Kitchen

A KITCHEN UPDATE

kitchen sink

We’re back with yet another kitchen update! If you squint while you look at these photos, it will look like the kitchen is completely finished…

But if you look closer, you’ll notice some missing pieces, dangling wires, and empty canisters on the counter.Β We’ll get to the full to-do list in a minute, but while Greg has been tending to the dangling wires, the one thing that’s been taking up most of my brain power is accessorizing. There are a like bajillion ways to “decorate” a kitchen, and I’m in the process of playing around with a bunch of different scenarios. Our poor mixer has been moved at least 12 times! Frames, apples, cutting boards, ceramic owls, canisters… it seems like I’m going through every option imaginable. Hopefully I’ll end up finding a “scene” that feels right soonΒ — before Greg’s patience runs out and he starts super-gluing everything to the countertops!

With this being a white-on-white kitchen, we can go down pretty much any avenue of color schemes. Overall, I’m trying to add some touches of dark to break up all of the white, mixed in with some colors from our “stack of books color scheme“…

So far, our favorite thing about the new kitchen is the fact that we have a working sink and faucet (we’ll post more about the where and how much later). We went so long without having a kitchen sink that every time we go to pour out a glass or rinse a plate, we geek out a little inside.

As I was saying, there are a lot of odds and ends to finish up before the kitchen is considered complete. There is some missing trim on the cabinets, such as the piece missing in the top left of the above photo. We had to take them off in order for the tile to be installed. There are also wires hanging out from under the upper cabinets for the under-cabinet lighting.

Also, we have yet to install the floating shelves to the left of the window over the sink. I’m so looking forward to putting these in so that we can see the idea that’s been in our heads come to life.

About four weeks ago, we ordered this light fixture to go above the sink. It’s on backorder, but it should be coming to our front doorstep in a week or two. Fingers crossed. That along with a new shade for the window will really dress things up a bit.

Okay, now it’s list time. Here are the things on our to-do list:

• Finish installing trim pieces on the cabinets
  • Build and install floating shelves to the left of the window
  • Shop for and hang window treatments
  • Shop for and install under-cabinet lighting
  • Hang new light fixture (when it finally gets here!)
  • Accessorize!

Even though we still have a small-ish to-do list to tackle, and it’s not technically “done done” quite yet, we’re amazed at how far the kitchen has come since we first closed on the house…

Craziness!

Melanie @ Mailbox Journey
    February 6, 2012 at 10:00 am

I can’t wait to see that open shelving!

Ellie
    February 6, 2012 at 10:06 am

Ooh! It’s gorgeous! I’m drooling–and turning a few shades of green! Great job, guys!

Jen
    February 6, 2012 at 10:11 am

WOW. It’s not even the same kitchen. KUDOS! It looks amazing and so Martha-eque! Great job.

Susanna
    February 6, 2012 at 10:27 am

Your kitchen is fabulous! I love a white kitchen. I can’t wait to do something similar to mine.

April
    February 6, 2012 at 10:35 am

I like it…I feel one thing I would do differently if it was for me would be to leave one wall free of the subway tile, it seems like a bit much to be enclosed on all 4 sides by it.

Beth H.
    February 6, 2012 at 10:53 am

Oh wow I love every single thing about this kitchen. Looking forward to seeing the final “after” pictures!

Rachel
    February 6, 2012 at 10:57 am

You guys did a fab job!! I especially love the subway tile wall and the sink! Those make the kitchen so non cookie cutter and SO Martha Stewart!

Carrisa
    February 6, 2012 at 11:00 am

Fabulous. It’s totally pin worthy.

Kim
    February 6, 2012 at 11:07 am

Ohmygoodness. Finished or not, the kitchen is looking GORGEOUS!!! I love the subway tiles with those floors! And that sink!!

Andrea
    February 6, 2012 at 11:09 am

Looks great so far.

Priscilla
    February 6, 2012 at 12:06 pm

I really want to love this kitchen since I been following your blog. But it feels to sterile-hospital like with all the white subway tile. I love white kitchens but I think the downfall is the subway tile, as you gave it no breather. Feeling like I am in a new york subway .. πŸ™

February 6, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Thanks for your feedback! : ) Maybe the photos make it look a little sterile, but it really doesn’t come across that way in person. Once we get some more color/accessories in the kitchen (and maybe some wall art on the wall of tile), it will all come together. It’s a work in progress ; )

Rhonda B
    February 6, 2012 at 12:25 pm

LOVE! LOVE! LOVE!

MEGAN M
    February 6, 2012 at 12:46 pm

It looks fabulous…I can only imagine what it will look like after you’ve finished styling it! Well done:)

Rhea
    February 6, 2012 at 12:51 pm

It looks like it will be a grat kitchen to cook in! It looks very inviting. I can already see cookie dough spread out on your peninsula.

C. Hughes
    February 6, 2012 at 1:05 pm

I can only imagine how happy you and Greg are to have a working kitchen again!!! We’re in the middle of a DIY project of putting in a new sink and dishwasher and I am going stir crazy! I think the craziness is because we’re doing the project ourselves:) My husband is definitely is NOT a plumber, but I think I’ll keep him. πŸ˜‰ Your kitchen is beautiful and I can’t wait to see the “done done” pictures. Great job!

JJ Wright
    February 6, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Beautiful.

John@ Our Home from Scratch
    February 6, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Major kitchen envy… love it! farmhouse sink, tiles! too. much. awesomeness.

Courtney
    February 6, 2012 at 2:19 pm

It’s gorgeous!! I’d really love to see the other side of the peninsula. We are hopefully buying a home soon that will get an added peninsula to the kitchen. I’m looking for inspiration. Thanks!

Melissa @ HOUSEography
    February 6, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Fantabulous job Ashley!!! That tile wall is so awesome I want to scream.

ashley @ sunnysideshlee.com
    February 6, 2012 at 3:13 pm

It looks beautiful! I love the whiteness of it because you’re absolutely right … you can always always always change your accent color whenever you want … time of year, mood, etc. Great “semi-end” product!

Barb
    February 6, 2012 at 3:32 pm

I am so in love with this kitchen and LOVE THE WHITENESS about it. Screams C.L.E.A.N. to me. Nothing better than that. I wish it were mine. SO darn jealous and so happy for you that it is close to completion.

Don’t let anyone tell you it is boring. IT IS STUNNING!!!!!

LUCKY YOU!!!!

Barb

Debbie @ My Little Mess
    February 6, 2012 at 4:17 pm

I love your kitchen, especially the farmhouse sink – I want one so bad! I can’t wait to see the open shelving installed.

M
    February 6, 2012 at 5:04 pm

I am absolutely head over heals with every finish you selected, but the wall of tile is killing it for me. I reserve final opinion for when you add art and break up the white tile wall. Beyond that, it’s truly a stunning kitchen. My guess is that opinions will be polarizing because of the tiled wall…you’ll either love it or dislike it, with few in between.

My apologies if my opinion comes across as snarky because I’m not trying to be. Perhaps it’s the horrible day I’ve had causing me to take my frustration out on your kitchen. The reality is that I’m a math teacher stuck in a dead end, low paying job teaching the next generation of criminals and Arby’s workers, with a complete dipshit for a principal…further, I can’t even afford to remodel a kitchen with cheap, ugly finishes, so bravo to you guys for knowing exactly what you want and making it happen, regardless of complete strangers thoughts on what constitutes a beautiful kitchen and what does not.

February 6, 2012 at 5:59 pm

We definitely don’t take offense to people not digging the tile wall. To each his/her own. We just wish it would photograph better so people can get a feel for what it’s like in person. I just need to learn to take better photos ; )

Staci @ My Friend Staci
    February 6, 2012 at 5:11 pm

That sink!!! A farmhouse sink is truly what I would choose if I ever got the opportunity. I am so sick of vintage (cough, OLD) shallow sinks that make it hard to even fill a pot for pasta. I got spoiled working at a restaurant with an extremely deep stainless steel sink! Also… those floors are so gorgeous!!!

Sarah
    February 6, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Love! It’s absolutely beautiful! Great job – you made all the right choices and judging from your blog personas, it looks just perfect for you

erica p.
    February 6, 2012 at 6:34 pm

So funny…I ordered that exact same West Elm pendant on back order to go over my kitchen sink! Your space looks so beautiful…I have major kitchen envy!

Laurie L.
    February 6, 2012 at 6:52 pm

OMG! I’d take is as is! I’ll be very anxious to see it when it’s finished. It looks very “cook” friendly!

Jennifer Russell
    February 6, 2012 at 7:24 pm

I LOVE IT! You both have incredible style!!!

Sara Smith
    February 6, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Stunning! Classic, clean, and truly beautiful. An A+ from THIS teacher! πŸ™‚

Lori
    February 6, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Your kitchen looks amazing and I didn’t notice any of the unfinished parts until you pointed them out! The light fixture you picked out is incredible – I can’t wait to see it hanging!

Sarah Kyle
    February 7, 2012 at 11:21 am

Ashley and Greg- GREAT work! I have been dying to see a close-to-finished photo and can’t say enough good things about your new kitchen! The space is just beautiful! Great work! πŸ™‚

Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove
    February 7, 2012 at 12:46 pm

The kitchen looks amazing! I am in awe of it!

Priscilla
    February 7, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Hahaha Teacher M said it perfectly. Looking forward to the artwork.. but im completely jealous either way. πŸ˜› Still not 100% on that tile wall

Petra
    February 7, 2012 at 9:48 pm

Looks like a much more functional layout now, and I love the glass-front cabinets! Bit much white for me too, so my next suggestion might sound funny: use some metal paint to paint the toe kick under the dishwasher white too (or adhere some white toekick material) so the dishwasher is truly hidden!

MELANIE
    February 9, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Okay! I’m reading over these comments and it seems like people aren’t reading! They aren’t finished with the kitchen people!!! πŸ˜› LOL I’m sure once the last shelves go up and are filled with things and you get some artwork, the kitchen is going to look much less white and even more awesome. I think you guys have done an AWESOME job and I can’t wait to see the final after photos!

PS How’s that for my first comment ever? LOL

Kate
    February 9, 2012 at 5:02 pm

I hope you will post an update soon! I can’t wait to hear your thoughts for accessories. Maybe you could start a pin board to show us your thinking. Can’t wait!

Michela
    February 11, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Ashley~
    Just plain WOW!!! You did an amazing job and I am certain that you will pick the perfect accessories and window treatment to make it all pop. This is VERY well deserved considering how long that you waited. My favorite is the sink and the glass front cabinets that you added to the side wall. The open shelving is a must and great idea.

I do have a question. How did you handle the window that used to be on the side wall? Did you leave it place on the outside of the house and sheet rock it in on the inside? Or did you remove it completely and brick it in on the outside? We have a long term plan for a kitchen remodel and we have 2 small problem windows that I am undecided what to do with them. Ours have to stay in place for the purposes of symmetry on the outside of the house. I’m interested in seeing how you handled this.

Anyway, congratulations on another job well done!
    Michela

February 12, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Hey Michela! Thanks so much : )

Since we’re planning to close in the carport (way down the road), we removed the window completely and bricked it in on the outside. For kitchen window inspiration, you should definitely check out Pinterest. Just type “kitchen window” in the search bar and a ton of kitchen window/cabinet/seating/storage scenarios will come up.

Hope that helps!

L
    February 11, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Looks amazing! Can’t wait to see the finished product!

Kristin
    February 12, 2012 at 12:13 am

Looks great! cant wait to see the open shelving and more color… aqua or spa blue maybe? what kind of window treatments are you tossing around?

February 12, 2012 at 11:13 am

Thanks! We’re thinking some simple roman shades maybe in a dark color (gray, or dark charcoal). The jury is still out on that, haha : )

Susannah
    February 27, 2012 at 2:51 pm

I LOVE your kitchen! It is really turning out beautifully. I am over the moon in love with your counters too! The durability of quartz with a look so similar to marble is amazing!
    Also- I just wanted to let you know that I nominated your great blog for The Versatile Blogger Award. I don’t comment a ton but everything you are doing here is GREAT

February 29, 2012 at 9:13 am

Thank you so much, Susannah! : )

Lisidy
    March 8, 2012 at 8:47 pm

The kitchen looks great – you have fantastic taste. Maybe it’s tacky to mention, but I just don’t understand how you afford all these great upgrades and beautiful furniture pieces.

March 9, 2012 at 5:45 am

Well, we were kitchen-less for almost a year, that gave us a lot of motivation and time to save as much as we could before tackling such a large project. Also, going into a big reno like this, we had an idea of how much it was going to cost – so not much caught us by surprise. We’ll be sure to do a whole budget breakdown of the kitchen reno in the future.

Ann-Marie
    March 28, 2012 at 12:39 am

Hi! I love your kitchen! Just wondering which brand sink you went with and what type?

Thanks so much,
    Ann-Marie

March 28, 2012 at 8:09 am

Thanks! It’s the Dickinson apron-front, undercounter sink by Kholer. We recommend checking around online for prices, then taking that price to Lowe’s. They’ll match the price and (from our experience) have great customer service to back it up! Hope that helps! : )

Ann-Marie
      March 28, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Thanks!

Kelly (Kelly is Inspired)
    March 28, 2012 at 8:48 am

So incredibly beautiful! Love your kitchen!

September 22, 2015 at 6:19 pm

Where did you get your cabinet hardware?

October 28, 2015 at 10:20 am