Shopping Trips

OUR DATE NIGHT SHOPPING TRIP

Last night, Greg and I took time out for a much needed date night. After dinner at one of our fave restaurants, Greg arranged for a private screening of my all-time favorite Disney movie, Beauty and the Beast (3D). Okay, so he didn’t really rent out the theater… though he totally acted like it for a few minutes, and I almost believed it for a second. Just for a second. Nevertheless, we were indeed the only ones in the house – which gave me the glorious freedom to sing along with every lyric and recite every line… just like any normal Disney-loving 26-year-old would do. Duh.

target date night ashley brown

The night was rounded off with a trip to Target. Yes, Greg knows the way to my heart. Actually, I just needed to pick up some vitamins and hairspray. But along the way, I came across some fun, blog-worthy Target finds and here they are…

First off, my weakness: storage containers. They had all of these in three other colors (pink, teal, and black), but the green really caught my eye. It’s so fresh and Springy. When things are organized, yeah, I’m a happy camper. But when things are organized AND pretty, I’m downright emotional about it. True story.

I particularly loved this little guy ($14.99). You can’t have too many lidded boxes. And who doesn’t love a good zig zag pattern? These would be great to store extra dog toys or even out-of-season sweaters on the top shelf of the closet.

Let me start off by saying… It’s about time for someone besides Anthropologie have cute dishtowels. These are by Dwell Studio and were on clearance (at only $8.91 for three towels)! The yellow set is actually the same design as the bedding we have in the guest room. They also had matching pot holders for $3 a piece.

On the other side of the aisle were some Target brand kitchen towels. I thought these were really cute too and a little more on the modern side. The other ones were more like “dishtowels”, these were more like flour sack material (thin cotton). Come to think of it, either of these kitchen towels would make a great pillow… Hmm.

We’ve been keeping our eye out for curtains for the dining room for a while now. During my search, I saw these on the Target website (here) and seeing them in person makes me love them more. The only thing I’m concerned about it that the texture is a little too like the fabric on our dining room chairs. On the other hand, we’ve been thinking about switching those out anyway – but that’s an entirely different blog post way down the road. But I just love these panels! They are only $21.24 each (for the 54″x84″ panel) – a lot cheaper than what you’d find at other stores – yet, they are heavy and have a nice, rich gray color.

These storage ottomans ($59.99) would be perfect for extra seating in a living room set up. I wish like everything they came in other colors because I’ve been looking for some like these for my office. Throughout the house, we’re trying to steer clear of beige and leaning more towards grays and charcoals – so they wouldn’t really work in our space. So if these came in charcoal, two of them would be in my hot little hands at this moment.

Speaking of grays and charcoals, they did have these ottomans ($49.99) on the other side of the aisle. While I’m totally digging the color, I wish they doubled as storage. But sadly, they don’t so it’s not quite what I’m looking for.

I love, love, love these storage baskets ($39.99 a piece)! The chunky chalkboard labels had me at hello. I just wish I had a place to use them. They are rather large, so I don’t think I have a place to use them at the moment. They’d be great in a play room for toy storage. So, if you have kids, go pick up a few of these in my honor, ha!

Spring is in the air and it shows on the accessory aisles of Target. They are filled with bright green, white, and teal accents like this picture frame ($11.99) and decorative finials ($14.99). I really like this shade of blue – it’s kind of like a marriage of teal and cobalt.

These giant chess pieces ($12.99) caught Greg’s eye. He’s one of those I-like-playing-chess-against-myself type people. Me on the other hand, I don’t even know how to play.

I’m a sucker for trays. Put anything on a tray, even the remote controls for the tv, and they just automatically look and feel extra special. Now that I’m looking back at this photo, I think I might go back and pick up the one on the far left. It was only $12.99 and it came in a navy/cobalt-ish blue that I really liked. I’m not sure what I’d use it for, but like I said… sucker.

I really like the leather / nailhead action going on on this pillow ($22.99). The design reminded me of the one we used for the contact paper window project a while back.

Everyone needs a set of outdoor dishes. At least that’s what I told myself when I saw these. I think the chevron plates ($1.99 each) would be super cute mixed with some solid color bowls and cups. It would make for a fun and festive outdoor party – which we are planning on having as soon as the weather gets a bit warmer. Score.

Across from the outdoor dishes was the grocery section. Now… we’re cookie people. Nine times out of ten, you’ll find cookie dough in our fridge. But on the other hand, these days we’re all about eating healthy and “whole” as possible. Which is why we had to try the new Simply chocolate chip cookie dough from Pilsbury. They have no artificial flavors, colors, preservatives, or high fructose corn syrup. Should be… interesting. So in the cart they went. And yes, also in my cart were two matching pot holders mentioned above.

And if those fail…

…we always have a backup. So much for being healthy, right?

On our way out, I spotted what I affectionately call, “the Giada section”. Okay, so, confession: I’m a total Giada De Laurentis fan girl. I love watching her shows on the Food Network, collecting her recipes, and I’m obsessed with her line at Target. I have the bamboo spoons, the hand-held strainer, the colander, the butter warmer (which, btw, is actually super handy)… and my collection keeps on growing. Every time I go past this section, I have to pick up something. This time around, we picked up a bottle of extra virgin olive oil. Since Giada loves her olive oil, I’m anxious to try it out and see how it compares to “regular” EVOO.

When it was all said and done, the conclusion of our date night ended with purchasing two pot holders, two packages of cookie dough, Giada EVOO, and some outdoor plates. Oh, and the hairspray and vitamins I originally went in for. That’s how Target trips go, it’s impossible to stick to your list.

How about you? Any good Target finds lately? Or good date night stories?

Lori H
    January 26, 2012 at 1:44 pm

I too am a box,basket, container and tray freak. Love these picks. I feel the need to go to Target!

DeNacho
    January 26, 2012 at 1:47 pm

i just saw these last week in my Target as well. i have discovered i too have a crush on storage containers. my problem now is i don’t h always NEED them, but i sure do WANT them!

Monica W.
    January 26, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Funny that your hubby knows Target will cheer you up…. mine knows the exact same! I have the dwell dish towels – except I got them about 8 months ago and paid full price 🙁 I do LOVE them though!

Jen
    January 26, 2012 at 2:05 pm

I own one of those large chunky baskets. At Christmas time it held wrapping supplies, and now extra blankets. It’s fabulous. Of course I got it across the street from Target at Goodwill for $8.00 because one of the sides is ever so slightly bent in, but, I just keep that side against the wall or couch anyhow.

I love love LOVE that our Goodwills purchase Target’s outcasts. It’s amazing what I’ve been able to score for even cheaper than Target’s low prices!!!

Libby
    January 26, 2012 at 2:06 pm

I went to see Beauty and the Beast 3D too and I wish it has been an empty theatre!! It was incredibly hard not to belt out every word (and a few times I just couldn’t resist and sang along anyway). About the 3D thing…honestly, I don’t even think it was necessary. The movie is great on its own! It was awesome to see it on the big screen though 🙂

January 26, 2012 at 2:11 pm

I agree! I kept on wanting to take the 3D glasses off… but then things were blurry, haha.

Melanie @ Mailbox Journey
    January 26, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Man, I need to get to Target ASAP.

Jen
    January 26, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Oh gosh, forgot to mention that I have the tablecloth that matches those potholders that I also got at Goodwill for $7.99. Now I need to get some matching potholders! Dangit!!

Lindsey @ arkadian belle woods
    January 26, 2012 at 2:09 pm

OMG! I’ve been dying for these Dwell towels! Which target did you guys go to? Mville? Brook Rd? I need them ASAP!

Mandy
    January 26, 2012 at 2:10 pm

So Glad we will be getting Target up here in Victoria BC!

Kalie
    January 26, 2012 at 2:13 pm

What would my life be like without Target? I’d have more money in my checking account!! I so enjoy your blog guys:)

Rhonda B
    January 26, 2012 at 2:20 pm

The ottomans and baskets are great! Love.

Amanda @ willful/joyful
    January 26, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Those curtains are EXACTLY what I’ve been looking for! We’ve been living with the dirty, ripped, UGLY ones the former owners left behind for nearly two years now. We’re way overdue for an upgrade! Thank you 🙂

Tracy
    January 26, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Ah, Target…. I feel the need to stop on the way home now…

Your house is really looking beautiful! Good job! 🙂

Carrisa
    January 26, 2012 at 5:01 pm

I have the same bedding in my master that you have in your guest room. I loved it so much I went out and bought the tablecloth and napkins to match. I never thought I’d be a cloth napkin at home girl, but here we are.

Christie
    January 26, 2012 at 5:28 pm

My “normal” 26-year-old Disney loving self is extremely jealous you had the theater to yourself. ALL I wanted to do was sing and dance along to Beauty and the Beast 3D!

Sounds like an awesome date night!

PS…i’m digging the green chevron storage bin from target…i picked one up last week to store my bills, so cute on my desk!

PPS…giada is my role model.

lindsey @ A Pear to Remember
    January 26, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Soooooooo… that tan nailhead accent pillow pictured above was a little bday gift to myself. It is Precious oj our apple green 60s chair grandma didn’t want anymore. We have leather couches in the identical taupe, so the pillow on the green chair just ties it all together. Great picks!

Amanda @ Our Humble A{Bowe}d
    January 27, 2012 at 1:00 pm

What a productive date night! Beauty and the Beast is one of my favorite Disney movies. I try to get my boys to watch it more often, but they’re boys.

And, holy crap! I’ve been oogling the Dwell Studo towels for ages! I’ll have to get my butt to Target now that they’re on clearance! Thanks for the heads up!

Dennis
    January 27, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Looks like a blast to me!

Jenni
    February 15, 2012 at 10:56 am

Just found your blog, Thank you Pinterest! Loving everything you are doing. Did you love the Simply cookies? I bought them a few months back, and I will say that honestly- they taste better than the regular dough! It is the next best thing to making them from scratch! (I didn’t realize it until I bought the ole yellow pack the next time at the store, and blech… just not as tasty. Chalk one up to whole foods! Yay!)

February 29, 2012 at 10:06 am

Yeah, we thought they were really good! We like how they aren’t too sugary tasting but more “natural”.