Kitchen

THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL

tile backsplash instillation

We promise we didn’t fall off the face of the earth! We put things on pause last week to spend time with Ash’s family in Florida. But we’re back and the kitchen backsplash is just about considered to be “done done”. After the countertop guys rolled out, the tile guys rolled in. While they were working, the plumbers came by to hook up the sinks in the kitchen and the half bath. At one point, there were five workers in our kitchen… at one time! Yes, it was a bit of a mad house, but it was all in the name of sweet, sweet progress. Here’s a few iPhone shots taken during the madness process…

tile backsplash instillation

You may notice one design element we haven’t talked about yet: the wall of subway tile. Ash decided to continue the subway tile around the corner and over the entire wall. I have to admit, I was a little hesitant about having so much subway tile. But so far, I’m loving the outcome and really glad Ashley convinced me it would be “so awesome”. As for Ash, she can’t help but squeal every time she walks through the kitchen.

tile backsplash instillation

Oh, and a bonus shot! Here’s the new countertop and vanity in the half bath in the laundry room. You can really get a good look at the countertop…

So, yes. The light is certainly at the end of the tunnel.

Btw, our hall bathroom renovation made it to Apartment Therapy! Click here to check it out…

Dee Dee
    January 18, 2012 at 2:37 pm

LOVE IT, ASH!!!! IT LOOKS FABULOUS!!!!

Melanie @ Mailbox Journey
    January 18, 2012 at 2:39 pm

It looks fantastic! Love the subway tile wall. πŸ™‚

Michelle from The236.net
    January 18, 2012 at 3:11 pm

I have to say that I seriously look forward to your kitchen posts as much as I get excited about Young House Love’s! Today was a great day – a kitchen post from you and one from YHL!

I love the counters in your bathroom. We’re in the thick of a bathroom reno right now and I wish we did similar counters to yours. They look amazing! Ah well – too late now! πŸ™‚ I’m sure I’ll love our finished bathroom, even with the thrifted (read: bought on Kijiji) counter that we have now.

Want to follow along with our bathroom reno? You can at http://www.the236.net.

Kitchen looks amazing! The subway tile is fab!
    Michelle (@The236)

Megan
    January 18, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Glad to know you guys are alive. I was starting to get worried! But your kitchen looks fabulous! πŸ™‚

Lindsey @ arkadian belle woods
    January 18, 2012 at 3:36 pm

WHOA! That tile is stellar! I am so loving your kitchen! It’s seriously gorgeous! That granite is mindblowing…..so amazing!

Shellie
    January 18, 2012 at 3:44 pm

It’s coming together beautifully, can’t wait to see the final reveal!

Lori B.
    January 18, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Wow! The backsplash makes such a huge difference in the look of the room. All that tile is a great statement! And I LOVE the bathroom vanity!!

Jill Wright
    January 18, 2012 at 11:12 pm

It looks incredible! You must be so excited.

Wondered if you were still selling the personalized dates posters? I didn’t see them on the etsy shop this week. Thanks!

Shauna
    January 19, 2012 at 1:26 am

Your kitchen is coming along nicely and I’m enjoying the updates along the way. However, please tell me more about your bathroom sink! I’m in love!! I’m hoping and dreaming to one day do a major master bath remodel and I would love nice big under-mount rectangle sinks just like yours.

Courtney
    January 19, 2012 at 8:56 am

It’s looking good! I can’t wait to see the finished product. I will definitely be pinning this kitchen to my pinterest!

Christin
    January 19, 2012 at 11:54 am

It’s looking so fabulous!!

January 19, 2012 at 10:52 pm

Ahhhh, the first thing I noticed was the subway tile. LOVE it. I think your kitchen is going to be in magazines very soon:)

Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove
    January 21, 2012 at 11:37 am

The subway tile IS awesome! What a great choice. The kitchen is looking beautiful and I can’t wait to see it all done!

Chanelle
    January 24, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Our downstairs bathroom also has a big gaping hole from a medicine cabinet that was inset in the wall. How did Greg patch it?

January 26, 2012 at 9:45 pm

Well, first off… he cut into the drywall around the hole to make it a smooth rectangle. Then he cut a piece of new drywall the same size (He got the new piece at Home Depot for $2 because the corner of it was damaged. He didn’t need the whole piece, so he just cut off the damaged part). After that, he taped up the seems with drywall tape, spackled, and sanded it down a few times until it was completely smooth. Once it was COMPLETELY dry, we primed and painted.

Hope that helps!! : )

Christi
    June 13, 2016 at 12:13 am

Lol b/c we are in the midst of a kitchen reno and when friends ask “how’s it going?” I saw, ” well we can see the light at the end of the tunnel!” Clicky clicked over here from who knows where b/c I like the kitchen sink faucet! Can you tell me brand? We have a fireclay apron front sink but we aren’t going for a complete farmhouse look and I think yalls looks just right!

Christi
    June 13, 2016 at 12:15 am

ps I realize there isn’t a close up pic of your kitchen sink on this post but of bathroom sink…but I am asking about kitchen sink πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

June 26, 2016 at 10:04 pm