Hall Bathroom

HALL BATHROOM RENOVATION: DONE!

Last time we posted about the hall bathroom, we talked about what to put on the counter between the two sinks. Well, we finally came to a decision and some wall art, a few hooks, and a toilet paper holder later, we can officially call this turkey “Done”. Holla.

complete bathroom renovation

We’re really happy with the final outcome and feel that the year spent in the making was well worth it. To refresh your (and my!) memory, here’s what the bathroom looked like the day we closed on the house…

As you can probably see in the photo, the bathroom before was extremely cramped and dark. As a result, we decided to do a little rearranging…

To give us some more breathing room, we opted to take out the hallway’s second linen closet (remember that?). We then gave that space to the hall bathroom making room room for a much larger vanity and a second sink (read more about that here).

When it came to countertop decoration, we decided to keep things simple. We started out with the tall Boxwood topiary we picked up at Ballard Designs. I love how the greenery brings in a classy natural element without being too “woodsy”. We then decided to pair it with a small antique silver tray to house the hand soap, some PB room spray, and a small glass jar to house over night guest’s jewelry or whatnot. We could always fill it with individually wrapped mints too. Yay for multi-use items!

The wall art was created by yours truly (you can find it in our Etsy shop here) and is made up of the well-traveled streets around town. We love the contrast it brings against the light and bright tiled wall.

On the wall opisite the vanity, we hung two oil rubbed bronze hooks (found here at Restoration Hardware) for guest’s towels and we hung an ultra soft plush robe to go with the whole spa-like motif. When we drilled them into the wall, we made sure to drill in the grout line to prevent cracks in the tile. That would have been bad.

After living with it for a few months, we’re really happy with the decision to include some open shelving in the middle of the vanity. We added a small wicker basket to corral the washcloths. It’s convenient and great for guests because they don’t have to wonder where they are.

As for the toilet paper holder (found here at Pottery Barn), we decided to go with a satin nickel finish to tie in with the faucets and vanity hardware…

Overall, we’re really happy with the outcome and the fact it doesn’t even feel like the same room as when we first bought the house!

Now time for the nitty gritty… I’m sure there are little things here and there (like switch plates and new junction boxes) that we forgot about along the way but to give you an idea of what cost what, we went through our receipts and came up with this general budget breakdown:

Demo: $0
Lighting: $94
Exhaust Fan: $185
Quartz Countertop: $900
Accessories (rugs, art, hooks, etc): $325
Mirrors: $120
GRAND TOTAL: $8,459

Even though we had a pretty good idea of how much the overall reno would cost, we never started with a “set budget”, so we can’t say if we came in under or over budget. We just did things (or had things done) as we were ready to pay for them. Which yeah, with everything else in the house going on at the same time this made the process go on a little longer but now we’ve got a completely new, much larger bathroom with no debt whatsoever – which is how we like it.

To look back at the action as it happened, check out these posts where we…

So, what do you think about our very first, totally finished “after”?

Melanie @ Mailbox Journey
    January 4, 2012 at 1:12 pm

It’s gorgeous, Ashley. Great job.

elaine
    January 4, 2012 at 1:25 pm

gorgeous! Love it. Amazing transformation.

Jen
    January 4, 2012 at 1:38 pm

It’s fresh and clean. It meshes nicely with the rest of the house! Great job!

Leeann
    January 4, 2012 at 1:42 pm

I really love it. I’m a “clean lines” kind of person, so your bathroom really appeals to me. I’d love to see some pops of color, but overall, I think you did a fantastic job executing your vision!

Lindsey (One Sweet World)
    January 4, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Great job!! I love the colors – the vanity is beautiful. And I *love* the Richmond street artwork!!

Heather
    January 4, 2012 at 2:03 pm

I love it! I’m definitely going to use it as inspiration for our bathroom renovation.

Lindsey @ arkadian belle woods
    January 4, 2012 at 2:04 pm

The bathroom looks amazing! I meant to ask….Ashley are you feeling better? I hope so! I was thinking about you and hoping you got to enjoy Christmas! I hope you guys had an awesome Christmas!

January 4, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Thanks so much! Yes, I’m feeling much better this week! Things are almost back to “normal” : )

Lindsey @ arkadian belle woods
    January 4, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Oh and….since I’m apparently not gathering my thoughts today haha! I so dig this new layout! Nice change Browns!

Andrea
    January 4, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Great job! I love those rugs/ bath mats! Where did you get them?

justine
    January 4, 2012 at 2:34 pm

love it! i especially love the open shelving for the guest towels.

Holly
    January 4, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Beautiful, just absolutely beautiful! So insanely jealous…

Emily
    January 4, 2012 at 2:38 pm

I love this! I’m a big fan on clean, simple, no-fuss bathrooms. Great job!

Janet Lester
    January 4, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Absolutely gorgeous!!! One of the prettiest bathrooms I’ve seen. Love the clean, uncluttered spa look. Very well done.

Geena
    January 4, 2012 at 3:51 pm

I love EVERY detail of your new bath. I especially love all the tile work. Simply beautiful, guys. You have a great eye for detail, Ashley. Your guests should be VERY happy!

Lora Namm
    January 4, 2012 at 3:59 pm

I love the customized Richmond print! I looked at your etsy shop and saw where you offer prints for any city requested. Would we provide the names of the streets in our city or is this something you would do? We live just outside of Chicago but would rather our print include names of streets in our immediate area. Would that be possible? Beautiful bathroom!

January 4, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Yep, sure thing! Here’s a link to our custom print: http://etsy.me/tBARml
      Thanks so much! : )

K.J. Dodd
    January 4, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Beautiful. Clean. Inviting.

Sara Smith
    January 4, 2012 at 5:38 pm

AMAZING!! Looks like it cost more than twice that amount of money!!

Barb
    January 4, 2012 at 6:32 pm

So perfect…it turned out beautifully!!! Be proud!! Bravo to you both!

Jen H
    January 4, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Wow! I love every single thing!! Great inspiration for when we buy a house as it may have to be a fixer upper.

Andrea
    January 4, 2012 at 9:50 pm

So beautiful. I love the dark cabinets and floor to ceiling tiles.

lindsey @ A Pear to Remember
    January 4, 2012 at 11:07 pm

Really, really lovely! I am such a fan of vibrant colors, but our new home of four months is all oatmeals and chocolates with pops of cool colors, and it could not be more comforting. So classy and timeless, thanks for all your inspiration!

annabelvita
    January 5, 2012 at 9:43 am

Gorgeous – like a lovely spa. What do you keep behind the doors in the vanity?

January 5, 2012 at 9:48 am

Thanks! On the far left I keep a small cleaning bucket for quick “freshen ups”. The other side just has an empty basket for overnight guests to use as they wish.

ashley @ sunnysideshlee.com
    January 5, 2012 at 10:52 am

Beautiful! I’m in love with the topiary design element and the sign you created! Pulls everything together! Clean, simple and elegant! Fantastic job!

Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove
    January 5, 2012 at 2:25 pm

The bathroom looks great! I really love the open storage in the vanities. This definitely looks like a hotel suite/spa bathroom. What a nice treat for your guests!

January 5, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Thanks! Nope, not yet : ) Getting closer though!

JulsB
    January 5, 2012 at 9:59 pm

Love your bathroom! I probably missed it but where did you get your rugs in front of the vanity?

January 5, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Thank you! They are West Elm, here’s the link: http://bit.ly/AjpxHQ (and on sale!).

annie
    January 6, 2012 at 11:32 am

I love your bathroom!!! We are redoing ours and that’s the exact color I’m looking for. Would you mind letting me know what paint color you chose?! I LOVE your blog:) I just discovered it today:)

January 6, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Thanks so much! We’re glad you found us : )
      The walls are actually covered in tile (no paint used in this room). You can read more about the tile selections in this post: http://bit.ly/zpR39D
      Hope that helps!!

Kalie
    January 6, 2012 at 12:01 pm

I’d love to be one of your guests! Taking reservations? Haha! Beautiful!

January 9, 2012 at 1:53 pm

This is stunning! It doesn’t even look like the same room!

Jennifer
    January 10, 2012 at 12:27 am

Amazing! I love your restroom. Like the subway art you put up too! Great job.

Lisa s
    January 11, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Love it

jess
    January 12, 2012 at 5:08 pm

where did you get the mirrors from? that’s a really good price for both

January 12, 2012 at 5:43 pm

One of our favorite places… Target! : )

Kelly
    January 13, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Love the reveal, especially the floor/ wall tile. I like the cost breakdown and plan to do that with our bathroom reno, but do you ever find when you go back thru your receipts half of them are too faded to read the prices anymore? What’s up with that? πŸ™‚

Ann
    January 16, 2012 at 11:22 am

I found your bathroom renovation through apartment therapy last night and absolutely fell in love with it! Since then I’ve looked through much of your blog (practically all morning) and even bookmarked it. The entire time I kept telling myself that Ashley looks rather familiar, but dismissing the idea because I really didn’t think there was anyway we had met. I just read your about me section only to discover you both graduated from Lee. I graduated from Lee in 2009. I don’t know if we ever officially met while you were there or not. Your blog is inspiring and makes decorating seem doable for someone who hasn’t had much experience!

January 18, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Haha! Yeah, I graduated in Spring ’07 and Greg graduated the following summer. Such a small world! Glad you found us : )

Sammy
    February 4, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Wow, great work! Was looking for inspiration for our master bath and ran across your blog. The tile, vanity, and counter are my favs. Question about your vanity from HD, I don’t see fillers on the side of the drawers. You have any difficulty opening and closing the drawers? Also are those from masterbath or something else from HD?

February 5, 2012 at 11:45 pm

Thanks! The vanity is Thomasville (at Home Depot). As for the fillers, we haven’t had any problem with the doors (there aren’t any drawers). They work great! You can read more about our vanity design in this post: http://bit.ly/zd0yxu

Hope that helps!

Becca
    February 7, 2012 at 6:13 am

What an amazing transformation, Ashley! Your “new” bath is incredible … love the colors, design … everything! And, what fun that you’re outside of Richmond … I grew up there and do miss it quite often! I look forward to following along to see more of your projects. *Becca*

natalie
    February 9, 2012 at 4:37 pm

where is the topiary from? it’s so cute!

Es
    March 14, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Hello! I love what you did with your entire house! You guys did an amazing job! Quick question…I was wondering what size tile you used for the walls & floor. Looks like a 12×12 & 10×14? Also, what color grout did you guys use? We’re about to remodel our bathrooms, and I’m so thankful for your inspirational blog!

March 15, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Aw, thanks! Yep, 12×12 on the floors and 10×14 on the walls. The grout is by Laticrete and the color is Marble Beige.
      Hope that helps and good luck with your reno!

Jenny
    June 3, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Hi Ashley, This bathroom looks great! I am so impressed with the price you had it done for also. We are having some bathrooms refinished and the cost is outrageous compared to this. Can you please tell me how you got all fo this done so reasonable, where you are and can you give me some tips!? We hired a contractor/design firm and our tiny bathrooms are costing more that this one did. πŸ™ How did you design your own vanity? How did you have it built and who built it?

June 5, 2012 at 10:54 am

Well, we did all of the demo ourselves and from what we were told by contractors, that saved us at least $900. Also, my dad is a licensed electrician, so that helped a lot in the electrical area. Rather than using an interior designer, we gathered inspiration photos from Pinterest and picked out materials one at a time (tile, countertops, vanity) until we had a complete bathroom. As for the vanity, I sketched out what I wanted on the computer (Nothing fancy! Paper would work just find too.) and took it to the cabinetry department. They set me up with a custom cabinet and it was delivered 3-weeks later in three pieces. We installed it ourselves (which was really easy). That saved a lot of dollars and cents as well. Hope that helps! : )

Nikki
    July 17, 2012 at 7:19 pm

Golly! This is simply amazing…..

Erin E
    July 18, 2012 at 8:42 pm

I freakin’ LOVE your bathroom. This is the now the inspiration for my master bath that I’ve been waiting foreva to do! So glad I found your site thanks to Hi Sugarplum! πŸ™‚

Amy
    August 10, 2012 at 11:44 pm

Great looking bathroom! What size are the mirrors?

November 1, 2012 at 11:26 am

Thanks! They are 24×36 and from Target.

mattress only
    September 4, 2012 at 6:23 am

It looks more brighter and spacious than before. The re planning was amazing. Wish had the same bathroom design.

Connie Grimes
    January 23, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Love your hall bath redo. We just redid our master bath and used a similar dark cabinet stain. Do you have any tips/favorite products for keeping them dust free. We have a large glass block window in our master bath so you can totally see all the dust/finger prints etc. BTW, I love your blog design, and the details you put into your posts are amazing.

January 24, 2013 at 8:58 pm

Thanks so much! I love, love, love the Method Wood Cleaner. You can pick it up at Target for about $3 a bottle. It’s great and seems to “prevent” finger prints pretty well. Hope that helps!

Connie Grimes
      February 25, 2013 at 3:15 pm

Thanks Ashley, I’ll give Method a try.

Marnie
    February 25, 2014 at 5:19 pm

Love it! How difficult was it to take out the linen closet? That is exactly what I would like to do in our bathroom. Any special considerations?

You guys have great taste, by the way.

February 25, 2014 at 7:53 pm

Thank you! Taking the closet out was relatively easy. You just bust everything down to the studs you want to keep, make sure the power is off to any electrical running through that wall, and don’t hit any pipes. It’s always best to consult a pro before a project like this because every house is different.

Cathy
    March 13, 2014 at 7:21 am

Beautiful bathroom. Just getting ready to do ours and looking for light counter tops. Can you share your countertop material and color?

March 13, 2014 at 10:56 am

Thanks! It’s Silestone’s Yukon.

The Gospel
    April 9, 2015 at 9:16 pm

I see something really special in this internet site.