYI, one kink is the “You might also like:” links under the post. When I scroll up or down, they change on me! I use Firefox 8.0. Love the new look!

December 21, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Thanks so much! It’s good to be back! I’m still not 100%, but I’m hanging in there and taking one day at a time.
      Oh and thanks for the heads up! I’ll let Greg know : )

Staci @ My Friend Staci
    December 21, 2011 at 3:07 pm

I was just thinking of you and how your recuperation was coming along? The new blog design looks GREAT!! I love the colors. Can’t wait to see your kitchen too!

December 21, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Thank you! Things are coming along. I’ll be so very glad when things are 100% back to “normal”. Having surgery right before Christmas is really cramping my style, haha.

Dennis Bullock
    December 21, 2011 at 3:24 pm

It looks great guys!

Caitlin
    December 21, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Lookin’ good! I love the new color scheme and the lovely linen background 🙂

Lori H
    December 21, 2011 at 4:47 pm

I really, really like the new look! So glad you kept the notebook – it’s different. And the colors are fresh and happy 🙂

Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove
    December 21, 2011 at 5:06 pm

The new layout is beautiful! Great job!

Michael @ Blue Velvet Chair
    December 21, 2011 at 5:55 pm

The redesign is lovely. Easy to navigate and pleasing to the eye!

Michael

John @ Our Home from Scratch
    December 21, 2011 at 6:14 pm

Looks great! Would love to know what program Greg uses to design the site theme. We’re still rocking a standard wordpress theme. We’re in dire needs of an upgrade!!

December 21, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Thanks! He uses Notepad++ for the most part, but sometimes he uses Dreamweaver to do the basic layout. Hope that helps!

December 21, 2011 at 10:41 pm

Love the new look!
    And the Pinterest sidebar — genius? Do we think Greg will share as a plugin for the rest of us wordpress site owners? (wink wink!)
    Can’t wait to see the kitchen!

December 21, 2011 at 11:38 pm

We’re hoping to be able to share the code soon! It just needs some polishing first : )

Heidi
    December 22, 2011 at 12:09 am

Very nice! Looks so modern and is easy to navigate! Can’t wait to see the kitchen.

Katie
    December 22, 2011 at 12:10 am

Lookin good girl! The new color scheme is hawt with a capital sizzle 🙂
    And I know you said your sexy- sidebar- creatin- man is taken but you should at least let us rent him 🙂
    xo kb

December 22, 2011 at 7:06 am

Hahahaha! I’ll have to talk it over with him ; )
      Thanks, Katie!

Sarah @ Freestyle Home/Life
    December 22, 2011 at 1:12 am

Love the new color scheme! And wow, that floorplan with the clickable rooms on your Projects page is probably one of the neatest things I’ve ever seen on a house blog. (Sorry if that’s been around for a long time, I just noticed it now. Awesome feature.)

Beth
    December 22, 2011 at 7:59 am

I’m so glad you’re back, and the site looks better than ever! I love the new design.

Jillian D
    December 22, 2011 at 11:50 am

I missed reading your blog last week but am glad you’re taking it slow and taking time to recover. Really love the new look. And I’m looking for a “Greg” of my own:). Would love to find one under my tree!! Does he cook too? Lol!!

Christin
    December 22, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Love the new design!!

Candace (NYStateofMom)
    December 22, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Glad you’re back, hope you’re feeling better! The site looks great.

Kris
    December 22, 2011 at 11:17 pm

Love the new look…crisp, clean, simple and not too busy. When I see a website or blog that’s busy and crammed with content I find myself not wanting to stay very long. I want to read a blog not a novel:) Love!

Amanda
    December 29, 2011 at 10:52 am

I bit the bullet with this one and commented on your redesign two posts ago 😀 hehe, and was waiting for a post launch so I could read about it! Yay. Love the Pinterest sidebar. I’m a Pinterest junkie, it’s a [healthy] obsession.

Amanda
      December 29, 2011 at 11:01 am

Can I request an adaption to your “our house” page? You know, something to do when you have nothing else to do. HA! Have a house layout (floor plan) of your houses paint colours. I know you have a paint colour post but seeing how the rooms flow is a great visusl. 😀

December 29, 2011 at 11:04 am

Great idea! We’ll have to add that to the list : )