Tips + Tricks

QUICK TIP: ONION SMELL, BE GONE!

baking soda

Last week, I made some yummy taco soup for dinner (recipe courtesy of Kevin + Layla). Along with the soup, I chopped up some raw onion to go on top. And yes, it was delish! The only thing was, after the taco soup was gone, the the onion smell stayed around – even though I double-bagged the onion and wiped down the fridge twice! We all know the put-a-box-of-baking-soda-in-the-fridge-trick, right? Rather than just stashing the open box in the fridge, I put the baking soda in a glass shaker jar…

Putting it in a container like this exposes more baking soda to the air inside the fridge. The reason baking soda works as a deodorant is the sodium bicarbonate neutralizes acidic particles in the air (aka: the source of a lot of bad smells). Greg told me that, can’t you tell? On the flip side, a shaker jar is just prettier than a cardboard box – and you know how I get when pretty and practical meet. It’s awesome. The end result: Goodbye onion smell!

Melanie @ Mailbox Journey
    March 20, 2012 at 9:47 am

You guys drink POM, How is it? I can’t get myself to spend the $10 on it at the grocery store. So much for such a little bottle.

Love the shaker idea! πŸ™‚

March 20, 2012 at 9:49 am

I use it in my tea. It’s really good! It’s also good in lemonade. A little goes a long way, so it lasts a while ; )

Layla
    March 20, 2012 at 10:32 am

What an AWESOME idea! Thanks for sharing!
    (We’ve got the same smell in our fridge right now- ha!) πŸ˜‰

Staci @ My Friend Staci
    March 20, 2012 at 10:49 am

I dilute my POM with other stuff like tea, lemonade, sprite, too!

This is such a “duh” idea… which of course means it’s genius! I may have to go to the restaurant supply store and get a shaker like that too. I assume when it loses some effectiveness, you just shake it up and expose new baking soda particles to the air?

March 20, 2012 at 11:04 am

Yep! I forgot to mention that tip, haha πŸ™‚

Jessica @ Decor Adventures
    March 20, 2012 at 11:02 am

Great tip! I just was looking at a little container like that which I have wondering what I could do with it. I’ll put it together later. Perfect for spring cleaning!

Lori H
    March 20, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Great idea, and I actually already have baking soda in a shaker because sometimes I like to sprinkle baking soda on my carpet before I vacuum (to make sure there are no lingering doggy smells). Now I can make another one and put it in my fridge. Much better than the orange box!

Amanda
    March 20, 2012 at 9:12 pm

This is such a great idea. + I love when the inside of my fridge looks just as pretty as things I put on the counter. πŸ™‚ Can I ask where you got the shaker & the labels? The labels are especially cute.

March 20, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Thanks! I picked up the shaker at Home Goods and the labels are Staples’ Martha Stewart line (why of course! lol).