It’s the first day of the month, and you know what that means! For me, this month’s favorite things are all about letting out your inner geek. You can be geeky about anything: instruments, cars, TV, and (of course) computers. Hopefully my picks will inspire you to explore your quirky and fun, yet handy and logical side!
1. My long-lost Epiphone Les Paul Standard – This is actually one of my favorite objects in the world. During my teens and through college, this guitar was my go-to axe for pretty much everything. Well, after spending some time in a less-than-hospitable closet at our old apartment, my beloved guitar developed an issue that made it unplayable… until last week. I finally developed the guts (I already had the knowledge–it was just applying it that scared me) to try to fix the problem myself, and it worked beautifully. Needless to say, Ashley has been hearing a lot of music coming from my office in the last few days!
2. Geek Love Poem T-Shirt – In my opinion, this is a really great combination of web designer and geek humor. It says, “I was a geek before it was cool.” Younger geeks probably won’t understand the second half of the shirt, but that’s just a great opportunity to introduce them to one of the greatest Internet memes of all time! All your base are belong to us!
3. Black & Decker Jump Starter – This little gem has come in handy too many times to count! I may have used it a total of one time to actually jump start a car, but the real star here (in my opinion) is the built-in tire inflator. I don’t know about everybody else, but flat tires always seem to happen while I’m out, not while I’m at home. Having a battery-powered air compressor right there in my trunk has saved me from having to change a tire more than a few times, and I can’t imagine owning a car and not having one of these with me everywhere I go.
4. Geek Magnetic Poetry – I got this in my stocking for Christmas, and now I just can’t wait to get a big magnetic wipe-off board! However, I’m not planning on using them for poetry! You see, I love putting ideas on a wipe-off board, and these will work perfectly for labeling things as I draw them out. I’ll also be able to use them to hang pieces of paper on the board, since post-it notes don’t typically hold up to long-term use and movement. Even with this “serious” use case in mind, being able to label a “flamey galactic dragon micro battle” on my idea board using only magnets is pretty awesome, don’t you think?
5. Sherlock - Here’s a little math for you: Sherlock Holmes + modern timeline + 2 of the best writers from Doctor Who = awesome. Each episode is like its own little movie. Great writing, fun characters, and high production value make this show a must-watch for anybody who likes good television with a logic-y, science-y twist. (Yes, those are technical terms!) If you need any more convincing, just imagine Doctor Who meets House.
Once you’re done watching all 3 available episodes of Sherlock on Netflix, come on back and read Ashley’s favorites. We’ll wait! Promise.
1. Warby Parker’s Home Try-On Program – I’ve been on the lookout for some fun reading glasses. I have a super “light” glasses prescription and I’m “supposed” to wear them when I’m on the computer or reading. I never really do that, so I thought if I had a cooler pair of glasses, I’d wear them more. Priorities, right? I came across Warby Parker via Twitter and so far, it’s pretty awesome. Basically, you shop for glasses on their website, pick out your top five favorites, and then you get to try the frames out for five days, for free! I love the concept because you can get a chance to ask all of your friends and family their opinions. Super cool.
2. J.R. Watkins All Purpose Cleaner – This is the latest and greatest addition to my cleaning bucket. I literally use it every single day… maybe more than once. It’s streak-free, earth-friendly, smells really good, and it’s been great to use on the new countertops – which, by the way, we’ll be showing you photos of on Monday!
3. Dubois Mirrors – Greg and I have had our eyes on these mirrors from Crate & Barrel for what seems like forever. My parents actually have a set of 8 of these over the sofa in their living room. Every time I’m over there, I think, “Those would look really good in…”. We finally got around to getting a set of our own, and we’re so stoked about finding a place for them.
4. All Wrapped Up Necklace – While I’m normally a “silver girl”, I’ve been getting in a gold jewelry kick lately – which is one of the reasons I love this Kate Spade necklace. I also like how it’s small and dainty enough to be layered with other necklaces. And, yep, it’s on sale! Holla.
5. Magenta Tape Measure – Since we’re currently on the lookout for a foyer table (we took the antique dresser that was in the foyer and put it in the laundry room), it’s always nice to have a tape measure on hand so you don’t have to guestimate if a table will fit or not. So for about a month, I’ve been carrying around this huge, massive, contractor-size tape measure in my purse. I think literally adds 10 pounds to my bag! So while in Crate & Barrel last week, I picked up one of these cute puppies. It’s super handy, measures up to five feet, and better yet… it’s only 2″ in diameter.
6. Love You More Than Letterpress tags – I’m a sucker for cute paper. Always have, always will be. Even though these are technically called “tags”, paired with these baby envelopes, they’d be adorable little notes to leave randomly around the house for your better half.
So, those are our favorite things this month. What are yours?