His + Her Favorite Things

HIS + HER FAVORITE THINGS

We can’t believe it’s already 2012! What in the world?! 2011 really flew by. I guess that’s what happens when you’re having fun, right? Speaking of fun, we’re here with another installment of His + Her Favorite Things. Here’s what we’re digging these days…

1. Goof Off Professional – This stuff is absolutely great for getting those annoying price tag stickers off of porcelain or other glazed, smooth-surfaced items. All you have to do is drip a little bit on to the sticker, wait a bit, then wipe it off. Every now and then it takes a little bit of elbow grease, but it’s better than picking the sticker off with your fingernails. Just make sure you test it in a non-conspicuous area beforehand, and don’t get it on anything that you don’t want unstuck. We’ve used this a lot over the past few days, getting things ready for the kitchen, and it has really come in handy!

2. John Mayer’s Where the Light Is DVD – Say what you will about John Mayer; that man can play a mean guitar and writes some really fun and interesting music. This DVD has a little bit of something for everyone, as it includes an acoustic set, a blues set (with the John Mayer Trio), a pop/rock set (with the regular John Mayer band), and a bunch of other gems thrown in. It’s on my short list of must-have music DVDs, and I see and hear different things every time I watch it.

3. Steak ‘N Shake’s Milkshakes – I spent the first eight years of my life in Belleville, Illinois, where Steak ‘N Shake was about 5 minutes away. When my family moved to Virginia, I dreamed of the day that Steak ‘N Shake came to Richmond. Now that day is finally here! Yeah, it’s not the best thing for you in the calorie department, but a treat once in a while isn’t too bad – at least, that’s what I keep telling myself. The food is great, sure (the Frisco Melt is my favorite), but I’m really looking forward to reliving a bit of my childhood from time to time with a classic chocolate shake or orange freeze!

4. Dr. Who’s Sonic Screwdriver of the 11th Doctor – No true fan of Doctor Who should be without some sort of sonic screwdriver replica floating around his/her desk, so Ashley put one in my stocking for Christmas! Since I got the 11th Doctor’s screwdriver, I’ll probably be looking for a 10th Doctor’s screwdriver to fill out the set. Feel free to discuss David Tennant vs. Matt Smith in the comments! If you’re a geek like me that is.

5. Phineas and Ferb – Phineas and Ferb is one of the best shows on TV, in my oh so humble opinion. When I have a few minutes of television time to spare, but not enough to watch a regular hour-long show, Phineas and Ferb is my go-to source of quick entertainment. It’s clean, hilarious, and filled with little details that kids would never see.

6. Grow Your Own Coffee Kit – I’ve been pretty busy lately, so I haven’t had time to really start cultivating my coffee plants yet, but I’m pretty excited about this stocking stuffer from Ashley. I don’t know if coffee plants will actually grow in Virginia’s climate, but I’m more than willing to try. Who knows? Maybe I’ll end up with a coffee farm in our back yard!

1. iPhone 4s – If you haven’t noticed by now, I’m a total Apple fan girl. Anything Apple, I’m all there. I finally got around to upgrading to the iPhone 4s last week and let’s just say, I’m in love with it. The main, notable upgrades (for me, anyway) are the camera resolution (which is going to come in handy for blogging on the go) and Siri. Oh, Siri. She’s hilarious. You can ask her anything, tell her to add something to your calendar or even remind you to get milk when you go to the grocery store (she actually picks up on when you go to the grocery store by tracking your location! Kinda scary but very cool just the same. She’s also got a few funny things up her sleeve. Like, if you ask her to tell you a joke, she’ll respond with something like, “Two iPhones walk into a bar… I forget the punch line.”

2. Nivea Chapstick – One word: addicted. I know, I know… I say I’m addicted to every lip product whenever I talk about one on a His + Hers feature. But this stuff… seriously. Awesome. It’s super milky yet light, so it gives you that in between lip gloss and chapstick look, and it helps keep your lips ultra hydrated. It’s the bee’s knees.

3. Tapestry Napkins from Anthropologie – My mom got these for me recently and I’m so in love with them! I can’t wait to use them in the soon-to-be-completely-finished kitchen. They pick up on the color scheme we’re working towards and are super soft which gives them a feeling like they’ve been in the family forever.

4. Homemade by Clodagh McKenna – This is such a great cookbook! Not only is it full of great recipes, but there’s also a lot of great photography and the pages are designed beautifully. Whoever was the graphic designer for this project did a great job… and I want to be their BFF.

5. Downton Abbey on PBS – My cousin, Danny, suggested that I watch this show while I was recuperating from surgery. Seriously, there are only so many coloring books and Words With Friends games to occupy my time. Greg and I ended up watching all seven 1-hour episodes in one day. Ordinarily, Greg doesn’t really get into period films/series, that’s normally my cup to tea, but he ended up really digging this series too. The second season airs here in the States January 8th and you can catch the first season on Netflix!

6. Bananagrams – Every single holiday get together we wound up at this year, the night always included a few rounds of Bananagrams. If you haven’t played it yet, you must! Especially if you like word games. It’s fun, addicting, and a great game to play when you’ve got a bunch of family/friends together. Except… don’t play with Greg. He’s too good. Just a warning.

That wraps up yet another installment of our favorite things. Do you have any favorites this month?

Leona Raisin
    January 3, 2012 at 8:55 am

Since you play “Words With Friends” you might like to visit my blog to try my TV trivia anagram game. Unscrambling letters to make words is good practice for WWF.
    Leona

Rachel
    January 3, 2012 at 9:06 am

Wow! We watch Phineas & Ferb all the time!!!! And we don’t have kids either. HA! I love the little things they throw in there that go over kid’s heads but adults totally get. It’s kind of like saying, “hey, we know you’re watching too. Hi!”.

Beth H.
    January 3, 2012 at 9:07 am

I caught a few minutes of Downton Abbey the other day on TV. I loved it but I didn’t know what it was called. It looked really good! I’ll have to catch it on Netflix now. PS Yes, Goof Off is so good!

annabelvita
    January 3, 2012 at 10:29 am

Did you know Siri is a man here in the UK? He’s still hilarious though. Have you seen the Downton Abbey Christmas special they just did?

January 3, 2012 at 10:39 am

No, I didn’t know that, haha! And I haven’t seen the Downton Abbey Christmas special! Everything seems to be a year behind for us here in the States. Hopefully we’ll get the Christmas special next year! Fingers crossed : )

Ryan
    January 3, 2012 at 11:36 am

I, too, am crazy about my iPhone 4S. I’ve had way too much fun with Siri. 🙂 And I got Bananagrams as a Christmas present from a friend at work last year but never tried it out. Looks like my plans for tonight just got a lot more interesting! 🙂

Amy
    January 3, 2012 at 12:43 pm

I love love love Downton Abbey! My mother in law kept telling me to watch it for months and now I wish I would have watched it sooner!

Lori H
    January 3, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Yay! I love His and Her Faves. We love Bananagrams and have given up Scrabble for good (too slow moving after Bananagrams). I was getting ready to order Homemade anyway. I had never heard of Downtown Abbey until recently and now I think I have heard at least 5 references to it so I obviously much watch it!

Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove
    January 3, 2012 at 2:24 pm

I just started watching Downton Abbey and I am addicted. My husband and I watched all the episodes one evening, too. I am so excited to see what happens next!

Anna
    January 3, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Probably one of my favorite “Favorite Things” lists ever:)

Kelly
    January 3, 2012 at 2:54 pm

I love the dishtowels! Love the colors. Love Anthropologie! Love your blog:)

Lindsey @ arkadian belle woods
    January 4, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Hey Browns! I haven’t been by in a while! Love this list! Thanks for picking those dish towels Ashley! I’ve had a set I recieved last Christmas as a gift and I adore them but had no idea where they came from! They’re so interestingly different from the standard towels! Adds some punchy love to the stove/counter!

Amanda
    January 5, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Greg I love that you watch Phineas and Ferb, I do too! I’m a nut for it. And you’re right, there are tons of jokes and things that kids just don’t get. Which so makes it worth the watch!

Make fun of me if you will, but I’m 22 and yes sometimes I watch the Family/Disney channel. 🙂

Erin
    January 5, 2012 at 8:07 pm

I adore my iPhone 4s – and love Words with Friends! Who are you? Might request a game (I’m not very good.)

January 5, 2012 at 9:08 pm

GregandAshleyB (but I’m the one who plays, haha) I’m not very good either! ha!

Reese
    January 7, 2012 at 5:11 pm

David Tennant! My husband got me an Adipose plushy for Christmas. 🙂

Christin
    January 19, 2012 at 12:03 pm

I was sick for a while and am finally catching up on your blog! I really love those anthropology napkins you have. I think they would be a cute house warming gift for someone. And the idea of growing your own coffee beans is so cool! I think my fave things lately are The Hunger Games books (just started the second one!)and Frasier on Netflix instant – it kept me company while I was sick for several days. Your kitchen is looking ah-may-zing! I LOVE the subway tile and the glass door cabinets. Cannot wait for the finished product! Good luck with all the last steps and final touches!

Kristin
    January 23, 2012 at 4:09 pm

OMG! I just stumbled upon your blog through another blog, and while reading this post read that your from Belleville, Illinois? AWESOME! I also claim Belleville as my home.. sometimes. Although not born here, I have lived here since high school. Now married and one baby later, we are living in Fairview Heights remodeling our little home also. Love what youve done with your house so far!

January 23, 2012 at 6:40 pm

Yep, Greg was born there then his family moved to Richmond when he was older. Small world! Glad you found us : )