We can’t believe it’s already 2012! What in the world?! 2011 really flew by. I guess that’s what happens when you’re having fun, right? Speaking of fun, we’re here with another installment of His + Her Favorite Things. Here’s what we’re digging these days…
1. Goof Off Professional – This stuff is absolutely great for getting those annoying price tag stickers off of porcelain or other glazed, smooth-surfaced items. All you have to do is drip a little bit on to the sticker, wait a bit, then wipe it off. Every now and then it takes a little bit of elbow grease, but it’s better than picking the sticker off with your fingernails. Just make sure you test it in a non-conspicuous area beforehand, and don’t get it on anything that you don’t want unstuck. We’ve used this a lot over the past few days, getting things ready for the kitchen, and it has really come in handy!
2. John Mayer’s Where the Light Is DVD – Say what you will about John Mayer; that man can play a mean guitar and writes some really fun and interesting music. This DVD has a little bit of something for everyone, as it includes an acoustic set, a blues set (with the John Mayer Trio), a pop/rock set (with the regular John Mayer band), and a bunch of other gems thrown in. It’s on my short list of must-have music DVDs, and I see and hear different things every time I watch it.
3. Steak ‘N Shake’s Milkshakes – I spent the first eight years of my life in Belleville, Illinois, where Steak ‘N Shake was about 5 minutes away. When my family moved to Virginia, I dreamed of the day that Steak ‘N Shake came to Richmond. Now that day is finally here! Yeah, it’s not the best thing for you in the calorie department, but a treat once in a while isn’t too bad – at least, that’s what I keep telling myself. The food is great, sure (the Frisco Melt is my favorite), but I’m really looking forward to reliving a bit of my childhood from time to time with a classic chocolate shake or orange freeze!
4. Dr. Who’s Sonic Screwdriver of the 11th Doctor – No true fan of Doctor Who should be without some sort of sonic screwdriver replica floating around his/her desk, so Ashley put one in my stocking for Christmas! Since I got the 11th Doctor’s screwdriver, I’ll probably be looking for a 10th Doctor’s screwdriver to fill out the set. Feel free to discuss David Tennant vs. Matt Smith in the comments! If you’re a geek like me that is.
5. Phineas and Ferb – Phineas and Ferb is one of the best shows on TV, in my oh so humble opinion. When I have a few minutes of television time to spare, but not enough to watch a regular hour-long show, Phineas and Ferb is my go-to source of quick entertainment. It’s clean, hilarious, and filled with little details that kids would never see.
6. Grow Your Own Coffee Kit – I’ve been pretty busy lately, so I haven’t had time to really start cultivating my coffee plants yet, but I’m pretty excited about this stocking stuffer from Ashley. I don’t know if coffee plants will actually grow in Virginia’s climate, but I’m more than willing to try. Who knows? Maybe I’ll end up with a coffee farm in our back yard!
1. iPhone 4s – If you haven’t noticed by now, I’m a total Apple fan girl. Anything Apple, I’m all there. I finally got around to upgrading to the iPhone 4s last week and let’s just say, I’m in love with it. The main, notable upgrades (for me, anyway) are the camera resolution (which is going to come in handy for blogging on the go) and Siri. Oh, Siri. She’s hilarious. You can ask her anything, tell her to add something to your calendar or even remind you to get milk when you go to the grocery store (she actually picks up on when you go to the grocery store by tracking your location! Kinda scary but very cool just the same. She’s also got a few funny things up her sleeve. Like, if you ask her to tell you a joke, she’ll respond with something like, “Two iPhones walk into a bar… I forget the punch line.”
2. Nivea Chapstick – One word: addicted. I know, I know… I say I’m addicted to every lip product whenever I talk about one on a His + Hers feature. But this stuff… seriously. Awesome. It’s super milky yet light, so it gives you that in between lip gloss and chapstick look, and it helps keep your lips ultra hydrated. It’s the bee’s knees.
3. Tapestry Napkins from Anthropologie – My mom got these for me recently and I’m so in love with them! I can’t wait to use them in the soon-to-be-completely-finished kitchen. They pick up on the color scheme we’re working towards and are super soft which gives them a feeling like they’ve been in the family forever.
4. Homemade by Clodagh McKenna – This is such a great cookbook! Not only is it full of great recipes, but there’s also a lot of great photography and the pages are designed beautifully. Whoever was the graphic designer for this project did a great job… and I want to be their BFF.
5. Downton Abbey on PBS – My cousin, Danny, suggested that I watch this show while I was recuperating from surgery. Seriously, there are only so many coloring books and Words With Friends games to occupy my time. Greg and I ended up watching all seven 1-hour episodes in one day. Ordinarily, Greg doesn’t really get into period films/series, that’s normally my cup to tea, but he ended up really digging this series too. The second season airs here in the States January 8th and you can catch the first season on Netflix!
6. Bananagrams – Every single holiday get together we wound up at this year, the night always included a few rounds of Bananagrams. If you haven’t played it yet, you must! Especially if you like word games. It’s fun, addicting, and a great game to play when you’ve got a bunch of family/friends together. Except… don’t play with Greg. He’s too good. Just a warning.
That wraps up yet another installment of our favorite things. Do you have any favorites this month?